I am planning to come back Verizon with my family plan for 2 reasons: the city where I live to study lacks of 3G from T-Mo, and the iPhone 4 is coming. Currently, VZW is offering the "smartphone talk free" promotion that is very tempting to me. But, it is expired on the 30th this month

Therefore, I think that I am gonna to switch my number back and get a random smartphone phone to use til the 10th of Feb. Then I can return the random phone to get the iPhone instead. So I will have to pay $35 for the restocking fee, but I will save more in the long run.

How do u guys think ?
    01-26-11 04:15 PM
    Personally I think its a dirty trick and things like this are why Verizon is getting rid of policies like the 30 day thing
    01-26-11 04:34 PM
    Why not just wait the week instead of f*cking your carrier?
    its what? 15 days away?
    01-26-11 04:36 PM
    Here is the only problem i see with what you want to do. First of all, it is completely doable IF they have enough iPhones on launch day. You'll have to fight the crowds and lines to get it. You'll have to do it in person since you'll be returning a phone and that means a direct store. For me, it would not be worth the hassle of the 70 dollars in restocking fees plus the lines. I would wait until it launches.

If for some reason they don't have the iPhone at the store near you, you will be SOL whe. It comes to exchanging it. You wont have any more days of your exchange time frame and you could be stuck with a phone you dont really want. So it's a gamble...
    01-26-11 04:43 PM
    Why not just wait the week instead of f*cking your carrier?
    its what? 15 days away?

Because he will save $10/month by getting the smartphone talk free promo before it expires. I dont agree or disagree with what he is planning to do, but I see why he is considering it.
    01-26-11 05:57 PM
    I don't see this as a kind of "cheating" because I don't break any rule at all. But it is a sneaky strategy on my book.

I got the point of maskhun. The hassle may be bigger than I expected and I really have to consider the opportunity cost and benefit in this case
    01-26-11 06:05 PM
    If your expecting the iPhone to be easy to find on launch day, I would have to disagree.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 06:49 PM
    If you do do it then, wait a few days before locking in as VZW now has a 14 day period on returns.
    01-26-11 06:54 PM
    If your expecting the iPhone to be easy to find on launch day, I would have to disagree.

I agree with Mario...they always say there are tons of iPhones for launch....but there is always something. I remember when I waited for the iPhone 4 launch at AT&T and they claimed they would have plenty...a few days before launch, they announced preorders would be the only phones available on launch. So i waited at Best Buy...they said they would have plenty...they only had 7 when it came down to launch day. Luckily, I snagged two.

But they always say they will have plenty and never do.
    01-26-11 08:29 PM
    You know how many nitwits are gonna be beating the doors down on release day to get an iPhone? I certainly wouldn't count on there being an abundance of extra devices.

01-26-11 09:26 PM
    I am planning to come back Verizon with my family plan for 2 reasons: the city where I live to study lacks of 3G from T-Mo, and the iPhone 4 is coming. Currently, VZW is offering the "smartphone talk free" promotion that is very tempting to me. But, it is expired on the 30th this month

Therefore, I think that I am gonna to switch my number back and get a random smartphone phone to use til the 10th of Feb. Then I can return the random phone to get the iPhone instead. So I will have to pay $35 for the restocking fee, but I will save more in the long run.

How do u guys think ?
    Its doing stuff like this, that ruins it for honest people who follow the rules. I'm sick of loosing things because people take advantage. One being, having your storm replaced 3 times, when nothing was wrong with..just to have Verizon put you into another device, free. They stooped doing that because to many people did it. There are people who needed this done, and couldn't. They couldn't afford a new phone and had to just deal with a problem phone. If people keep cheating the system were gonna Loose more favors from them, then people will *****.."Verizon doesn't do anything for there customers" hmm, I wonder why!

01-26-11 09:55 PM
    Chances of getting an I phone anywhere near the 10th is slim.

01-27-11 02:30 PM
    I think the chances of this working at all are slim. The SPTF promo is a whole different price plan code in the VZW system. I'm assuming that is only compatible with existing smartphones. It's unclear if it will do the check with the iPhone since we don't have an iPhone ESN to try it with yet (and technically shouldn't since the promo should never be on an iPhone). I know the company has already taken certain measures to restrict early upgrades and other things for iPhones altogether, so there is quite possibly something in effect for this as well. I think you're better off not wasting your time.
    01-27-11 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD