Blackberry Internet Service BIS
    Blackberry Enterprise Server BES
    12-23-09 12:01 AM
    at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is BIS and BES? i just got my bb like 2 weeks ago and am trying to learn stuff.
    bis and bes are just different types of internet, basically. one is more safe. they're explained in more detail on the crackberry homepage under the crackberry 101. page 2. :]
    12-23-09 12:01 AM
    Looks like things are getting better. I now have DATA service on my 9700 (TMO).
    SRP Status is now Connected.

Still no Email though.

Miami, Florida. 1:02AM EST
    12-23-09 12:02 AM
    thanks for clearing that up everyone
    12-23-09 12:02 AM
    at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is BIS and BES? i just got my bb like 2 weeks ago and am trying to learn stuff.
    Here ya go...

BlackBerry� Enterprise Solution (mainly used for Corporate Exchange Email servers)

BlackBerry� Internet Service (used for BB push on POP3 and IMAP accounts)
    12-23-09 12:03 AM
    Nothing of mine works except my opera beta. That's kinda strange considering everything, which is how I am posting this message. Any clues to how that could be? I am on sprint in duluth mn

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rounsy222; 12-23-09 at 12:07 AM.
    12-23-09 12:04 AM
    BIS=Blackberry Internet Service all email, web etc
    BES= Blackberry Enterprise Serivce which is primarily for companies that communicate with their employees through provided blackberrys
    12-23-09 12:04 AM
    more details....from chapter 2 of the 101 doc...

What is BIS?
    BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet Service. It gives your BlackBerry access to the Internet. It’s like an ISP, but for your smart-phone instead of your home computer. Every time your BlackBerry gets an email, or accesses a webpage, it does so through BIS (unless you’re using BES)

What is BES?
    BES stands for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It gives your BlackBerry access to a corporate intranet. The intranet is the private, internal, network within a company. It’s kind of like a mini-internet that is cut off from the rest of the world. Many intranets allow you to communicate with the Internet as well, but with added layers of security.
    12-23-09 12:06 AM
    hey! my browser is loading a lot more quickly!! ... just to tell me, "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

i'd also like to add that i *love* that it tells me to contact my service provider.
    cute.
    12-23-09 12:07 AM
    anyone hear this might last for a few days if this is the truth i might as well twitch into a comatose state and miss work
    12-23-09 12:09 AM
    Everything's been down for me since maybe 18:00EST...currently it's slightly after 1AM and still nothing.
    12-23-09 12:09 AM
    I have been having SMS problems all day. I would get messages hours later than they were sent. I just now got 8 messages in a row that were sent a long time ago. Maybe this means tings are fixed. I would check my browser but i'm on the phone currently .

Cincinnati, OH here.
    12-23-09 12:10 AM
    But go figure: opera mini is working just fine. The BB browser doesn't work, no emails, BBweather doesn't work, twitter doesn't work, etc. Why would opera work and not anything else? Don't they all access the same network to get online?
    thankyou thankyou thankyou, I tried everything but operamini IT WORKS i can type with one thumb again this computer does not feel right, being so big.
    12-23-09 12:11 AM
    So does this outage mean that i cant get on internet with wifi? If not my wifi isn't working and I have another problem on my hands.
    12-23-09 12:11 AM
    Okay so I took a "power nap" a few hours ago in hopes that when I wake up all of this foolishness would be straighten out. Needless to say I awoke to no avail.
    12-23-09 12:12 AM
    same here in NW illinois
    12-23-09 12:12 AM
    im bored now... i don't want to use the real facebook, i like it on my bb....
    Houston Texas just isn't life tonight
    12-23-09 12:13 AM
    Well I'm glad I could actually bring something to the table here for once! Lol. I'm just confused on why opera would work but not bolt or bb browsers!

12-23-09 12:14 AM
    Still no data here on the eastcoast! Thought it was a local thing all evening here till I logged on here a few mins ago
    12-23-09 12:15 AM
    Lol. I shouldve stopped in here hours ago! I've been using opera mini all night just fine after everything else crapped out. Glad to see some ppl are catchin on. You can't access all your apps, but atleast you can still browse the web on opera!

We're all going to die of boredom.
    in regards to the wifi question, i tried doing that earlier and it didn't work. it just told me to contact my internet service provider.
    So does this outage mean that i cant get on internet with wifi? If not my wifi isn't working and I have another problem on my hands.
    Nope it won't work on WiFi either.
    12-23-09 12:16 AM
    enyone noticing how it keeps changing between edge and EDGE ? ( for those of us not blessed with 3g)
    RIM SUCKS AZZ lol
1,384 ... 4041424344 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD