02-07-10 06:22 PM
37 12
tools
    I have switched over from the Telus cdma to hspa network. I live in Toronto. It has been about two weeks now and I have nothing bad to say. I've gone from a BB Pearl 8130 to a Bold 9700. I am running the OS that came with the phone (.344) and I haven't experienced any dropped calls, wierd sounding voices, missed or not sent emails, sms, mms and no rebooting. My calls have been crystal clear, internet has been quick, wi-fi works fine. I will say that my BB Maps doesn't work, nor did it work with my Pearl or my wife's Storm. Google Maps works fine. Now just to unlock the phone so I can use it in the States.

With my luck... now that I have said these good things about my BB Bold, I'm sure I'll wake up in the morning and experience everything bad.
    12-27-09 08:14 PM
    I'm enjoying the 9700, been a great phone for me thus far - though truth be known, I still prefer my Rogers' Bold 9000.

I found I didn't have ANY service with the Telus 9700 in Winnipeg, however - I've been seeing posts that claim there is service, but I couldn't get any at all, not at YWG Airport, and not anywhere in the city otherwise.
    12-31-09 10:32 AM
    The Blackberry Bold 9700 is the coolest BB ever!!
    The Telus HSPA network is Horrible!
    I've had mine for 3 weeks. I can make about 1 in 3 calls and receive about the same.
    The worst possible experience was driving to Brandon, MB @ Christmas. The device/phone 'DOES NOT' work at all in Sask & only works in Winnipeg, MB. How can the PHONE not work??? I could make a 911 call part of the time. Telus obviously released this way before they should have. Thank god the device had Wi-Fi when i was in MB. I've called at least 5 times since i got the phone. Today I phoned to check on the service ticket. in fact i've been screwing around on hold for about 25 minutes(60+ now).
    They tell me I've missed my window to exchange the phone. Although I've been assured all along that my phone is fine and the network is bad. I don't want a new Blackberry!! I want this excellent one to work!!!
    Now the network guy that i am talking to sounds like he has never heard of these network issues... "so your calls are garbled...?".
    SO ANNOYING.
    It also seems strange that when I google Telus HSPA all I get are links to Telus and Telusmobility. It seems odd that there arent a million links to blogs and twitter accounts siting the same issues??
    01-04-10 05:18 PM
    I've had mine for 3 weeks. I can make about 1 in 3 calls and receive about the same.
    The worst possible experience was driving to Brandon, MB @ Christmas. The device/phone 'DOES NOT' work at all in Sask & only works in Winnipeg, MB. How can the PHONE not work??? I could make a 911 call part of the time. Telus obviously released this way before they should have. Thank god the device had Wi-Fi when i was in MB. I've called at least 5 times since i got the phone. Today I phoned to check on the service ticket. in fact i've been screwing around on hold for about 25 minutes(60+ now).
    They tell me I've missed my window to exchange the phone. Although I've been assured all along that my phone is fine and the network is bad. I don't want a new Blackberry!! I want this excellent one to work!!!
    Now the network guy that i am talking to sounds like he has never heard of these network issues... "so your calls are garbled...?".
    SO ANNOYING.
    It also seems strange that when I google Telus HSPA all I get are links to Telus and Telusmobility. It seems odd that there arent a million links to blogs and twitter accounts siting the same issues??
    I totally understand your frustration. My phone just started working about a week ago, and it's amazing! When I called in though they admitted there was a huge problem and were working on it. I got my phone in November and for a month and a half it was crap. They told me that they had fixed the network in BC and were working on Alberta and hoped to complete by Jan 1. Call again and talk to someone different, maybe you'll get someone knowledgeable. I am in the Calgary area as well so if my phone works, shouldn't yours? Good luck.
    01-05-10 09:58 AM
    Really depends where you are with call quality. I have been with telus for 16 years and this is the same pattern with all thier services, Telus TV Launch. Google it and see the results of thier launch and the problems from updating, random reboots of the terminals, loss of connection, the list goes on.

The first year with telus and any new major network add-on is a joy ride.

With that said, telus is HUGE, they are not a small player by any means, they own thier entire network, resell it, share it etc. Telus has had one major problem over the last 5 years and they have gone to using sub-contractors to do the work as they do not have enough of thier own anymore. - Quality of standards and work show from this.

At anyrate, what is good with going with HSPA or dealing with the "beta" period with Telus? Cheap service, call them, talk to them, keep a running log of your problems and you will be taken care of, for 16 years they have been amazing.

Google telus and read about what they do not talk about on thier "advertisements", the tv commercial looks much better :P
    I have to agree 100% I have been with Telus/ClearNet for 16 years on the Mike system back to PCS and now on the new HSPA network they even let me migrate my phone package over to the new Network, they treat their loyal customers very well! At least to me they do. I now have the new Bold 9700 and absolutely love it! Came from the S1 & S2 and even tried the iPhone out for 2 weeks didn't care for it (another story)
    01-05-10 10:15 AM
    SO ANNOYING.
    I know when I picked up my Bold on Saturday and had an issue with the GPS not working the person I had spoke to said they were having horrible issues in Alberta? I hope they rectify the situation. I know the first few months on the MIKE system at the beginning was trying but they did end up getting it resolved. I think the new network was rushed to the market do to the Olympics? Hence fixing the HSPA issues in B.C first. Ontario is good so far....fingers crossed.
    01-05-10 10:23 AM
    I guess it may be a good idea for those who are having issues to note where they are having their problems (i.e one person noted that they have issues in and around Edmonton, someone else in Calgary, someone else in Vancouver, someone else says they've got amazing service around Kamloops and Halifax). If it's network stuff, it could be strictly regional.

I'll be honest, I only had these sort of issues back when I was on Rogers GSM network ages back, though not with a blackberry. Back then it was with both a Motorola flip phone and the first of the HP iPaq phones.

Some of these cases sound more like the phone, not the network (GPS is a phone thing obviously, but a call not coming to your device could be both).

I'm leaning towards this device myself, though I'm personally not completely sure when I'll be getting one just yet. Hopefully sooner than later.
    01-06-10 11:06 PM
    I'm having issues receiving bb messages, texts. There is a lot of lag time, and when I receive an email or fb message, all of my texts and bb messages seem to come at once. Its like whenever i check my fb, it refreshes the connection and everything rolls in. Very annoying, i don't want to log into fb everytime I think i am missing texts or bbms. Help!
    01-09-10 06:36 PM
    The only time i've had issues with my bold is when I'm in remote areas. In calgary my call quality is great (a few dropped calls now and then but its a new network...my friends on iphone have the same problem so whatevs) but I travel to remote regions for work and this is when data service drops right off. In Northern AB I can get full bars on 3G but no data will load, kinda strange. Overall I'd have to say I am very happy with the 9700 on Telus. I wish they would introduce UMA but I won't hold my breath, and I see Bell has released the phone with a newer OS, would be nice if telus pushed this out to us but that we can do on our own with a little free time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 12:07 AM
    Had the 9700 for a week and experienced my first echoed call yesterday in my garage. In Maple Ridge, BC
    02-04-10 08:44 PM
    I live in Calgary, dose anyone can tell me the latest experience in using Telus BB9700.

because I want to buy it in next few days.
    02-07-10 05:06 AM
    I am in Ontario and have had the Bold since beginning of December. I did have a few call quality issues in beginning, but everything has been running great now. Also using latest OS 5.0.0.442. Coming from the Storm, I think going to Bold on new network is hands down a great improvement. I love the fact you can messenger and email while on a call, been very useful for me and I think the 9700 is the best BB to date.

02-07-10 06:22 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD