Hello guys, I am 30 months into a 36 month contract and am looking to get my first smart phone. I am lookin at the Bold 9700.

I currently have 2 cell phones on a share plan totaling $55 plus SAF and 911, for 425 mins eves/weekends, $12 for text and call disp on one and $15 for call disp, voicemail and unlim text. All for a total of 97.40 plus taxes.

I called Telus a week or so and asked how much to cancel and was asked why. I just told them to cut down on costs so they offered me free voice mail and call dip for a year IF I sign a new 3 year deal. Not good enough!!

Well I really want to get into a smart phone for me and possibly one for my wife (she is not sure if she will use it so she may just get a new cell).

What is the best way to deal with the L&R dept to get a sweet deal? I am looking for about 400-500 mins between phones, text, call disp, and data for at least my phone. I have been looking on the forums here and have seen some insane deals that some of you have gotten and am lookin to get as good a deal as I can.

If it matters I have been with Telus since the mid 90's then rogers for a year before switching to Telus again 5-6 years ago. Would they have it on record that I was a customer before I came back?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    11-08-09 06:38 PM
    I always found the best way to deal with them is just plain be nice on the phone. Explain the situation and even have a chat about other stuff with them. They'll relax more and be more willing to help a friendly voice then someone who threatens. It's what I've always done and have gotten new phones every year when on a 3 year plans. I even changed twice this year due to a problem phone. I went from regullar phones to smart phones myself and have been with them for about the same amount of time.

About pricing......that may be a lot harder with the new plan structure. It seems to give lees room for them to play around and change things up for the customer (unless they have something hidden away in their own info on hand).

Good luck with it all.
    11-08-09 06:47 PM
    I always found the best way to deal with them is just plain be nice on the phone. Explain the situation and even have a chat about other stuff with them. They'll relax more and be more willing to help a friendly voice then someone who threatens.
    I couldn't agree more with this advice. Having worked in a Customer Service Call Centre before I understand the frustrations that come with the job. I was always much more willing to help out customers who were calmer than hot headed. You'll have much more luck being firm but polite. Good luck
    11-08-09 07:05 PM
    Thanks guys! I planned on being polite as it takes a lot to get me going and also understand it is not the employees that are the issue in most cases.

What do you think would be a fair plan to settle on?
    11-08-09 07:56 PM
    Well here is what I was able to get after about 4 calls....

The smartphone 50 plan on 2 phones
    free Caller ID for
    unlimited text/pic and vid messaging
    Bold 9700 and iphone at 3yr contract price
    11-11-09 03:13 PM
    I was able to get my contract transfered over to the new network with no changes to my plan. I was misinformed 4 times, and the right CSR can help you out. Trust me on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-09 05:12 PM
    I was able to get my contract transfered over to the new network with no changes to my plan. I was misinformed 4 times, and the right CSR can help you out. Trust me on this.

Please let me know how the heck you did this ?! I believe your a unicorn, the only one...
    11-11-09 05:23 PM
    Yes sir. I emailed the president of telus in regards to the problems that I have had over time with their CSRs, and made arrangements for my exact plan to be transfered over. But do keep in mind, that I don't have crazy amounts of perks with them. You just have to remain calm when talking, there is zero point in kicking and screaming, the person will be less willing to help you if you yell.

There are also loopholes around the transfer of your plan. Read up on Howard forums for telus, they have tons of information in regards to the network switch over. APPARENTLY, your voice plan is supposed to be 100% transferable, according to howard forums. Read up on their forums. Tons of good stuff in regards to phones as well as carriers.

11-11-09 06:30 PM
    Yes sir. I emailed the president of telus in regards to the problems that I have had over time with their CSRs, and made arrangements for my exact plan to be transfered over. But do keep in mind, that I don't have crazy amounts of perks with them. You just have to remain calm when talking, there is zero point in kicking and screaming, the person will be less willing to help you if you yell.

There are also loopholes around the transfer of your plan. Read up on Howard forums for telus, they have tons of information in regards to the network switch over. APPARENTLY, your voice plan is supposed to be 100% transferable, according to howard forums. Read up on their forums. Tons of good stuff in regards to phones as well as carriers.

Hi,

Did you have an unlimited BB data plan on your Tour and were you successful in transferring it to the HSPA side?
    11-11-09 07:00 PM
    Oh no sir. That will most definitely not be transferable. Because the new network allows for tethering, and there is no way that would allow that. I can see where telus is coming from
    with that one. People on Howard forums have reported that they were able to transfer their voice plans only by activating a SIM card online, and putting the sim in a HSPA capable phone. Guys, read howard forums. It is the best place to get advice in regards to cell phone providers and everything.

PS: I still like crackberry

11-11-09 07:09 PM
    I am a ma'am but thanks, haha. I knew the voiceplans could go over but I had one with it combined data/voice so I was forced to let it go. I'll never see that again
    11-11-09 07:48 PM
    Oh sorry about that. The first CSR that I talked to told me that my plan was transferable to the new network. And when I called back to follow up, the L and R rep told me that it wasn't. So I was able to raise **** because I was given two different sets of information.

Even if, you can use your smarts and your time spent with Telus as leverage. I was able to squeeze them for my old plan. But the new plan that they offered me was sweet as well. Just be calm with them, and they'll help you out.
    11-11-09 08:02 PM
    Well here is what I was able to get after about 4 calls....

The smartphone 50 plan on 2 phones
    free Caller ID for
    unlimited text/pic and vid messaging
    Bold 9700 and iphone at 3yr contract price
    got the same thing took 6 call
    11-12-09 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD