While I use VZNav, and will continue to use it, I do wish they'd allow other GPS programs as well. There are programs with different uses out there (tracks, geocaching, picture location...), we just can't use them with Verizon.
    Well, it seems you're buring your own rope here. By purchasing into VZNav you're supporting VZW's Monopolizing of the GPS capabilities of this phone. As long as they keep getting money from people such as yourself for something that should be opened up, they have no drive to open it up. You can't have your cake and eat it too...
    09-03-08 07:27 AM
    Well , what does Civic like to say '"Replace user and press any key to continue"?

When I first fired up VZnav , it was spot on to my location (at work). I checked it again about 2 hours later(still at work) and it showed that I was about 2 MILES north of where I actually was , when I clicked on my location information it says "accuracy 2 miles".???

I thought that was odd. So I exited VZnav and restarted and am just trying to "plan a trip" from my current location(work) to home , and everytime I try to resume the trip it says;

"could not process your GPS request. Please try again , if error continues please exit and restart VZnav"

Not sure what I am doing wrong here? I have 4 bars service and great EVDO coverage , what else do I need?
    Your issue could be because of the BETA OS you're running, but without further testing it would be hard to say if that's really the reason. My blatant guess of course would be to blame the cheap *** "pay for" solution that VZW calls VZNav. It blows and that's the end of it. Open up the GPS!!!
    09-03-08 07:29 AM
    The website is alittle funny sometimes. It should've worked. The website doesn't like to add features when it needs to delete another feature or add a free feature so you can add the main one. In this case all the features you need should be on your acct. Just call a csr it will take 30seconds to change.
    09-03-08 09:34 AM
    Well , what does Civic like to say '"Replace user and press any key to continue"?

When I first fired up VZnav , it was spot on to my location (at work). I checked it again about 2 hours later(still at work) and it showed that I was about 2 MILES north of where I actually was , when I clicked on my location information it says "accuracy 2 miles".???

I thought that was odd. So I exited VZnav and restarted and am just trying to "plan a trip" from my current location(work) to home , and everytime I try to resume the trip it says;

"could not process your GPS request. Please try again , if error continues please exit and restart VZnav"

Not sure what I am doing wrong here? I have 4 bars service and great EVDO coverage , what else do I need?
    I may be wrong here, but doesn't VZNav use the GPS receiver in the phone (not the cell tower coverage), so if you are inside your office at work you are probably not getting any GPS satellite reception?
    09-03-08 10:07 AM
    I may be wrong here, but doesn't VZNav use the GPS receiver in the phone (not the cell tower coverage), so if you are inside your office at work you are probably not getting any GPS satellite reception?
    It uses both. That's what AGPS is. It first uses cell tower triangulation to get a quick fix, while the GPS is acquiring satelites. It's kind of the best of both worlds.
    09-03-08 01:26 PM
    *updates*

If you try to seek out and find VZnav on the Verizon Website you cannot add this to your account , when trying you get the message I posted above. If you log into your account and click on my plan and then add or remove feature ,you can tick the box for VZnav, continue and it successfully adds it without having to call VZW. So I was able to get it added yesterday.

I hadn't thought about the beta OS being a problem , that is a good point civic. Anyways a battery pull got it working again. Although I have had it give me the same error a few times this morning , with an exit and restart of VZnav fixing it this time.

VZnav works fine from my desk , but not so well in the bathroom

I am still getting used to VZnav and my first impression is that its not near as fluid as Google Maps , but we'll see what I think after a good week or so of using it.

Thanks everybody!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 01:57 PM
    I have used VZnav since it came out and I love it. It is far superior to the GPS in my vehicle.

09-03-08 03:38 PM
    It uses both. That's what AGPS is. It first uses cell tower triangulation to get a quick fix, while the GPS is acquiring satelites. It's kind of the best of both worlds.
    That's not how aGPS works. There is no cell tower triangulation going on. The phone sends a signal to the PDE server for GPS coordinates. The PDE server gets info from the phone as to the current cell tower it's attached to and then looks up the location of this cell tower in its database for locations. Once it finds the info, it corrolates the cell tower's position with the closest GPS sats in the sky for that location and polls the GPS location data for you from those sats. The PDE server then sends this location data to the phone for use in the GPS based application. Depending on settings in the Qualcomm chipset, the GPS location number crunching can happen on the handset or on the PDE server. The whole idea behind aGPS systems is to give you a better TTF (Time To Fix), but most of the time, this doesn't matter as much in today's world as GPS chipsets can lock into at least 4 sats in about 10-20 secs as apposed to longer time in the past. aGPS can help speed those locks to 5 secs or less.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 09-03-08 at 04:15 PM.
    09-03-08 04:13 PM
    I have used VZNav on regular cell phones across the country. It works great in heavily populated areas, however, driving across the great state of Iowa, you go into the "Extended Network" H*LL and VZNavigator does not work.

I used a Garmin 760 in my truck, and since I'm still relatively new to BB, I've pulled up directions on BB Maps that is loaded on my BB through Verizon. Is this really possible? The "about" section on the program does show the blackberry.com website for additional information. I thought vzw locked this out?

Or am I looking at this wrong and it's really google maps?
    Last edited by mchugh89; 09-06-08 at 06:06 PM.
    09-06-08 06:03 PM
    Both BBMaps and Google Maps will provide maps on a Verizon phone, they just can't access the internal GPS to locate you on the maps. Google Maps can approximate your location by using the received signal strength from cell towers. When it's doing that, it will show your location as a circle with a radius of 1700-m to 5000-m. BBMaps can't do that.

Do you have a VZNav subscription on your 8330? A couple of folks have reported getting the GPS to work with other apps by closing VZNav without exiting it, but their results haven't been consistently repeatable, nor has the community at large been able to reproduce them. If you are getting that to work, it would be good to know it.
    09-06-08 08:12 PM
    I pay for VZnav and I have been unsuccessful on any level, at leaving VZnav running in the background and accessing the active GPS with another application. I have tried and tried and TRIED with bbmaps , googlemaps ,live search with no positive results.

09-06-08 09:35 PM
    Checkout Post 937 and following in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

The folks that have gotten what you describe to work were using OS 4.5. That might be one difference. But their results aren't consistently repeatable either.
    09-06-08 09:47 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD