So I'm thinking of switching to the Hero in the next couple of months and was wondering if anyone else has gone from a Curve to a Hero and how they liked it? Is it as capable at receiving e-mail and running multiple apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 08:13 PM
    So I'm thinking of switching to the Hero in the next couple of months and was wondering if anyone else has gone from a Curve to a Hero and how they liked it? Is it as capable at receiving e-mail and running multiple apps?

I had a 8330 and bought the hero when it first came out, i now have the samsung moment. Do yourself a favor and get the moment,

reasons not to get the hero:
    1. Battery drain "the messaging app on the hero has a know problem and does no let the hero sleep draining the battery, you can get a 3rd party app handcent and replace the messaging app until sprint comes out with a fix for this who knows how long this will take
    2. Dust under the screen, I got dust under my screen called htc "they knew it was a design flaw with the phone they said they were working on a fix for this, when i asked what kind of fix they said i would need to return the phone "paying for shipping" and have them fix posssibly being out a phone for a week or so "totally unacceptable" and sooner or later you will need to have this fixed

I went through 2 heros really wanting them to work out but im so happy i went with the samsung. The sense ui is nice on the hero but, im running the same apps and widgets as the hero with no problems.

Just look at sprints own forum for the hero, and all the problems people are having with the hero.

Sprint Hero by HTC community
    11-27-09 09:38 PM
    The messaging app bug has been fixed in a MR from Sprint. I don't know if HTC has solved the dust issue yet, but my Hero didn't have any dust. I went from Tour to Hero and I really missed my Tour. Lucky, I was able to get my Tour back and I returned the Hero.

To answer your questions, it does run multiple apps, and you'll get your email.
    11-27-09 10:40 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies, I was also noticing the lack of accessories for the Hero I am a mechanic so I like to have my phone protected well while at work. I can't seem to find many skins and cases or even a clip on with a belt clip. I'll have to look into the moment a little more, but I used to own a Behold and Samsung was pretty bad about updates and bug fixing.
    11-27-09 11:27 PM
    Having tried both the hero and the moment, its the hero in a landslide for me. The battery life on the hero is not bad. I am using it pretty heavily and I get 12 to 14 hours before I get to 30% I've never had problems finding accessories. I have the seidio innocase combo, with a boxwave screen protector, and I've seen many other gel cases and accessories. Its an amazing phone with superb build quality and I have no dust under the screen. Go play with both. The hero is simply outstanding.
    11-27-09 11:52 PM
    I've played with the Hero a couple of times and watched a few videos and I love it. Just hope they figure out that dust thing before I go to get mine. Where did you find the cases for it?
    11-28-09 12:00 AM
    I've played with the Hero a couple of times and watched a few videos and I love it. Just hope they figure out that dust thing before I go to get mine. Where did you find the cases for it?
    Seidio online, if you get the phone at best buy, get their insurance. They will swap it out for you if you get any dust under the screen, or if you drop it and smash the screen, whatever. They have an awesome black tie insurance program which makes owning an expensive phone, worry free.
    11-28-09 02:31 PM
    How do you pay for the best buy insurance can they add it to your bill or do they send you a separate bill?
    11-29-09 08:30 PM
    It's 9.99 a month, and they charge it to my credit card.3 bucks more a month, but no deductible. They also replace for water damage, dropped phones, and dust etc. Ten bucks a month is well worth the peace of mind.
    Last edited by Semantics; 11-29-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: u
    11-29-09 09:07 PM
    So the only thing they don't cover is lost/stolen?
    11-29-09 09:10 PM
    I'm pretty sure they do, but I don't have the documentation in front of me.
    11-29-09 09:20 PM
    I just recently upgraded from the 8330 to the HTC Hero. It was the best decision I ever made. The battery is not bad at all and all the apps are great.
    11-30-09 02:37 AM
    I know people who are upgrading from the Tour to the Hero. The Hero is a great device.
    11-30-09 06:15 PM
    It's 9.99 a month, and they charge it to my credit card.3 bucks more a month, but no deductible. They also replace for water damage, dropped phones, and dust etc. Ten bucks a month is well worth the peace of mind.
    Wow that's much better than Sprint's rip off $100 deductible.
    11-30-09 06:51 PM
    I have done a lot of research and I am waiting on the time to upgrade. I will get an Android, I just don't know if I would rather have the Hero or Droid. Prefer Sprint, Prefer Droid, can't have it both ways.

But diving deeper into the differences between the Hero, Droid and Moment. They all run Android. But the Hero runs Android with Sense UI running over it. It's just HTC's way to make Android more awesome. It works, but android unchanged isn't exactly sucky.

Also, about the versions. Droid already runs Android 2.0, Hero has promised that it will release 2.0 as soon as they can create Sense UI and 2.0 combined, but the Moment don't seem worried about newer versions of Android. In Fact, Samsung is creating their own smartphone platform in the next year. So it doesn't seem that Android is tops on the list of 'things Samsung cares about'. Not saying Moment will never get 2.0, but I would like to see a sign before I believe they will get it.

Overall, I dismiss the Moment, though personally I love having a qwerty, the lesser processing speed and un-guaranteed support takes me out. (the qwerty is why I got my 8330 in the 1st place) So my choice is between the Hero and the Droid. And honestly that choice boils down to whether I can talk my wife into switching carriers just so I can get the phone I want.
    11-30-09 07:00 PM
    I'd dismiss the Moment based on the keyboard alone, that thing is terrible.
    11-30-09 07:25 PM
    In my experience with Samsung they tend to not worry about upgrading software even when it's really needed. So I wouldn't expect the moment to get 2.0 if Samsung has anything to do with it.

12-01-09 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD