I recently emailed Alltel in response to my GPS not working no matter what anybody in here tried to tell me to do, nothing worked. My response back was that Alltel does not support GPS outside of paid apps. I asked why it works on Alltel Curve's etc but was told it doesn't (weird huh?).

I can't see why they have any reason to lock it down on the Pearl's but not the Curve's. I just want a feature that was advertised for my phone!!!
    07-05-09 08:48 PM
    What OS version is on the device?
    07-05-09 10:23 PM
    That was the first suggestion given to me on these forums (to upgrade my device). I am on the highest version I can currently go and there still is no difference.

4.5.0.160 (253).
    07-05-09 10:32 PM
    I can't see why they have any reason to lock it down on the Pearl's but not the Curve's. I just want a feature that was advertised for my phone!!!
    So does TeleNav even work?
    07-05-09 11:47 PM
    So does TeleNav even work?
    I was told TeleNav would work by the Alltel rep. I have avoided TeleNav completely though because of all the horror stories. Even if you activate it and then cancel it right away I heard they still charge.
    07-06-09 12:06 AM
    I was told TeleNav would work by the Alltel rep. I have avoided TeleNav completely though because of all the horror stories. Even if you activate it and then cancel it right away I heard they still charge.
    Okay, so then it is working as advertised. GPS via TeleNav is what Alltel requires.

Check out Alltel.com -
    Blackberry Pearl: GPS Capable w/Navigation Sold Separately.
    Sounds like Alltel doesn't really have a problem if it is working as designed.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 07-06-09 at 12:14 AM.
    07-06-09 12:11 AM
    what about google maps?
    07-06-09 12:18 AM
    Okay, so then it is working as advertised. GPS via TeleNav is what Alltel requires.

Check out Alltel.com -
    Sounds like Alltel doesn't really have a problem if it is working as designed.
    When I checked out Alltel earlier, I could have swore I didn't see "sold separately". That doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy a product to get it working, sounds like they leave it open to other programs such as BB maps and Google Maps.

sdelthon: No program works even if I give Google Maps 10 minutes when trying to locate a satellite.

When it works for others, that is where I take offense.
    07-06-09 12:23 AM
    When I checked out Alltel earlier, I could have swore I didn't see "sold separately". That doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy a product to get it working, sounds like they leave it open to other programs such as BB maps and Google Maps.

sdelthon: No program works even if I give Google Maps 10 minutes when trying to locate a satellite.

When it works for others, that is where I take offense.
    Seriously - it means TeleNav activates the GPS capabilities. You should know this or else you wouldn't be trying to get around it lol..

It isn't supposed to work for others - that's the problem. So you call/email Alltel and we have to tell you - we don't support it. Just like WE know that a Verizon phone CAN be activated on Alltel's network, but we cannot support it (troubleshoot and try to help you figure out why something isn't working). It is just something we cannot support unless you buy the TeleNav application.

It sucks man I know - I don't agree with disabling ANY feature on ANY phone.
    07-06-09 12:31 AM
    With the .160 OS, BBMaps should work without activating TeleNav. The .127 OS does not allow this. Just give the BBMaps some time to find the sats on your first attempt and do it outdoors. Google Maps works sometimes, but you need to fire up BBMaps first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 06:43 AM
    Yeah, the lack of a GPS lock in Google Maps is more a Google Maps issue than an Alltel issue.

Try to get a satellite lock in BBMaps.

Be sure you are in an open area. Start the GPS Navigation in BBMaps. Wait at least 15 minutes for the initial cold fix.
    07-06-09 07:42 AM
    My Pearl is on .160 and the GPS works with BB Maps fine. The only way I can get a lock with Google Maps is to fire up BlackStar first, back out with it still running and then fire up Google Maps.

That works for about 15 minutes, then I lose lock again.

PITA
    07-06-09 09:59 AM
    Yeah, that's a Google Maps issue because of the way Google Maps interacts with the GPS receiver.
    07-06-09 10:34 AM
    Yea well I never originally waited 15 minutes for it to get the lock, just about 10. Sadly though, each time it takes at least 15 minutes to get a lock. Any ideas?
    07-06-09 03:07 PM
    The real sad part about all this is once vzw takes over all this may be moot as we all know they block all third party gps access.

07-06-09 04:45 PM
    tele sucks i mean like why woodnt it froogle?
    07-06-09 04:53 PM
    The real sad part about all this is once vzw takes over all this may be moot as we all know they block all third party gps access.
    Well, that's inaccurate on three fronts.

1. Nothing will change as long as you still have an Alltel device.

2. And Verizon has "unlocked" the GPS on the Curve for use with BBMaps and with the Storm with all apps and with future devices, likely the same.

3. Google Maps is flaky with GPS period even on Alltel. So Verizon isn't blocking much.

And trust me, I'm no Verizon fan.
    07-06-09 08:02 PM
    There is a trick to unlocking alltels gps capabilities. I have an 8330 curve on alltel mine works. In fact I've had 3 curves gps has worked on all. Look up a thread titled telus gps fix. Or something like that. Its not hard. It will make gps work on any gps program including google maps

07-06-09 08:16 PM
    Yeah, the lack of a GPS lock in Google Maps is more a Google Maps issue than an Alltel issue.

Try to get a satellite lock in BBMaps.

Be sure you are in an open area. Start the GPS Navigation in BBMaps. Wait at least 15 minutes for the initial cold fix.
    After the initial 15 minutes why does it take an additional 15 minutes to find me again if I don't close BB maps?
    07-06-09 08:18 PM
    Ultimately the answer is that the GPS chip is weak. It's not a high sensitivity chip as is found on modern dedicated GPS units (although it is very accurate).

The BlackBerry GPS chip loses it's signal much, much more easily than any of my Garmin GPS units which will keep a strong signal under even heavy tree cover due to their high sensitivity GPS chip.

So, it is what is.
    07-06-09 09:26 PM
    Yeah it seems that the gps unit on these phones is really mostly a novelty. If a person has a real need for regular use of a gps navigation system then laying out the $100 for a garmin or tom tom is a far better way to spend your money. $10 a month for a marginal nav app or trying to make due with the free apps is really just not worth it IMO.

07-07-09 02:22 AM
    I have 8330m Curve from Alltel. I could never get a satellite lock anywhere until i found a fix in one of these forums using QPTS. After that i quickly got a satellite lock with BBMaps, but have never got a lock with googlemaps. I halfway installed telenav in an attempt to get googlemaps but never clicked the activate button because of people getting charged for the 30 day free period.

I installed aMaze and that works too. So Im just concluding that its a googlemaps thing thats causing it.
    07-07-09 08:24 AM
    I can only speak for the 8830 and TeleNav, but I have problems losing the audio on the GPS , TeleNav has been working on why this is happening but it is believed that the problem is with the current OS 4.5.0.160
    07-08-09 12:13 AM
    Hey guys,

I have the 8330m on the Alltel network. About a month ago I did the GPS fix and everything was working great until Thursday (July 2nd). All of the sudden I can't acquire a satellite signal. I have .127. Do you guys think upgrading and then redoing the fix will work?
    07-09-09 09:03 AM
    If by "fix" you mean the Qpst thing where you enter alltels ip it isn't affected by an OS wipe/reinstall or upgrade. Mine has worked perfectly since I did that "fix".

forkup
    07-09-09 09:14 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD