If this is a RIM issue (obviously it is), then why are data like browser, facebook, etc. down too?

I thought it was only RIM related, so email and BBM.
    Just want to say, great pic!

Oh, and to answer your question, it's because all data goes thru BB's servers... that's why everything is down.

It's not like the iPhone and Android devices that just pull data directly off the network, because BIS and BES have 3rd party secured servers, all data runs thru them, data for the native browser, and all 3rd party apps, unless you're running on WiFi.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-22-09 at 10:18 PM.
    12-22-09 10:16 PM
    Mid...morning....!?!
    what. the fuhk.

i need a gun.
    My EDGE is now edge What does that even mean?? (
    Outage here as well - at least 3+ hours and counting...

- no email BIS or BES
    - no data - AT&T shows "edge" not "EDGE"
    - no BBM/PIN messages
    - no browser (BB, Opera)
    - no Facebook, Twitter, IM (gtalk, yahoo)

What works...
    - phone (voice) and SMS work OK
    - App World was working earlier (!)

12-22-09 10:17 PM
    If this is a RIM issue (obviously it is), then why are data like browser, facebook, etc. down too?

I thought it was only RIM related, so email and BBM.
    Because to get a data connection on a blackberry, you first go through the service provider which then goes through RIM's servers to see if you're justified to do anything data-wise. So if RIM is having server issues, then they can't tell what you can and cannot do.
    Long-time lurker---read these forums anytime I have any sort of problem with my Blackberry. Naturally, Crackberry was the first place I came to when I noticed my BBM wasn't working and I wasn't getting emails.

I just have to say, I can tolerate the outage. As inconvenient as it is for me (and BB users everywhere), it's technology and I can accept its flaws. What I can NOT accept is RIM's handling of this situation (or lack thereof, I should say). The outage is going to cost them money. But what will be more costly to the company is their COMPLETE lack of communication with customers and service providers!!! No updates on their website? No press release to the service providers so at least someone can tell customers what's going on?? This is just obscene. BAD business. I think BB users would be much more accepting of this situation if RIM acknowledged it and made SOME sort of effort to communicate with the customers about what's going on (the problem, ET on having everything fixed, etc). As someone who WORKS as an Organizational Consultant, I just can't wrap my head around this.
    And people always ask: "can you get a BB without a data plan?

Well, this is what they want... ugh
    I just went to vzw to get a new tour due to track ball issues. I hadn't noticed a problem and this was at 6:45 pm in ct. As I walk out of the store and get to my car I noticed I didn't have bbm 5, a browser icon or anything other data apps. Is this a phone issue or is this a issue with me activating the phone after their server crashed and my phone doesn't know what it's supposed to have? Ya know, kind of like a lost puppy who doesn't know exactly where home is...
    12-22-09 10:18 PM
    funny, local Chicago NBC news just said that Blackberry is reporting an "email slow down, and engineers are working on the problem".
    I guess RIM stock will have dropped a bit when the NYSE opens tomorrow...
    Mid...morning....!?!
    Outrageous isn't it!
    PFFFT!

"nobody owns the internet"

HAH
    It will be down for a while. At least until tomorrow afternoon.
    My EDGE is now edge What does that even mean?? (
    Means you arent connected to blackberries servers at the moment......BIS OUTAGE basically like we all are complaining about
    LATEST WORD FROM RIM:
    They cannot give an estimate as to when it will be back up. No comment on why its down and whether it relates to the update they just did to fix the bugs from last week [sic: uh huh].
    SPRINT claims tomorrow after 3PM eastern.
    Verizon: No idea since they cannot answer the question and questions should be directed to RIM who has failed to comment until 5 minutes ago. They claim the western hemisphere is entirely affected.
    T-Mobile: Some time in the next 24 hours. They were told some users may have intermittent service throughout that time that would affect ALL data services on the BB's.
    AT&T: There's a problem with outages?

And that is from the household of phones. Thank God I own a Droid and BB, I can still maintain contact to the outside world.

So, I have an answer after putting all of that together: Sometime before my 45th birthday (I'm 38)....

Goodnight hope this helps everybody get some rest knowing they may get their fix tomorrow...or maybe not...

Happy Holidays...
    12-22-09 10:19 PM
    read a , it will be over soon
    Because to get a data connection on a blackberry, you first go through the service provider which then goes through RIM's servers to see if you're justified to do anything data-wise. So if RIM is having server issues, then they can't tell what you can and cannot do.
    I see, thanks. The critical juncture in Canada.
    Anyone else see how long the list of active users is?
    I embrassed of my BB
    12-22-09 10:20 PM
    Because All of that goes through RIM/BlackBerry's servers.....That why no internet,BBM,Ubertwitter,Facebook.......The only thing that the carriers do is provide the hook-up....Phone and Text....
    Everything BB or "requires connection" down on Sprint in North Jersey as well. Email was sporadic earlier in the day but everything has been down for us since at least 7:00 pm local. Strange thing was that my wife and son also have BBs on teh same Sprint account but the outages effect each phone differently at differing times earlier today. Weird!
    For an outage like this, there must have been something really bad that happened to their relay services.
    12-22-09 10:21 PM
    I had been on 3G still up until a few minutes ago, when it switched to edge. I'm also running WiFi, & I can use the browser but not apps like facebook & twitter. I've been able to text all night.
    12-22-09 10:22 PM
    No no, for an outage like this, I am going to request credits to my account, via Verizon, in USD.
    For an outage like this, there must have been something really bad that happened to their relay services.

a verizon rep told me it was something with their towers.
1,384 ... 3031323334 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD