Hi All,

Brand new to CrackBerry just like to say it's a mine of info !

I'm about to buy my 1st BB and have picked the 8120 .. but at a loss on provider, I'm already an o2 customer but have a sim only deal they can't add the BB bolt on to so I have to change so which is best for the BB .. o2 or Orange ?

Kev
    05-31-08 01:57 PM
    Hi kev
    I'm picking up my blackbery today from orange purely because its unlimited (supposedly but really 250mb) for 7:50 a month and they are doing a 150 credit on your account on certain handsets and priceplans. SO might be worth checking out. Bit gutted they dont offer the wifi bolt on that 02 do though.
    06-01-08 05:21 AM
    Mmmmmmm I'd be interested to see if you do get the �100-�150 credit, looking in yesterday paper (yeah I know ) it suggests that deal ended on 31/05 ? The orange sales guy suggested that WiFi was included as I specifically asked?

Let me know how you get on ?

Kev
    06-01-08 05:28 AM
    Another thing to check is coverage, Orange cover isn't as good as 02
    Even if orange give you the best deal around it isn't much use if you can't use the phone in a lot of areas.....I'm 5 miles outside a big city in Scotland & Orange cover is virtually non-existant here....so 02 wins purely for that.
    06-02-08 07:45 AM
    Hey there,
    I'm an Orange bird (been with then on contract+PAYG for 10yrs)and have just got my 1st BaBy8320. I decided not to go for the BB bolt-on jobby as I'm a casual social user who can access emails etc with wifi(the main reason I got BB) but Orange have the cheapest bolt-on at �7.50 whilst the others are all �10 or more.

The coverage is great,even out in the sticks (where I am at the moment) I've lived all over the country and have never had a problem like friends on other providers (inc o2).

Be careful with cashback, credit or free gift deals as its been in the news of late that there have been lots of rip-offs and stuff going on with that sort of thing. Plus they tend to offer higher monthly rates so eventually they recoop the cost of your freebie somehow.
    I tend to be a cynical old cow and live by the addage that 'if it looks too good to be true, then it normally is',but that's just me.

Good luck with it all and enjoy,
    Bx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 09:58 PM
    Hi All,

Brand new to CrackBerry just like to say it's a mine of info !

I'm about to buy my 1st BB and have picked the 8120 .. but at a loss on provider, I'm already an o2 customer but have a sim only deal they can't add the BB bolt on to so I have to change so which is best for the BB .. o2 or Orange ?

Kev
    Hi not sur who you spoke to at O2 but they are tellin you load of blox !!

THe online SIM CANT get BB Bolt on ... how do I know ... because I have it ... and so does my wife .... on both our 8300 Curves.

They will offer to transfer your account to a suitable one, and you will probably find that it costs that elusive �5 a month you are saving with the online account.

The O" "Unlimited" BB tariff is 8.51 per month +VAT and comes with an "unlimited" 200Mb acceptable usage limit !!! Go figure that one !

However, with 3 email accounts, and a crackberry addiction, I have yet to even get a warning or be charged anything extra.

Oh ... and for the record ... O2 in East Scotland has been down for 24 hours now !!! Very sporadic GSM only connection. So I am getting well peed off !!

Just my 2p worth !
    06-03-08 02:29 AM
    Another thing to check is coverage, Orange cover isn't as good as 02
    Even if orange give you the best deal around it isn't much use if you can't use the phone in a lot of areas.....I'm 5 miles outside a big city in Scotland & Orange cover is virtually non-existant here....so 02 wins purely for that.
    Indeed ... I agree .... O2 wins hands down on coverage in Scotland IMO ... I have tried Vodafone, Orange, Tmo ... and even Tesco (BT Cellnet) and every time ... O2 wins .... well until I moved house into a blooming valley in a hole ...

But for coverage and reliability (excluding previous post) then O" is the winner, and most cost effective in the long run with their free treats every month !!

600 minutes and 1000 texts and BB unlimited bolt on for �45 a month at the moment.

P.S. No I dont work for O2 ... I run my both my own companies.
    06-03-08 02:32 AM
    You can have the bolt on added to a simplicity sim, I have it!

For the 8120 is is worth bearing in mind that Orange has UMA which means free calls & BIS over wifi. Service can be erratic though as UMA is fairly new to the uk.

06-03-08 02:42 AM
    Thanks All .. The 'upto' �150 cash back does exist but after getting a few differing quotes as to how much I would/wouldn't automatically receive (�25, �75 and �100) against a BB put me off using an Orange shop. The high street stores are clearly on the make or don't understand their own products and frankly I won't give them the satisfaction of having ripped me off

I have a 6 year old contract O2 sim that I can't upgrade, 200mins/650msgs and unlimited WAP for �9.77 inc VAT and despite chatting with the O2 disconnections people they are unable to add any data tariff to it and they want to upgrade me ... .... so looks like my lad will have that as it's cheaper than his PAYG and I'll have an Orange BB 8120 on a new tariff as from tomorrow after I decided to order from the Orange Store online.

On the subject of WiFi Orange do include WiFi access so the question has to be ... can I use it on Virgin trains/McDonalds etc or will I have to pay extra ?

Kev
    06-03-08 12:50 PM
    I have a 6 year old contract O2 sim that I can't upgrade, 200mins/650msgs and unlimited WAP for �9.77 inc VAT and despite chatting with the O2 disconnections people they are unable to add any data tariff to it and they want to upgrade me ... ....
    Why not just open a new data tarriff contract/deal & just get them to transfer your number ?
    06-04-08 04:43 AM
    O2 uk now have a free BB bolt on on certain voice tariffs for new customers.

O2 adds BlackBerry Unlimited bolt-on - Mobile News

06-04-08 09:49 AM
    I rang o2 to check today and my tariff is still not upgradeable "it don't do bolt on's"

I now have a sparkly new pearl on Orange, 1st day out and very pleased
    06-05-08 04:42 PM
    ring customer services of o2 and orange u will see who's better o2 is excesive usage now not capped at 200 meg nomore orange have mad coverage like high coverage area in the middle of nowhere, but basically all providers are the same its just the lil things
    06-07-08 06:15 PM
    Indeed ... I agree .... O2 wins hands down on coverage in Scotland IMO ... I have tried Vodafone, Orange, Tmo ... and even Tesco (BT Cellnet) and every time ... O2 wins .... well until I moved house into a blooming valley in a hole ...

But for coverage and reliability (excluding previous post) then O" is the winner, and most cost effective in the long run with their free treats every month !!

600 minutes and 1000 texts and BB unlimited bolt on for �45 a month at the moment.

P.S. No I dont work for O2 ... I run my both my own companies.
    PMSL Owho ???

�40 a month on Orange

Panther 45

1200 mins 500 texts & choice of unlimited* Orange calls, texts or UK 01/02/03 landlines ( great for international calling with 18185.co.uk ) + unlimited mobile internet & magic number, Premier
    ( no menu options, straight to human ) customer care

add BIS for �7.50 & I'm sure you'll agree Orange wins

* unlimited = FUP of 3000 units
    07-04-08 01:51 PM
    O2 have had better BB tariffs than orange for a long long time. Orange have just woken up

Agreed orange's new deals are good but as you have heard coverage is not that great for some areas. I am unlikely to move to Orange.

Orange's BIS is �11.75 for 12 months, �7.50 for 18 months & �5 for 24 months.

BTW has orange's website been updated? I found the new unlimited tariff, I think, and underneath it says fair use policy 250mb. This may be the previous tariff though.

07-05-08 05:25 AM
    About time Orange have taken the blinkers off as they have the best coverage in my part of the world, with 3G signal where others struggle with a signal at all. Will definitely be looking at them when the Bold arrives.
    07-05-08 07:38 AM
    O2 have had better BB tariffs than orange for a long long time. Orange have just woken up

Agreed orange's new deals are good but as you have heard coverage is not that great for some areas. I am unlikely to move to Orange.

Orange's BIS is �11.75 for 12 months, �7.50 for 18 months & �5 for 24 months.

BTW has orange's website been updated? I found the new unlimited tariff, I think, and underneath it says fair use policy 250mb. This may be the previous tariff though.

correct its old - 250MB was the �7.50 offer for business customers & the free unlimited internet bundle avail to Panther customers

250MB applies to the BB BIS allowance, the unlimited is approx 500MB internally but nowhere is it public, that said ALL Orange unlimited offers have FUP of 3000 mins or texts, there are accounts that regulary send 15,000 texts and no-one bats an eyelid
    07-05-08 02:44 PM
    Bold is not confirmed, I have an upgrade in 5 months so hoping I can get a 3g Pearl then my ( telecom ) life is complete.....

Had my 8120 since Wed it crashed last night ( error 200 ) got up today & within 2 hrs of faffing about online I had installed a newer Orange version of the OS than what was shipped with & my Internet Browser is just renamed from BB Browser & I can access mobile.blackberry.com now

What other mobile company LEGALLY lets flash directly @ home ?

NONE, no down time while away for repair
    07-05-08 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD