11-30-09 11:13 PM
27 12
tools
    I am adjusting to BB, but my biggest problem is incoming rings - it rings 3 times, maybe 15 seconds, before going to voice mail. In other words, if in pocket or case, I don't have time to answer.

Can't find any settings or changes - does anyone have this problem or a solution?????
    01-01-09 08:59 AM
    It's a carrier setting. Call them and ask for a change.
    01-01-09 09:01 AM
    Can you tell me how I can change my ring sounds? And how do I stop the phone from vibrating when someone is calling me ?
    01-01-09 09:34 AM
    its all in the phone. It has a very good help section, can answer all your questions. But while im replying, go to "profiles" on the main screen, then "advanced" and select which volume you want to edit.

I agree about the ring length. 3 rings and then voicemail is too short. Can you really call nextel and have this changed?
    01-01-09 11:10 AM
    I contacted Nextel about this very problem. The rep I spoke with said there is no way to change the amount of times the 8350i rings before going to voicemail. I agree it is a pain. Just one more negative thing to add to the 8350i list.
    01-01-09 02:58 PM
    Yes, I have the solution - you CAN extend the ring time if you find somone who knows what they are doing.

First, standard BB is 3 rings.

However, I remembered extending ring time from 15 to 30 seconds on my old Nextels.

Solution - took 3 calls to Customer Care, finally got thru to some advanced BB for Nextel guy, took a long hold, but he did some programming, removed battery to reset, and voila, it now rings 6 times - normal.

So my advise, tech rep at store game me one number, who transferred me to another (I already had 2 guys say the ring length depended on ring selected which is b----t), so I kept trying. It does work, husband is now happy.

Good luck
    01-04-09 05:39 PM
    Yes its ture, I did it today, I had my incoming ring amount changed. i now ring 6 times, 30 second before it goes to voice mail. I'm not sure where I ran across on how to change the ringing/ viberate. But if I remember correctly, U go to the top left corner and click on the speak icon, then scroll down to Advanced. I have my normal (Active), then use your menu button and selecte Edit. Then Go through every thing u want to edit. Hope I explained this right.. Oh yeah, if i'm not by my pc. Just Pin message me and I'll come back to the computer.
    Last edited by Talontsi150; 01-04-09 at 06:09 PM.
    01-04-09 05:58 PM
    Does anyone have a step by step direction on how to change the ring time before going to voice mail or is it true this can only be chnaged by the carrier
    01-04-09 08:58 PM
    Only the Carrier can do it. When you call Sprint, they will transfer you to a Nextel rep and go from there.
    01-04-09 09:45 PM
    Wrong.^^^^^^^

I just did it myself and changed it to ring 6 times before voicemail.

Go to "profiles" on top left corner.
    Scroll down to "advanced".
    Select which volume you want (i selected loud).
    Scroll down to "phone".
    Select "out of holster".
    Select "tone" only.

Do the same for "in holster".

Save it.

You're done. Now instead of it vibrating 3 times, them ringing 3 times, It will ring 6 times.

I have no clue as to what nextel made these people do when they called in about it. Remove the battery? WTH?
    Last edited by db0723; 01-05-09 at 12:51 AM.
    01-05-09 12:44 AM
    Since I started this by calling Customer Care (repeatedly with frustration), I do believe db0723's idea should work.

I could not believe this advanced phone did not have a setting somewhere to change this - 3 rings is ridiculous due to the amount of people who use holsters.

But talk about hidden - in or out of holster makes a difference in rings - that is funny!

Good find db0723 - this is actually making the difference if my husband keeps the phone - he needs to learn BB, but the rings were ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be nice if BB listed this somewhere in the book as an instruction!
    01-05-09 07:46 AM
    db0723 you must have a special edition 8350i. I followed your instructions to the letter and I still have only three rings on my phone before it goes to voice mail. Anyone else try his instructions and get 6 rings? Tired of the 3!
    01-05-09 08:06 AM
    All of my Nextel phones from the very first I530 I got years ago to the 8350i I've got now have only rang about 3 times. 9 times out of 10, it's enough for me to answer it in time. I'm not going to break my leg running across the house to get to a phone call. Usually when I'm at home, my phone is within an arm's length away from me and it's easy to swipe. The only time I have problems is when my knee is acting up (Darn ACL problems!) and I have to hobble across the room to get it or something.

I don't have a problem with it. That's why I have voice mail. And if they need me bad enough, they'll call right back and keep calling until I answer.

But do call customer service and keep calling back until you get a more seasoned CSR. The newer ones aren't trained the same ways as the ones who have been there a while. The newer ones may not know something that the older ones know or vice versa. I've had only one problem with my 7100i not connecting to the Internet when I had it and I had to get transferred to 3 different CSRs before they found out it was a problem on their end. Someone swapped my phone out in their system from the 7100i back to my old, old I530. Problem solved.
    01-05-09 09:29 AM
    Followed dba's instructions ...still the menu allows only 3 rings ?
    I saw no option for 6
    01-05-09 10:09 AM
    db0723,

We maybe on 2 different subjects. I'm talking about physical ring time. When a person call your phone, it will either right 3 or 6 times before it goes to voice mail. Most Nextel only ring 3 times before going to voice mail. So dont label me as being wrong. I know forsure I called sprint yesterday and the Rep added a file to my phone profile. The rep made me remove my battery and put it back. My phone powerd up. The rep told me to hold on, she would call me on the other line. My phone rang 6 times before going to voice mail. So i'm not wrong once again! Or then again db0723 u might have a special 8350i
    01-05-09 01:55 PM
    OR maybe you dont know how to follow instructions? I have 6 rings before voicmail, and I didnt have to deal with CS for 2 hours. Sorry. Goodluck with that.
    01-05-09 07:01 PM
    Well, DB - I tried your instructions 3 times...didn't work. Ended up calling Nextel - got a very nice rep who placed a 15 second addition to the ring. Call lasted MAYBE 2 minutes with him. Is it my imagination or is Sprint/Nextel trying to upgrade their CSRs? The 3 or 4 times I have called since I received my 8350i on Tuesday have been very satisfying. Oh, and he said that the system was down last night (on purpose) so they could upgrade....hopefully this upgrade will take care of the many problems with this phone. He said that I was "in line" for this ring length change to take effect - maybe 12-24 hours. I checked five minutes after we hung up and it has already taken effect. Very impressed...so far!
    01-15-09 01:36 PM
    I dont know if this works for all carriers (it does on Telus)

Dial *94 and add a last # for the number of rings you want -- so if you want 6 rings you dial *946, 5 rings is *945, etc.
    Let me know if it works for your carrier
    01-15-09 02:50 PM
    DB0743 - Your instructions work for me; however, it didn't really change the number of rings. I have my phone profile set to "phone only" which causes the phone to ring, then vibrate, ring, vibrate, three times each in succession. By making your change, the phone now rings six times - no vibrate.

Just right. Thanks!
    03-06-09 07:44 PM
    I dont know if this works for all carriers (it does on Telus)

Dial *94 and add a last # for the number of rings you want -- so if you want 6 rings you dial *946, 5 rings is *945, etc.
    Let me know if it works for your carrier
    Did not seem to work.
    03-06-09 08:15 PM
    Wow, this really works, I appreciate your post.
    07-02-09 06:01 AM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-29-09 07:39 AM
    [QUOTE=landlee;3700716]Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

sorry to bother all you clever people; I have a Pearl 8110 and the most I can get from it following your excellent advice is 4 rings.
    I'm in teh UK - do you think this matters? Otherwise any advice please? Thanks

09-29-09 07:41 AM
    Attention people with Nextel phones real simply and easy process to do. By default Nextel has a 15 second ring all you have to do is call them up speak to a bb tech and just tell them you would like to have a 30 second ring or you would just like to have an extended ring that's all you have to do. I have many Nextel phones from the time they came out around 1997 and on a few later models I had this done for me. The reason I say speak to a bb tech speaks for itself.

Now what the other person was telling others to do as a workaround so you wouldn't have to call is go into profiles, select a ring type (loud, normal, etc.) lets just say loud. Now what you wanna do is after you select loud go back into profiles and go to advance which is at the bottom of the menu. Now if you done this correctly you will see the profiles (you can avoid the first step and just go to advance also) select lets just say Loud and you will see another menu. Here you can set all the tone you want for each thing now (sms, email,facebook, etc). Scroll down to phone select that and you will see all the settings. Whatever ringtone you select make sure you change the first option to tone only (that's for out of holster) Set the volume to high medium or low which ever you like the go down to in holster and select tone only do the same as above then save. Now your phone will only ring this should help you get more then 3 rings (Not to sure cause I have a curve).

But a well placed phone call to the right dept. should resolve this problem and if that person says it can't be done get the supervisor. You can have your ring extended.

Sorry for this being so long but if its explained right the first time you want have 24 pages of the same question.
    09-29-09 09:14 AM
    ok so, what do i do if i am using a boostberry, and have to call a csr to extend the ring? can boost do this as well?
    11-30-09 11:02 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD