Are we going to be able to get it or what??!?!?!
    11-28-09 10:26 PM
    Are we going to be able to get it or what??!?!?!
    That's the question we are all waiting to have answered, conclusively once and for all!! We won't know if its a technology issue or a business policy issue until Rogers enables UMA on another 3G phone. If they do and they don't enable it on the 9700, then its a business decision. If they never enable UMA on another 3G phone, then we know its a technology issue...
    11-30-09 06:05 PM
    Under Devices and Hardware ..... Nope.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...ing_zone#start
    11-30-09 08:32 PM
    I heard a few weeks ago that there will be an update to fix this.... However its been a couple weeks and I hear nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 03:18 AM
    There will not be an update.
    Rogers infrastructrure doesn't support UMA with 3G/HSPA, simple as that.

Shortsighted on Rogers' part?
    Maybe... but compared to something like MY5, Talkspot isn't very popular.
    12-09-09 10:46 AM
    This will all go away with the eventually introduction of LTE/4G IP based networks.
    Althought I have it on good sources it will not be going live tomorrow or Friday. lol
    12-09-09 12:46 PM
    There will not be an update.
    Rogers infrastructrure doesn't support UMA with 3G/HSPA, simple as that.

Shortsighted on Rogers' part?
    Maybe... but compared to something like MY5, Talkspot isn't very popular.
    Rogers needs to invest in new UMA/GAN servers to support UMA on HSPA, like Tmobile has done in the States.

My guess is that Rogers won't make the investment, and instead will offer (for a $$ fee) some sort of fixed location 'hotspot' mini-cell tower 'femtocell' device that will provide enhanced voice reception over a wifi connection. That is what AT&T offers in the USA. This way clients with lousy reception in their homes or offices can get a better voice signal on their phones without UMA, Rogers gets to sell additional hardware/software, and because the device is fixed they don't lose out on long-distance/roaming revenue when clients use UMA while travelling.

I recently completed a customer survey for Rogers that essentially asked me if such a solution would be of interest. While it would solve my poor signal at home issue, I'd much rather have UMA available on my phone, as it would be way more flexible -- but I think UMA isn't the ideal revenue generator for Rogers.

Hopefully Bell or Telus will offer UMA soon on their HSPA network as a competitive differentiator, and cell phone users who need/want UMA will have an option here in Canada.
    Last edited by asherwiin; 12-09-09 at 05:33 PM.
    12-09-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD