The Blackberry 8900 is gone from the T-Mobile web site.

Is this due to an impeding update without a trackball?

Just wondering.
    01-14-10 03:09 AM
    8900 is gone and so is the Touch Pro 2.. maybe the demand is not there anymore for it with the 9700 for high end customers and the 8520 for a less expensive device. Thinking the touch pro 2 is being replaced by the HD2?
    01-14-10 08:36 AM
    That's dumb. Why would they take off the BB 8900, but leave the other crappy phones.
    01-14-10 09:13 AM
    That's totally weird. I have no idea why they would do that.

They still have older BBs on there but no 8900...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 09:40 AM
    8900 is gone and so is the Touch Pro 2.. maybe the demand is not there anymore for it with the 9700 for high end customers and the 8520 for a less expensive device. Thinking the touch pro 2 is being replaced by the HD2?
    No way they would replace the TP2 with HD2. People need the keyboard.
    01-14-10 10:42 AM
    for me the 8120, is more expensive to upgrade to then the 8520, and the 8900 is gone. weird
    01-14-10 12:39 PM
    No way they would replace the TP2 with HD2. People need the keyboard.
    I agree, as I have the Touch Pro 2 and absolutely love it. Just wondering if they are keeping the Dash 3G as their qwerty device and the hd2 as the touch screen for winmo?? Hopefully this is just some reorganization on their website and nothing more
    01-14-10 01:09 PM
    The Blackberry 8900 is gone from the T-Mobile web site.

Is this due to an impeding update without a trackball?

Just wondering.
    RIP 8900. A terrific device.
    01-14-10 01:20 PM
    this is very surprising to me. Doesn't make sense. This has to be a glitch, the 8120's are still on there
    01-14-10 01:26 PM
    I wonder if I wait and do a warranty claim if they would send me an 9700 That would be great for me......
    nope. my wife had a problem with hers losing EDGE and dropping all the way to gprs and staying there.... swapped SIMs... did everything

she is getting a remaned 8900.

01-14-10 02:31 PM
    Yep, regardless there are probably thousands of refurb 8900's out there. Still this makes no sense. Call tmobile and they are still selling the phone
    01-14-10 02:34 PM
    Two things:

1 - The 8900 is sold out. The drop to $99 had my store out of stock a month ago. No stores in Las Vegas have had any for at least three weeks. People still love it, and snatched it up at that price.

2 - The TP2 is still available in stores, but we WILL be getting the HD2 in Spring sometime.
    01-14-10 03:08 PM
    The 8900 is sold out. The drop to $99 had my store out of stock a month ago. No stores in Las Vegas have had any for at least three weeks. People still love it, and snatched it up at that price.
    Not sure if I had the choice to get a brand new 8900 that I wouldn't seriously consider it. 3G isn't any big thing for me - not really finding any big advantage with it. And as we've already talked about, the 5.0 threaded sms is just enough to make me vomit. I do like the trackpad much more than I ever expected. All in all, a new 8900 isn't something I'd rule out if I had the chance.
    01-14-10 04:30 PM
    Not sure if I had the choice to get a brand new 8900 that I wouldn't seriously consider it. 3G isn't any big thing for me - not really finding any big advantage with it. And as we've already talked about, the 5.0 threaded sms is just enough to make me vomit. I do like the trackpad much more than I ever expected. All in all, a new 8900 isn't something I'd rule out if I had the chance.
    What's the big deal with the threaded messaging? I have Verizon and a Tour and don't see anyone running OS 5.0 complaining about the threading, but it seems everyone on T-Mo hates it haha.
    01-14-10 05:40 PM
    What's the big deal with the threaded messaging? I have Verizon and a Tour and don't see anyone running OS 5.0 complaining about the threading

Perhaps you need to follow your own Verizon discussion forum. Plenty of people at Verizon aren't happy.

it seems everyone on T-Mo hates it haha.
    T-Mobile customers are sexier and more trend setting.
    01-14-10 06:28 PM
    Perhaps you need to follow your own Verizon discussion forum. Plenty of people at Verizon aren't happy.

T-Mobile customers are sexier and more trend setting.
    Ehhh, I don't think so......I have been on the 9630 forums MUCH more than the T-Mo ones and it is quite obvious more people are mad about it here....maybe it is just personal experience and some psychology thing that makes me think that....but I don't think so.

And what I mean, is what is the problem, just that its threaded? Because pretty much every smartphone has threaded SMS now. (iphone, android, webos, etc.) Although they have much prettier ways of doing it.
    01-14-10 06:41 PM
    I switched to 5.0 on my Curve 8900.

The threaded messaging is wonderful...only when I'm texting friends. It keeps things organized.

The news/twitter updates though...U-G-H.

01-14-10 07:02 PM
    I switched to 5.0 on my Curve 8900.

The threaded messaging is wonderful...only when I'm texting friends. It keeps things organized.

The news/twitter updates though...U-G-H.
    SMS is not an IM app. Never was intended to be. For any of us who rely on SMS for broadcast updates, this dreaded threaded sms format is just horrible.

I got a series of text messages the other day from a co-worker. Yes, it made following THAT series of conversations interesting. But the tradeoff for the occasional chit-chat with a friend or coworker is not at all worthwhile when you get alert text messages from Google, AP News and other broadcast services.

The problem here is that RIM did not think this through. Had they thought this through, they would have understood that this dreaded threaded sms function wouldn't fit the needs of everyone and they would have given users the option to use the dreaded threaded sms or the traditional/classic format.

Now the project is to get RIM to go back and re-engineer their code to allow the dreaded threaded sms function to be disabled and turned off.
    01-15-10 10:37 AM
    And what I mean, is what is the problem, just that its threaded?
    Obviously you are just using your text message function for chit-chatting with others. They've long made apps to do that function. They're called IM apps.

If you used your device to receive on-going news and alert flashes, you would detest this dreaded threaded sms.
    01-15-10 10:40 AM
    I'm still trying to get used to it but it's difficult.

Are all future BBs going to have it? RIM needs to fix this.

When the Haiti situation began, I could barely stand the updates.

01-15-10 10:59 AM
    Obviously you are just using your text message function for chit-chatting with others. They've long made apps to do that function. They're called IM apps.

If you used your device to receive on-going news and alert flashes, you would detest this dreaded threaded sms.
    I use text messaging for chit-chatting but there are so many bugs in the system it makes it a hassle to do so. Updates are equally frustrating.

The trackpad on the 9700 functioned much smoother than the one on the 8520, plus the 8520 screen is much lower quality. It's the difference between a Samsung and a Motorola screen in terms of resolution.

I prefer the angled buttons of the 9700, but that was really the only improvement over the 8900 as far as I'm concerned. 3G is also not a big deal, because the BB browser isn't good enough to do any serious surfing on anyway.
    01-15-10 12:48 PM
    hey norriscell, i just got off the phone with tmobile once i saw this thread and i asked them being that the device is no longer for sale does that mean that OS updates wont be supported? the man replied that as of right now no, and that he had seen nothing to indicate that they would be in the future but if i wanted to DL the OS from the BlackBerry website i could.

in short, with tmo nixing the 8900 the device wont see an official tmo 5.0 upgrade. can you wink twice if that's true?
    01-15-10 02:48 PM

Yea, but they also have apps for news/alets haha. And I just delete all my texts at the end of the day no matter what. Don't really care how they come in.
    01-15-10 06:27 PM
    They just told me they're sending me a replacement for my BB, could it be a refurb since they're no longer selling the 8900?
    01-19-10 12:59 AM
    8900 is out of stock. They are still selling the device, it's one of their best selling BBs.

01-19-10 07:28 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD