Just got new Curve 8330m. I cannot get the GPS to connect to satellites. I live in Madison, WI

I have seen many threads offering fixes. Can someone bottom line the optimal way to fix this? I downloaded Garmin mobile and that too cannot connect. I have GPS activated. Zero connection. I have been outside, driving. Zero.

I called tech support and they told me that RIM has a weak GPS signal in this area so its not surprising I can't connect. I have never heard this before. Has anyone been told this before?

Anyone in WI or N. Illinois able to connect to GPS with a 8330m?

Thx
    11-17-09 07:11 PM
    Have you loaded a new OS?
    11-17-09 07:27 PM
    Your profile says Verizon but you posted in the USCellular forum. If you have a Verizon 8330m, and are running OS4.5 or later, then you can use BBMaps with your internal GPS. No other 3rd party GPS app will work. If you are a USCellular user, you have a different problem. USCellular users often have problems with their GPS, even though the carrier ostensibly supports it. There is a thread in the GPS forum called http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/ which may help you.
    11-17-09 07:30 PM
    sorry folks. Just went to USCC last weekend and have not updated profile. I am using .169 for this 8330m. Love this OS--even with verizon I liked it. Loosk like no easy fix. thx
    11-17-09 08:12 PM
    The Garmin trick doesn't work with 8330m's?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 11:13 PM
    Bob, I know this wasn't your question but if you just switched from VZW, why not get a Tour?

The 8330m is notorious for it's GPS problems.

11-17-09 11:29 PM

I have an 8330m and the Garmin fix worked perfectly. I get almost instant locks.
    11-18-09 08:41 PM
    It did not work at all. I had Garmin search for 45 minutes. Nothing. Any tweaks to Garmin? I just loaded it and ran it. I have four more days of trial.

I would settle for Google maps at this point but even it wont wrk with 8330m.
    11-19-09 07:53 PM
    Bob, I know this wasn't your question but if you just switched from VZW, why not get a Tour?

The 8330m is notorious for it's GPS problems.

I did not want to spend any more $ and I like this phone. Bought phone for 30 bucks with promom. Gave up perfectly good 8330 from Verizon because of terrible reception in my home. They let us out of contract. USCC is so much better. Very clear and always at -80. Love it.

luckily I am not a big GPS user, but I still want it.
    11-19-09 07:55 PM
    I did not want to spend any more $ and I like this phone. Bought phone for 30 bucks with promom. Gave up perfectly good 8330 from Verizon because of terrible reception in my home. They let us out of contract. USCC is so much better. Very clear and always at -80. Love it.

luckily I am not a big GPS user, but I still want it.
    If you're within 30 days you could trade it for a Tour on Black Friday and actually get your thirty bucks back.
    11-19-09 10:36 PM

I also have an 8330M from US Cellular and the Garmin trick didn't work for me either. The version that I downloaded was 5.0.6 and the version that I saw mentioned as being a fix was 5.4. I'm guessing that this might have something to do with it.
    12-07-09 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD