This may be good news for someone that has always wanted to come on board to the realm of BB/RIM (i.e. a BB virgin); or who simply wants to get their hands on a trackpad BB. But for those of us who have been de-cherry'ed in the BB world (i.e. owned BBs for quite some time now); why on earth would the trackpad be the big selling point to get the 8530? No way.

Heck; not even the "Essex" should be deemed a sincere upgrade. The optical trackpad favored instead of the trackball is a great thing indeed...but let's not forget the lackluster, aged and fairly handicapped OS that BBs run...this is where THE REAL upgrade needs to come in.
    12-07-09 06:47 PM
    This may be good news for someone that has always wanted to come on board to the realm of BB/RIM (i.e. a BB virgin); or who simply wants to get their hands on a trackpad BB. But for those of us who have been de-cherry'ed in the BB world (i.e. owned BBs for quite some time now); why on earth would the trackpad be the big selling point to get the 8530? No way.

Heck; not even the "Essex" should be deemed a sincere upgrade. The optical trackpad favored instead of the trackball is a great thing indeed...but let's not forget the lackluster, aged and fairly handicapped OS that BBs run...this is where THE REAL upgrade needs to come in.
    I think the trackpad is most favored by the seasoned blackberry owners who have a sour taste from the original tour trackballs. For the essex I think the biggest upgrade is the wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 07:26 PM
    I think the trackpad is most favored by the seasoned blackberry owners who have a sour taste from the original tour trackballs. For the essex I think the biggest upgrade is the wifi.

Don't get me wrong; the trackpad is a considerable enough of an improvement to get a BB over the traditional trackball-laced BB...but the trackpad isn't reason enough to get the 8530 in my opinion (especially since all its other features are pretty much sub-par/non-existent). That's my point.
    12-07-09 07:54 PM
    The trackpad isn't a selling point, it's just the way all new devices are going to go anyways. They likely aren't trying to target existing Tour/Bold owners with this thing.
    12-07-09 08:13 PM
    Don't get me wrong; the trackpad is a considerable enough of an improvement to get a BB over the traditional trackball-laced BB...but the trackpad isn't reason enough to get the 8530 in my opinion (especially since all its other features are pretty much sub-par/non-existent). That's my point.
    The point is that if someone is considering getting a Curve now, they might as well wait a few more days and check out the Curve 2 which is better in almost every way than the original Curve.
    12-07-09 09:17 PM
    The point is that if someone is considering getting a Curve now, they might as well wait a few more days and check out the Curve 2 which is better in almost every way than the original Curve.
    Technically the 8530 isn't the 'Curve 2'. But in any case; the phone definitely will be a good seller for Sprint and most people will be happy w/ the phone.

12-07-09 09:32 PM
    When you take the baseline Curve now, put a ton of extra RAM in it, and add Wi-Fi, it will be a plus for many people. Dunno why they shortsightedly dropped the flash from the camera, but the device will take the reins from the 8330 in stride.

12-07-09 10:08 PM
    I played with Verizon's version for about a hour and the trackpad takes some getting use to. Point being is when you go to push down or select something it has a tendency to move whatever it is you have highlighted. With the trackball your thumb covers the whole ball so whatever you have highlighted doesn't move. Try it for yourself but I really wished they would build on the ball instead of going the trackpad direction.
    12-07-09 10:11 PM
    any guesses on how it will cost retail???
    12-07-09 11:14 PM
    From your messages, you seem to know quite a bit about Sprint and blackberry devices. I plan to be a new blackberry user (waiting on the 8530) and will be new to sprint. You mention in your messages the following....

3200 Anytime minutes shared by 5 lines; unlimited calling to any mobile phone; unlimited calling to any 3 land-lines per phone; unlimited data/BIS/tethering; unlimited SMS and MMS; N&W at 7pm; free navigation; free roaming; free Airave; largest 3G network in the country = $165/month + tax (approx. $21)

Can you please let me know specifically who to contact, what website to visit, etc to look into the plan you mention? I don't see that plan on the general sprint.com website. Thanks!
    12-07-09 11:33 PM
    From your messages, you seem to know quite a bit about Sprint and blackberry devices. I plan to be a new blackberry user (waiting on the 8530) and will be new to sprint. You mention in your messages the following....

3200 Anytime minutes shared by 5 lines; unlimited calling to any mobile phone; unlimited calling to any 3 land-lines per phone; unlimited data/BIS/tethering; unlimited SMS and MMS; N&W at 7pm; free navigation; free roaming; free Airave; largest 3G network in the country = $165/month + tax (approx. $21)

Can you please let me know specifically who to contact, what website to visit, etc to look into the plan you mention? I don't see that plan on the general sprint.com website. Thanks!
    12-07-09 11:40 PM
    When you take the baseline Curve now, put a ton of extra RAM in it, and add Wi-Fi, it will be a plus for many people. Dunno why they shortsightedly dropped the flash from the camera, but the device will take the reins from the 8330 in stride.

Yeah; a lot of people (including myself) like the form factor of the Curve 8330. I like the fact that the keys have spaces between each one of them; and overall the design feels solid and nice in the hands. Before I switched to the Tour; I had the Curve for over a year..it treated me well.

The form factor of the 8530 is nice as well (as it shares similarities in more ways than not with the 8330). I think Sprint should have instead released a '8900' w/ a trackpad.

12-08-09 10:40 AM

so what exactly do u suggest for somebody that has been a curve user for over 3 years? im on the 8350i now because of nextel but i am switching to the sprint network... go with the tour, or go with 8530? reasons too please! thanks
    12-08-09 07:20 PM
    so what exactly do u suggest for somebody that has been a curve user for over 3 years? im on the 8350i now because of nextel but i am switching to the sprint network... go with the tour, or go with 8530? reasons too please! thanks
    1. search
    2. the Tour is junk
    3. either get the 8330 now ($50 gets you 2 of them) and then wait until the Tour 2 comes out and see if you like it, or get the 8530 in a week or so when it comes out.
    12-08-09 07:42 PM
    Try the 8530 when it's in store. If you don't like it then wait for the Essex. The 8530 is a pretty big cost reduction so there's a possibility you might not like the feel, housing changes, loss of flash, etc.
    12-08-09 08:52 PM
    papped or prince ... whats wrong with the tour? .. i really dont trust any of the sprint reps to point me to the right direction ... they have no clue whats happening... as far as the features... etc (sorry to the reps that actually do their job right) thats why i'm actually asking those that have the old hand in the business
    12-08-09 10:30 PM
    Worthless? All I see here is yet one more post saying "oh I heard that the 8530/tour 2 is coming on ___". Like everyone else has said after me, Where was this confirmed at? Where's the article confirming it from sprint? Otherwise its just rumor mongering. Perhaps this should be in the rumor section.

I agree, Wolf. About as TRANSPARENT as our govt.

Hey Kob, Instead of saying how rediculous or worthless it is to ask where you found this information, why not just answer the question and link the article that confirmed it. Everyone on here interested in the 8530 has read that it could be the 18th, or it could have been the 20th of Nov, or the 2nd of January ... or whatever.

Newbie or not, I know a forum button pusher when I see one, lol. Your pretty good at it, but I don't think you drug it out quite long enough.

Whatever the case, I hope it's the 18th so that I'm not 'pwn'd by the "interweb". LMAO (wish there was an icon/emoticon for laughing myself to tears at someone elses comments..but there isn't)

Cheers
    12-09-09 01:05 AM
    He can't answer that question because there's no way he could confirm it. The fact that this thread went to 3 pages is quite impressive, in a stupid way. Though with the OP, I do believe 18th is the date for the 8530 and the Essex date is early 1Q. I've heard numerous dates for both devices and it's strongly leading to it.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 12-09-09 at 09:15 AM.
    12-09-09 09:13 AM
    papped or prince ... whats wrong with the tour? .. i really dont trust any of the sprint reps to point me to the right direction ... they have no clue whats happening... as far as the features... etc (sorry to the reps that actually do their job right) thats why i'm actually asking those that have the old hand in the business
    people who bought the Tour already will feel that Tour2 or Curve2 isnt a big upgrade. thats why i waited to see whats going on.. so ocming from a 8330 .. Tour2 and Curve2 will be a great upgrade. All the flaws fixed from Tour.. *hopefully*

And Aflownwiz. Theres many threads on this forum both sprint and verizon Tour phones of having trackball problems and in some cases a screen ripple. so i would suggest to wait at least this month to see if you like the curve 2 that would be a good phone.. I wouldnt recommend a tour, like i said before just the thought of having to replace a phone 3-5 times is pointless... and for discounts depending where you work. Sprint can give you a discount just call and ask if your company gets a discount and state where you work and they would tell you a percentage.
    12-09-09 01:49 PM
    1. search
    2. the Tour is junk
    3. either get the 8330 now ($50 gets you 2 of them) and then wait until the Tour 2 comes out and see if you like it, or get the 8530 in a week or so when it comes out.
    Why is the Tour junk? I've had it for a few months now and I haven't had any major problems with it at all that I could think of. There's always gonna be something bigger and/or better 6 months down the line anyways, it's 2009 going on 2010, there's improvements to technology everyday and tomorrow aint promised. Get what can get when you want it, the majority will never be truly satisfied anyways. (The 8530 seems like a waste of money, if the rumors I've heard about it are true, imo, unless if u are a newbie to blackberry)

12-09-09 09:47 PM
    What does the Curve 2 have that Tour doesn't?

12-10-09 03:54 AM
    What does the Curve 2 have that Tour doesn't?

Wi-Fi and OpenGL.

Bad news for some that wanted this phone before the holiday season. It seems as though it's going to be released on 1/10/2010.
    12-10-09 11:44 AM
    According to the report, The release date is now Jan. 10, 2010.

Sprint BlackBerry 8530 on December 18th (Updated) | PhoneNews.com
    12-10-09 12:22 PM
    boooooo can i do a 30 day exchange? wonder what the price will be
    12-10-09 11:05 PM
    2 q's? what is open GL and if i do a 30 day exchange on my curve now for the tour.. when i get the tour do i still have a 30 day exchange on it too?
    12-11-09 12:15 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD