I just wanted to ask a quick question on something. I use my BB 8900 a lot ever since I got it just last week. When I'm at home and connected to Wifi, all of the apps I use ie. Pandora, GMail, UberTwitter, Browser don't count towards data right? They all connect through my wifi? Because my uncle who has the same phone as me cannot use apps like AIM, Gmail, Pandora, etc. Neither of us have the data plan and for him, it tells him he cannot access the apps without a data plan, while I can. I just wanted to make sure I will not be charged for using these "data" apps at home through a wifi connection. And also, even though I have no data plan, I have BIS working somehow even though I did not do anything. I can use EDGE outside of a wifi connection and is that going to cost me? I hope I made my question clear. If anyone needs further clarification, just say so.
    01-01-10 09:31 AM
    dx169. i believe who ever got you your 8900 a week ago may have added data to your accout. why?? well becuase gmail, and ubertwitter as well as your bis email cannot work via wifi. what so ever. there are third party apps to make wifi allow the usage of those apps but im not considering you have them installed based on your post. if you do have data, you most likely being billed for it. my suggestion to test this is turn off tmobile service on the phone through manage connections, and than try using those apps via wifi, and or call tmobile and verify your plan. again believe your on a data plan. let me know how that turns out.
    01-01-10 09:37 AM
    Well, I know for sure we ourselves did NOT add a data plan. Let me map out the entire situation. A few days before Christmas, me and some family went to Wal-Mart. My DAD upgraded his line and bought me my phone of choice because he was happy with his. At first I chose the Gravity 2 for 30 bucks. Later, I realized it wasn't that great. So a few hours later, me and 3 of my uncles went to a DIFFERENT Wal-Mart and exchanged the Gravity 2 for the 8900 and paid the difference of 20 dollars. (8900 = $50 there) So ok, they gave us the new phone, we signed NOTHING, we spoke NOTHING about the data plan and we went home and I was happy with my BB 8900 as I set it up. Until a few days later I realized apps that didn't work the first day did (ie. App World). According to T-Mobile.com, there are "no additional plans on this line" which I'll assume means no data. The bill online it displays is correct so I'm not sure if I'm being charged at all. Anyone able to shine light on my situation?
    01-01-10 09:44 AM
    I agree, I work for tmobile blackberry/pda support. If your getting "EDGE" over edge" you are on a data plan which is the reason your getting all those apps to work. I would highly recommend calling Customer Care to verify your plan. Keep in mind if you take of the data plan most of your Apps will not work through wifi only with out 3rd party assistance.
    01-01-10 09:44 AM
    Do I just turn off Mobile Network? Or Data Services? And what 3rd party apps are we talking about that enable wifi on these apps? May I have a name? Thank you.

And @Powerhouse, if I were on a data plan, wouldn't it say so on my T-Mo acc?
    EDIT: For some reason, taking off Mobile Network works, but if I switch Data Services to off, everything shuts off incl. wifi.
    Last edited by dx169; 01-01-10 at 09:49 AM.
    01-01-10 09:47 AM
    Until a few days later I realized apps that didn't work the first day did (ie. App World). According to T-Mobile.com, there are "no additional plans on this line" which I'll assume means no data. The bill online it displays is correct so I'm not sure if I'm being charged at all. Anyone able to shine light on my situation?
    I attached a photo of where you should see it.. its under manage account and in the center under plans and services.

If you had to wait 24-48 hours before the data services started working, That tells me its on your account. Normal times for data to start working once its added is 2-48 hours.

I hope this helps.
    01-01-10 09:54 AM
    I added you on BBM can we talk on there? I'll take a SS of my screen and upload here. Weird, for some reason it says "Sorry, this information is currently unavailable.

Please refresh the page or try again
    in a few minutes." everywhere.
    01-01-10 09:56 AM
    no tmobiles account can take up to one billing cycle to update, i just verified walmart, the phone at that cost is with data, you recieve a lower price if the phone is being activated with data. you do not have to sign anything but they should have verbally confirmed with you that data was being added. a little evil trick is that the shown price, in this case, $50 or whatever, below it says with data. and they are not required to advise you that its being added. i would call cst care. with tmobile. if they added data you can remove it. if data isnt on than keep hushed up over your issue and enjoy the free data. apps that dont work on wifi, bis all together, almost all instant messanger apps. facebook, myspace, any google oriented app. most third party apps. hope this helps.
    01-01-10 09:56 AM
    no tmobiles account can take up to one billing cycle to update, i just verified walmart, the phone at that cost is with data, you recieve a lower price if the phone is being activated with data. you do not have to sign anything but they should have verbally confirmed with you that data was being added. a little evil trick is that the shown price, in this case, $50 or whatever, below it says with data. and they are not required to advise you that its being added. i would call cst care. with tmobile. if they added data you can remove it. if data isnt on than keep hushed up over your issue and enjoy the free data. apps that dont work on wifi, bis all together, almost all instant messanger apps. facebook, myspace, any google oriented app. most third party apps. hope this helps.
    That was my first assumption but I forgot to add to the story. My uncle got the exact same phone as me the 8900 for that same price at Wal-Mart the SAME day. He apparently does not have data and cannot use apps the way I can. I don't know how that maps out.

There's my plan thing.
    Last edited by dx169; 01-01-10 at 10:02 AM.
    01-01-10 09:58 AM
    Do I just turn off Mobile Network? Or Data Services? And what 3rd party apps are we talking about that enable wifi on these apps? May I have a name? Thank you.

And @Powerhouse, if I were on a data plan, wouldn't it say so on my T-Mo acc?
    EDIT: For some reason, taking off Mobile Network works, but if I switch Data Services to off, everything shuts off incl. wifi.
    If you turn off mobile networks its still going to work over wifi either way if you are getting CAPITAL letters. If you turn off data services no data is going to work at all including wifi.

If you power on your phone with out your sim card, turn mobile networks off which it should be anyway, turn on data services and turn on wifi. This would make your phone a basic PDA device without any services.. Data over the internet will still work for browsing, apps should not since you no longer will have data services from the BIS. If this works as i have said it means you do have a data plan active on the account.

(another reason) If data is not your tmobile account and your are getting upper case EDGE, it could be provisioned with RIM and not be charging your account, in that case your very lucky and it will probably get removed soon enjoy, I still would call customer care, I would hate for you to get a bill for it.
    01-01-10 10:04 AM
    Can you clarify that? So turn off Mobile Network, pull out the sim, turn it on w/o sim card and see if apps work without the sim?
    01-01-10 10:09 AM
    That was my first assumption but I forgot to add to the story. My uncle got the exact same phone as me the 8900 for that same price at Wal-Mart the SAME day. He apparently does not have data and cannot use apps the way I can. I don't know how that maps out.

There's my plan thing.

Viewing that I would say your not being charged or it....

What type of account do you have?
    Flexpay or postpaid

Flexpay accounts will sometimes have a free data plan for the rest of their billing cycle and then be charged the monthly rate on the start of their next billing cycle with would be almost a month

Again if you not really being charged for it, its because its setup in RIM's network and not in Tmobiles. Enjoy it until they remove it..
    01-01-10 10:10 AM
    What's a postpaid account? Like I said, I bought the 8900 at the Wal-Mart after exchanging the Gravity 2 I bought shortly before. Before the whole exchange, I had the Gravity 1. When I received the 8900, I simply took out the sim from my old phone and put it in the new one. I'm trying the data w/o sim thing right now. Booting up.
    01-01-10 10:12 AM
    Can you clarify that? So turn off Mobile Network, pull out the sim, turn it on w/o sim card and see if apps work without the sim?
    1) power off
    2) remove sim and leave it out
    3) power back up (notice the no sim error)
    4) wifi should be turned on
    5) data service should be turned on

Test it again like this, if the apps are working your are about the luckiest blackberry user alive! General internet browsing should work just fine,
    01-01-10 10:13 AM
    Alright, I got the steps correct then. I'm still booting up right now. I'm hoping for the best in this situation. I'll post again shortly after.

Edit: Strange, wifi isn't even working at all w/o sim.
    01-01-10 10:14 AM
    What's a postpaid account? Like I said, I bought the 8900 at the Wal-Mart after exchanging the Gravity 2 I bought shortly before. Before the whole exchange, I had the Gravity 1. When I received the 8900, I simply took out the sim from my old phone and put it in the new one. I'm trying the data w/o sim thing right now. Booting up.
    Do you pay a monthly fee for your service in advance *flexpay* similar to prepay or do you pay after (postpaid) you have used your phones the month.
    01-01-10 10:15 AM
    I'm on a family plan and I am not the one who pays the bill. The person who does pay the pill is informed of my situation and told me to simply enjoy the data while it's free because she believes if we are charged, we can call to fix it since we did not sign up for it but I am skeptical. And update: my apps do not work without the sim. App world : DAta Service not operational. Ubertwitter network issues. What does this all mean for me?
    01-01-10 10:18 AM
    [QUOTE=dx169;4413733]Alright, I got the steps correct then. I'm still booting up right now. I'm hoping for the best in this situation. I'll post again shortly after.

Edit: Strange, wifi isn't even working at all w/o sim.[/QUO

It should be working just fine,. give me a minute. to take my sim card out and verify the settings, I may have missed a browser setting for you. brb
    01-01-10 10:19 AM
    [QUOTE=powerhousevolley;4413759]
    Alright, I got the steps correct then. I'm still booting up right now. I'm hoping for the best in this situation. I'll post again shortly after.

Edit: Strange, wifi isn't even working at all w/o sim.[/QUO

It should be working just fine,. give me a minute. to take my sim card out and verify the settings, I may have missed a browser setting for you. brb
    No sorry I apoligize, wifi was now working. Please read my previous post for the update.
    01-01-10 10:20 AM
    That means for sure you have a data plan on the account and more than likely be charged for it. Tell her to call and verify whats on your bill, Tmobile is great about removing or crediting stuff as needed for a specific month. Although if this goes on for many months the likely hood of all of the months being credited reduces. When you bought the phone at Wal-Mart there was a contract that had to be signed and the feature was more than likely on it.
    01-01-10 10:26 AM
    Well she refuses to admit that there's a risk in not calling but she simply refuses to call. I have asked her before to call. She says enjoy it and wait until the bill but I am not so sure if that's a good thing to do. But see, that's the reason she refuses to call is we did NOT buy the phone on her line. My dad is not on her family plan because we already have 5 lines on it. Me, her, and a few of my uncles. My dad is on a completely different line. He bought me the Gravity 2 and that was the end of his connection. We took it to a diff wal-mart and paid the difference for the 8900 with my other uncle who is on our plan, but we did not sign ANYTHING at all. We simply handed them 20 bucks and went to the exchange line for our phone. No signing, no information was given to them about the phone or sim even. See, so this is a very interesting case with many different situations that lead us to believe that it's almost impossible for a data plan to charge us because we did not lend any information to them at all. The sim I am currently using was still on my old phone in my pocket at the time until we got home and I transferred contacts. But still, this does not comfort me.
    01-01-10 10:29 AM
    Very strange situation indeed, without knowing all the details i couldn't tell you.. All I can say is I have giving you some options and you have gave her some options. We are all able to make our own decisions.

I wish you luck and in enjoy the data for now.
    01-01-10 10:33 AM
    Alright thank you so much for your help. I guess I will have to wait for maybe two bills to know for sure. I wonder if my situation though, can be used to intentionally get a blackberry for "free" like that. I mean the whole upgrading line from another person and getting a non-blackberry, then going to your line and exchanging for a blackberry leads to a very mixed up situation that seems impossible to really predict what will happen.
    01-01-10 10:36 AM
    dx, as far as I know, you cannot have a BlackBerry w/o getting a data plan for it, unless it was already on the account. Because you did the switch, it may not be on there though, but rest assured. Eventually they will see the data you've used, and charge you a healthy fee for it. You can always look in your service book too, and see if you have any with [BrowserConfig] next to them, along with IPPP. Here's a list for the majority of service book terms:

https://www.wireless.att.com/support...B/KB49057.html
    01-09-10 09:36 AM
    Well, I got my phone I think on December 22. It's been almost two months now and I haven't been charged. Looks like I'm safe after all.
    02-12-10 07:37 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD