Hey guys,

I have the 8330m on the Alltel network. About a month ago I did the GPS fix and everything was working great until Thursday (July 2nd). All of the sudden I can't acquire a satellite signal. I have .127. Do you guys think upgrading and then redoing the fix will work?

Are you using TeleNav ?

I am with a 8830 and I have problems with lost audio alerts
    we now know this is a problem with .160

Does pulling your battery work for you ?
    07-09-09 09:18 AM
    If by "fix" you mean the Qpst thing where you enter alltels ip it isn't affected by an OS wipe/reinstall or upgrade. Mine has worked perfectly since I did that "fix".
    Yeah by "fix" I mean changing the settings under QPST. All of the sudden while using the GPS it just stopped getting a signal. Thing is mine was working perfectly as well but now nothing. I went back into QPST last night and all the settings were still set to the proper thing. I re-wrote to the phone anyway, reset and still nothing. This is really odd. Anyway that Alltel can block this? I am assuming they could since it is based off access to a certain IP.

Are you using TeleNav ?

I am with a 8830 and I have problems with lost audio alerts
    we now know this is a problem with .160

Does pulling your battery work for you ?
    I am not using TeleNav. I had been using BBmaps and AmazeGPS and they were working great. Not anymore though. I have .127 so not sure if I am affected the same way. Did the equivalent of a battery pull (soft reset) numerous times and still nothing. I may have to try upgrading or reinstalling the OS. Some of the apps on my phone don't function anymore now either. I am left scratching my head.
    07-09-09 09:51 AM
    Try this one. I find it works well on my pearl os 4.5 Download Nav4All

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 10:08 AM
    Try this one. I find it works well on my pearl os 4.5 Download Nav4All
    It's not the app that is broken. The phone will not find any satellites. It won't detect satellites in any of the four GPS apps I have.
    07-09-09 10:13 AM
    I did the fix I found in these forums and haven't had an issue at all
    07-09-09 10:42 AM
    If you install GPSed on your BB it will unlock it. First you have to go into options, advanced options, and turn Location "on." Keep GPSed running and then go into google maps. As people have said, it is a weak GPS chip so try to keep it out in the open.
    07-15-09 10:21 AM
    Hello Mystic54, My name is Jacob and I just wanted to let you know you can get GPS will not work now because your using cell tower triangulation instead of acctual Satellite connection. Here's the fix:

1. Download Telenav. The monthly charge is 9.99 as you know but it is free for the first month. in the event they do charge you 9.99 for your "free month of service", simply call alltel *611 or 1-800-255-8351 to cancel it. I will even call and cancel it for you if you want (I work for Alltel).

2. On your Pearl go to options/advanced options/GPS/GPS Services, turn ON

3. Go into Telenav let it load to the main screen and select Maps/location. let it lock your location. this is important because it "unlocks" your gps by telling the phone to search for Satellites instead of the cell tower fall back system.

4. Close Telenav, open Blackberry maps select the Menu button/Find Loaction/Where I Am. And then BOOM!! you gots the G's P's S's.

Im me or post here for any questions.

*NOTE* go back to Telenav and under options you can cancel subscription. Don't be affraid of the service fee. You didn't hear it from me but with Alltel merging with Verizon they have been VERY slack with Charges, Contract date removals, Etc.
    07-15-09 10:59 AM
    Cancelling telenav doesn't seem to be quite that simple. I used for 3 weeks then deleted/cancelled it(this was in march). I still get billed for it and have to call cs every month when my bill comes to get credited. Last month I was told I have to pay it then it would show as a credit this month...we'll see.

07-15-09 11:47 AM
    The cancellation and second month credit is standard policy. I know that works 90% of the time so hopefully your not in the lower 10 percentile!! lol. Sorry for the inconvience. I wish people didnt have to get so aggrevated when speaking with CS to get things done but maybe thats the route needed to get the service removed.
    07-15-09 12:19 PM
    I'm really not that irritated and I certainly don't take it out on the person on the end of the phone call. I know its not their fault, hopefully it will all be fine with this billing cycle.

07-15-09 01:30 PM
    Hello Mystic54, My name is Jacob and I just wanted to let you know you can get GPS will not work now because your using cell tower triangulation instead of acctual Satellite connection. Here's the fix:

1. Download Telenav. The monthly charge is 9.99 as you know but it is free for the first month. in the event they do charge you 9.99 for your "free month of service", simply call alltel *611 or 1-800-255-8351 to cancel it. I will even call and cancel it for you if you want (I work for Alltel).

2. On your Pearl go to options/advanced options/GPS/GPS Services, turn ON

3. Go into Telenav let it load to the main screen and select Maps/location. let it lock your location. this is important because it "unlocks" your gps by telling the phone to search for Satellites instead of the cell tower fall back system.

4. Close Telenav, open Blackberry maps select the Menu button/Find Loaction/Where I Am. And then BOOM!! you gots the G's P's S's.

Im me or post here for any questions.

*NOTE* go back to Telenav and under options you can cancel subscription. Don't be affraid of the service fee. You didn't hear it from me but with Alltel merging with Verizon they have been VERY slack with Charges, Contract date removals, Etc.
    So we use the trial to activate the gps in our fone but when we cancel it the gps will still work with other programs? So it will work without paying the 10 dollars per month?
    07-21-09 08:05 PM
    Yes, but it takes about 3 months to actually get telenav cancelled and not show up on your bill anymore. I am now no longer being billed for telenav and yes my gps works with other programs.

07-21-09 08:23 PM
    That's awesome! Thanks guys!
    07-21-09 11:27 PM
    Alltel locks out the gps by not programing the codes into the software. The only way to fix it for free is to hack your phone and enter the codes yourself. Heartless hero has a walk through on how to do it. Its what I did for my curve and it works now.

07-24-09 02:25 PM
    Alltel locks out the gps by not programing the codes into the software. The only way to fix it for free is to hack your phone and enter the codes yourself. Heartless hero has a walk through on how to do it. Its what I did for my curve and it works now.

Link??????
    07-24-09 02:34 PM
    The GPS on Alltel is not locked. Update your phone OS to version 4.5.0.131 or higher and you will be fine. No hack is needed.
    07-24-09 03:14 PM
    I'm running .160 have never hacked or done a "fix" and my gps works fine.

07-24-09 04:51 PM
    Here is the page to set up your ip address
    forums.crackberry.com/f41/real-fix-broken-gps-guide-v1-0-a-192999/

07-27-09 01:51 PM
    Here is the page to set up your ip address
    forums.crackberry.com/f41/real-fix-broken-gps-guide-v1-0-a-192999/

You don't need to do any "fix" to an alltel bb to get the gps to work with 3rd party apps. Just install os .131 or higher and *poof* the gps works. Unfortunately most of the 3rd party gps apps I've tried are mostly 3rd rate.

07-27-09 03:25 PM
    Nobody asked for about a 3rd party app. Just how to fix it and that was how I fixed it on my phone. When I got my blackberry I was running a .131 or higher and it still didn't work then so that was what I did to fix it.

07-27-09 08:13 PM
    Ok, installing .131 or higher will allow the gps to work(semantics). Most alltel curves come running .127. If that fix worked for you that's great but for most probably not necessary.

On a side note the gps will work with bbmaps or telenav without any changing of the os so if you are unlocking it its probably for a 3rd party app.

Last edited by grandpa dan; 07-27-09 at 08:34 PM.
    07-27-09 08:29 PM
    Nobody asked for about a 3rd party app. Just how to fix it and that was how I fixed it on my phone. When I got my blackberry I was running a .131 or higher and it still didn't work then so that was what I did to fix it.

07-27-09 08:33 PM
    Disregard that last repost

07-27-09 08:37 PM
    You know for this whole form you can just go under gps and mapping section of the forms to get the answers

07-27-09 08:39 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD