The only reason I am posting this is because I came across someone today who somehow managed to get an Alltel device on a VZW plan. This shouldn't be possible but happened. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a drawer full of Alltel phones that I want to use, I am highly displeased with my Storm and want my old Pearl or Curve back. Anyone have an idea how to do this?
    08-01-09 09:53 PM
    I believe that if you have an Alltel phone that was active on Alltel at the time of the conversion, you could change to a VZW plan. Technically, you should be able to activate any Alltel phone on VZW, but we know how anal VZW has traditionally been with allowing phones that were activated on other carriers.

I have heard differing opinions with Alltel, though - one says the prohibition doesn't apply to Alltel, since VZW bought them. The other says that only active phones at the switch would be allowed.

Unsure which story would apply when you try it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 02:59 AM
    It is my understanding that if you want a VZW plan you have to get a VZW phone. You can have a VZW phone and be on an Alltel plan but the VZW phone has to be issued from VZW when activated.

According to store reps I have spoken to, a VZW branded phone gives you access to VZW services that the Alltel device does not.

08-02-09 08:47 AM
    It is my understanding that if you want a VZW plan you have to get a VZW phone. You can have a VZW phone and be on an Alltel plan but the VZW phone has to be issued from VZW when activated.

According to store reps I have spoken to, a VZW branded phone gives you access to VZW services that the Alltel device does not.

Not quite. If you were an Alltel customer transitioned to verizon, you can switch plans without changing phones. Or you can get a new phone without changing plans. It might be different if you are starting new service.

08-02-09 12:13 PM
    Not quite. If you were an Alltel customer transitioned to verizon, you can switch plans without changing phones. Or you can get a new phone without changing plans. It might be different if you are starting new service.

Thanks DesertDogs. It's a long story, but the short version is that I am on an Alltel plan and was switched to a VZW branded Curve in a feeble attempt to fix a weak signal issue and poor reception at my house. I was told in the VZW store by the store manager and a regional supervisor that the only way for me to get a VZW PRL so I can pick up the tower that is 7/10 of a mile from my house would be to switch to a VZW plan and switch to a VZW phone at the same time. They also stated that only a VZW branded phone and plan allows you access to all the VZW apps and services.

A problem for Alltel patrons during this convergence period are the well meaning reps and techs who are giving out conflicting information based on their perception of the facts.

I am currenty waiting for a hybrid PRL to be pushed to my phone. The request has now been submitted 4 times. Isn't a definition of insanity "repeating the same process over and over again but expecting different results?" I guess I am complicitous in this. I would rather stay in my Alltel plan and have my phone work at the house like it did before the PRL was changed as a result of the merger. The bottom line here is that I was told I could not put my Alltel phone on a VZW plan with a VZW PRL or just put the VZW PRL into my Alltel phone.
    08-02-09 12:57 PM
    Thanks DesertDogs. It's a long story, but the short version is that I am on an Alltel plan and was switched to a VZW branded Curve in a feeble attempt to fix a weak signal issue and poor reception at my house. I was told in the VZW store by the store manager and a regional supervisor that the only way for me to get a VZW PRL so I can pick up the tower that is 7/10 of a mile from my house would be to switch to a VZW plan and switch to a VZW phone at the same time. They also stated that only a VZW branded phone and plan allows you access to all the VZW apps and services.

A problem for Alltel patrons during this convergence period are the well meaning reps and techs who are giving out conflicting information based on their perception of the facts.

I am currenty waiting for a hybrid PRL to be pushed to my phone. The request has now been submitted 4 times. Isn't a definition of insanity "repeating the same process over and over again but expecting different results?" I guess I am complicitous in this. I would rather stay in my Alltel plan and have my phone work at the house like it did before the PRL was changed as a result of the merger. The bottom line here is that I was told I could not put my Alltel phone on a VZW plan with a VZW PRL or just put the VZW PRL into my Alltel phone.

How did you make out on this ?
    I have an Alltel phone and the signal is now never more that 2 bars.
    I now get dropped calles etc. None of this happened while with Alltel ( we are now Verizion ) I just don't understand why this is happening.
    11-27-09 10:26 AM
    In no way is Verizon going to "let" you have an Alltel phone on a Verizon plan. In their systems, if you were an Alltel customer, and are trying to switch to a Verizon plan, their systems will deny you unless you have a Verizon ESN. The same thing happens if you have a Verizon plan, and try to activate an Alltel ESN on it.

Some phones come up as unknown in the Verizon billing system, so occasionally Alltel phones will slip onto Verizon accounts... But its not something any representative will do willingly for you...
    11-27-09 11:32 AM
    I believe that if you have an Alltel phone that was active on Alltel at the time of the conversion, you could change to a VZW plan. Technically, you should be able to activate any Alltel phone on VZW, but we know how anal VZW has traditionally been with allowing phones that were activated on other carriers.

I have heard differing opinions with Alltel, though - one says the prohibition doesn't apply to Alltel, since VZW bought them. The other says that only active phones at the switch would be allowed.

Unsure which story would apply when you try it.

Items in bold are entirely INCORRECT. Please don't post information Twins and Twins if you don't know the real answer.

You cannot activate an Alltel phone on a VZW rate plan. Doesn't matter if it's technically possible.
    11-27-09 04:29 PM

You can actually activate a VZW device on an Alltel plan regardless where it came from. The billing system will see it all the same.
    11-27-09 04:31 PM
    +1 on both of tsguy52's post.
    I don't have a dog in the fight, no pun intended, but twins has posted incorrect info on the Alltel/Verizon deal before.
    I can get a VZW from anywhere I choose and keep my Alltel plan.
    11-28-09 01:08 AM
    +1 on both of tsguy52's post.
    I don't have a dog in the fight, no pun intended, but twins has posted incorrect info on the Alltel/Verizon deal before.
    I can get a VZW from anywhere I choose and keep my Alltel plan.

This is true, I have done it at least 3 times.

But now I have a Alltel Tour on Verizion
    11-28-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD