02-07-10 06:22 PM
37 12
tools
    I replaced my 9630 Tour with a 9700 last week and while the data speeds truly are incredible (way too fast for the shtty BB browser now) I have issues with poor call quality, failed connections ("call failed"), and GPS only ever working once at Edmonton airport. I have traveled between Vancouver and Edmonton with exactly the same type and frequency of issues in both cities...probably 1/3 calls are problematic... anyone experiencing the same? I can't figure out if it is my phone or a network issue.
    11-14-09 10:18 PM
    anyone else know anything about this? about to buy a bold on telus :/
    11-15-09 03:00 PM
    I have dropped lots of calls in Edmonton area and even went into SOS mode at west edmonton mall last night. I'm assuming they are still working out the bugs with the new network. I reported issues to Telus but have not heard from them or noticed much difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 03:29 PM
    Yeah I'm in Vancouver as well and I have been put into SOS mode a few times where I used to get good cell reception.

For me though call quality is great, in fact a few of my friends have noticed improved quality when I call them and i have definitely noticed an improvement over my storm.

Data speeds are incredible and wifi is great. If you are looking to switch over I wouldn't really be worried as this is Telus' new babyt, they'll get the network running smoothly and glitch free as now they are in direct competition (phone offering wise) with bell, and rogers.
    11-15-09 04:10 PM
    I replaced my 9630 Tour with a 9700 last week and while the data speeds truly are incredible (way too fast for the shtty BB browser now) I have issues with poor call quality, failed connections ("call failed"), and GPS only ever working once at Edmonton airport. I have traveled between Vancouver and Edmonton with exactly the same type and frequency of issues in both cities...probably 1/3 calls are problematic... anyone experiencing the same? I can't figure out if it is my phone or a network issue.
    I've only had it a week and I get 2-3 dropped calls/failed calls per day. Also I will suddenly have a viocemail but no ringing or record of a missed call. And I cannot send a MMS message, I click send and get a red X.

But the data is much faster on the Bold (at least compared to my old Curve).

I never had dropped calls and the call quality was great with my Curve on the CDMA network, but the data was painfully slow. Now with the Bold my call quality sucks but the data is fast.
    11-15-09 08:35 PM
    ^^ give and take relationship eh?
    11-15-09 08:39 PM
    ^^ give and take relationship eh?
    Pretty much. I'm almost thinking I'd be better off going back to CDMA. Faster data isn't so important to me that I'm willing to sacrafice good call quality. In a perfect world I'd choose both!
    11-15-09 09:06 PM
    In the few days I used the HSPA network i found the call quality to be excellent. I never dropped a call even with 1 bar service, and had better coverage almost everywhere. Much improved from the pretty much lack of coverage offered by CDMA. The bold 9000 I was using had a bad PIN however, so I couldn't test data. I'll be picking up a 9700 ASAP and I'll see how it goes.

BTW I'm in Halifax, I'm not sure how the coverage is outside metro areas.
    11-16-09 09:41 AM
    I ended up grabbing it and its been perfect, no dropped bars, full bars almost always.

Only thing is gps doesn't work, not even for bb maps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 09:28 AM
    Picked up my 9700 yesterday, gps works great, even has ground speed that is very close to my speedo. worked all the way through from kamloops to vernon with no dropped call. My curve cdma would ALWAYS be out of service in this area. ill keep it
    11-22-09 04:25 PM
    Pretty much. I'm almost thinking I'd be better off going back to CDMA. Faster data isn't so important to me that I'm willing to sacrafice good call quality. In a perfect world I'd choose both!
    Which is exactly why I plan on having both. Now that i've got the Storm 2 on CDMA, gotta somehow get my Tour with the voice plan over the HSPA
    11-22-09 08:57 PM
    I'm not getting dropped calls, but some of my calls have really poor quality. It pretty much starts from the beginning of the call - very choppy....

I find that it isn't working so great indoors either. I tried to take a call in the mall today, and I had to try 3 times before I got a clear signal. Anyone else noticed this? I never had problems with my crappy Razer.
    11-22-09 09:46 PM
    No prbolems here so far. I get full 3G signal in my basement as opposed to 1 - 2 bars max on my Storm with CDMA
    11-23-09 08:44 AM
    Definitely a MUCH better network. I've only found ONE place that CDMA used to be better, and only better because it occasionally got 1 bar, whereas now I'm constantly out of service. Everywhere else I get a better signal, usually 5 bars, lots of places where I used to get ****ty signal. Data speeds are great, and there is no longer a lag between SMS. By the time the arrow comes up showing that it's sent, i can hear my friends phone vibrating. Pretty satisfied overall with the network thus far.
    11-23-09 09:38 AM
    Telus suggested I get a new phone, but now I am getting dropped calls! Also very poor call quality, voices cut out, sound garbled and sometimes when a call comes in it won't answer it, just sounds blank. I don't know if it's the network or the phone. I live right outside Calgary, and use the phone mostly in the city.
    12-12-09 05:40 PM
    the bold is the best bb every but i had to go back to cdma cause the hspa network sucks
    12-12-09 06:00 PM
    Interesting, I am on HSPA using a unlocked BB and I have very few issues. The GPS is superb, data is fast and call quality is radical... I guess I lucked out? I have gone into SOS mode 2 or 3 times in the month or so I have had the phone but a quick power down and back on fixes it right up. MUCH better than my CDMA curve which had NO MMS, NO GPS, and ****ty text messaging service...
    12-13-09 04:02 AM
    I have had the 9700 for a couple of weeks - no issues with new network.
    12-14-09 04:15 PM
    Really depends where you are with call quality. I have been with telus for 16 years and this is the same pattern with all thier services, Telus TV Launch. Google it and see the results of thier launch and the problems from updating, random reboots of the terminals, loss of connection, the list goes on.

The first year with telus and any new major network add-on is a joy ride.

With that said, telus is HUGE, they are not a small player by any means, they own thier entire network, resell it, share it etc. Telus has had one major problem over the last 5 years and they have gone to using sub-contractors to do the work as they do not have enough of thier own anymore. - Quality of standards and work show from this.

At anyrate, what is good with going with HSPA or dealing with the "beta" period with Telus? Cheap service, call them, talk to them, keep a running log of your problems and you will be taken care of, for 16 years they have been amazing.

Google telus and read about what they do not talk about on thier "advertisements", the tv commercial looks much better :P
    12-16-09 08:28 AM
    xolite is on the mark, Telus does treat their customers right. I've been a customer nowhere near the time that he has been, but I have been since 2000 and they've done everything and anything in their power to keep me happy. They screwed me over a bit with the new network, but they've made up for it in many ways, eg free service, and when I bought my 9700 for $250 last week, and went into the store yesterday to have a problem checked out, I noticed they dropped the price to $200 - they gave me $50 back because of the price change - is that customer satisfaction or what?!.
    12-16-09 10:13 AM
    I donloaded the latest leaked OS .421 and it fixed all my Telus Bold 9700 isuues.

No more rebooting all the time.
    No more SOS
    No more call failed with full signal.
    And better sound quality and faster response on the device.

With .421 its a totaly different phone and its stable even if its a leaked OS.
    I have been running it for one week so far so good
    12-23-09 07:45 AM
    Abilex, how are you finding the battery life? If it's the same as .344, I'll give it a shot. My 9700 has been rebooting way to much lately.
    12-23-09 10:57 AM
    I agree Telus does try to keep you happy. My call in to them gave me unlimited local calling for a month. I'd rather have good call quality and pay for my minutes though.
    12-23-09 09:04 PM
    i got my wife a 9700 on sat. we are on telus and the forst day was horrible no emails no instant messeges every was coming in an hour late telus tried to fix it and nothing we brought it back and gota new one and wow this phone is awesome i have a storm1 and thinking of getn this now. i thought the screen would be to small but no its so brite and clear you quickly forget the size
    12-24-09 05:30 AM
    I donloaded the latest leaked OS .421 and it fixed all my Telus Bold 9700 isuues.

No more rebooting all the time.
    No more SOS
    No more call failed with full signal.
    And better sound quality and faster response on the device.

With .421 its a totaly different phone and its stable even if its a leaked OS.
    I have been running it for one week so far so good
    After reading your post, I installed this OS and I noticed definite improvement in the performance, particularly call quality.
    12-24-09 09:42 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD