At&t is out of their minds!!!

Can't wait for the iphone to come to Verizon... Not that I'm getting the IPhone
    Just so that AT&T doesn't have it!

That's the only reason people use att.. Without the iphone, att would be even below T MO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 05:30 PM
    That's a lot of money for a deposit. Your credit score must be in the teens!!!
    Last edited by acecommander; 01-19-10 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    01-19-10 07:16 PM
    That $800 deposit is usually reserved for people who had at&t at one point and cancelled an account and it was sent to collections. Normal credit deposits are: $150, $300, $500, $750, and if you choose not to give your SSN for a credit check $1000. I agree that they're wickedly high, but unfortunately that's how they like to play the game.
    01-19-10 07:17 PM
    I did cancel a cingular account ... Long time ago in 2003

Maybe that's the reason...

01-19-10 07:39 PM
    That's prolly your answer right there then. They keep track of that like noone's business. And AFTER the account is paid off to the collections agent, that $800 depo will stick for TWO years.
    01-19-10 08:17 PM
    But still... 800??? Greedy companies got penny pinch eat customer

01-20-10 03:17 AM
    But still... 800??? Greedy companies got penny pinch eat customer

it's a deposit, not a payment.
    01-20-10 05:43 AM
    I did cancel a cingular account ... Long time ago in 2003

Maybe that's the reason...

Did you pay the final bill?
    01-20-10 06:32 AM
    At&t is out of their minds!!!

Can't wait for the iphone to come to Verizon... Not that I'm getting the IPhone
    Just so that AT&T doesn't have it!

That's the only reason people use att.. Without the iphone, att would be even below T MO

let me get this straight, you applied for an AT&T acct for the iPHONE just cuz you dont want the iPHONE and just want to complain about how much they are going to charge you...whats wrong with this picture?(rhetorical lol)..those deposits are credit based only....your credit score must be like a 2 lol....gotta do better lol *dead*.....and since the only reason people use AT&T is for iPHONE i wonder how they survived b4 it, or where all the other millions of customers come form, hmmmmm
    01-20-10 10:10 AM
    Maybe this thread should be retitled to:
    800 Dollar deposit for AT&T ... just for Bad Credit!
    01-20-10 01:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure AT&T is already below T-Mobile and even Sprint. They're constantly being rated as the worst carrier of the big 4 in the US (check Consumer Reports).

If you wanna bring the entire world into this, T-Mobile is the 6th best carrier on the planet while Verizon and AT&T aren't even in the top ten.

Concerning the security deposits, that's just another reason why I don't wanna switch carriers.
    you seriously want to tell me that t-mobile is better then verizon and at&t maybe in another country but not here in the usa I have proof in 5 states my friend has a t-mobile blackberry for work and that thing has bad reception at times in all the places we have been. While I think verizon is better over at&t I haven't had a single issue with at&t and losing signal and im rarely out of 3g. I was also with verizon for 6 years and the only place I didnt have reception was my house which is why I switched
    01-20-10 06:49 PM
    you seriously want to tell me that t-mobile is better then verizon and at&t maybe in another country but not here in the usa I have proof in 5 states my friend has a t-mobile blackberry for work and that thing has bad reception at times in all the places we have been.
    Not every carrier is for everyone. All carriers have their strengths and weaknesses. But you are arguing against fact and logic and that you are, you lose this debate.

Fact: T-Mobile is the 6th largest carrier on the planet and neither Verizon or AT&T are in the top 10. This is a fact and it is not open to debate.

Fact: AT&T is consistently rated as the worst carrier in the USA by Consumer Reports. AT&T seems to earn this designation year in and year out. This is a fact and it is not open to debate. Interestingly, even CNet all but called AT&T's network a joke about two weeks ago. AT&T hardly has a stunning record as a carrier.

Now if AT&T works for you, that's all that matters and if you are happy with them, great. But please let's not pretend that facts aren't facts and the facts are that AT&T has plenty of problems.
    01-20-10 08:45 PM
    Fact and not open for debate? prove Verizon isn't in the top 10
    show us where that is written.
    I don't believe it

I was with Verizon when it was AIRTOUCH so that tells you how long I have been with them. Verizon is the best
    01-20-10 10:00 PM
    Fact: T-Mobile is the 6th largest carrier on the planet and neither Verizon or AT&T are in the top 10. This is a fact and it is not open to debate.
    Of course, that is because neither VZW nor AT&T operate outside of the USA. T-Mobile is a relatively small carrier here in the USA, but they are the largest carrier in their home country Germany. Neither VZW nor AT&T operate in Europe.

VZW is the largest carrier in the USA. American customers need to pick the best carrier in the USA. A carrier that is great in Europe might not be here in the USA.

The statistic you gave is worldwide. One cannot compare carriers that operate in many countries to those that operate only in one country. The USA is big, but not big enough in terms of all countries in the world.
    01-20-10 11:19 PM
    Of course, that is because neither VZW nor AT&T operate outside of the USA. T-Mobile is a relatively small carrier here in the USA, but they are the largest carrier in their home country Germany. Neither VZW nor AT&T operate in Europe.

VZW is the largest carrier in the USA. American customers need to pick the best carrier in the USA. A carrier that is great in Europe might not be here in the USA.

The statistic you gave is worldwide. One cannot compare carriers that operate in many countries to those that operate only in one country. The USA is big, but not big enough in terms of all countries in the world.
    And one could argue that, since VZW is partially owned by Vodafone, they are the third largest carrier in the world. I think China Mobile and Telefonica are #1/#2 with Vodafone at #3.

Anyway, to the OP ... if the charge is because of bad credit, good luck if the iPhone goes to VZW. They'd charge you a hefty deposit, too. If it's because of an unpaid final bill when you closed your original account, the only person to blame is yourself. I don't like to side with big companies, but if you didn't pay your bill, it's your own fault.
    01-21-10 08:16 AM
    Fact and not open for debate? prove Verizon isn't in the top 10
    show us where that is written.
    I don't believe it
    Wikipedia. Look into it.

BTW, calling someone a liar isn't exactly getting off on the right foot.
    01-21-10 11:56 AM
    Of course, that is because neither VZW nor AT&T operate outside of the USA
    Yet AT&T *CLAIM* they operate the biggest network in the world and *CLAIM* they have more service globally than anyone else.

Can't have it both ways friend.

T-Mobile is a relatively small carrier here in the USA, but they are the largest carrier in their home country Germany.
    They are also a much larger overall mobile carrier than either AT&T or Verizon. And if you only wish to focus on the USA, T-Mobile has 34 million subscribers (hardly small) while AT&T has 80 million. AT&T larger? Ok. But as you wish to point out, larger isn't better. We'll see in a moment an interesting statistic about that "better" part. Follow along.

Neither VZW nor AT&T operate in Europe.
    Yet AT&T *CLAIM* they do.

Perhaps. I actually think Verizon is not a bad carrier. Certainly Verizon is head and shoulders above AT&T but then again, which carrier isn't head and shoulders above AT&T? While we're on this topic, let's laser in on this "who's better" issue. When Consumer Reports evaluates all carriers operating in the USA and consistently rates AT&T as the worst carrier operating in the USA year in and year out, that says quite a lot.
    01-21-10 12:05 PM
    And one could argue that, since VZW is partially owned by Vodafone, they are the third largest carrier in the world. I think China Mobile and Telefonica are #1/#2 with Vodafone at #3.
    I'd love if Vodafone totally bought out Verizon and offered Vodafone branded GSM service in the United States.

But having a minority interest in a carrier does not give you operating control or make them a subsidiary operation of your company.

Verizon might be partially owned by Vodafone but the day-to-day decisions are made in Manhattan, not Newbury, England.
    01-21-10 01:45 PM
    The value perception of phones has been distorted by the phone companies' pricing plans and discounts. Most people get $300-800 dollar phones for under $200 and down to free. And then they treat it accordingly....

$800 deposit makes VZW's $350 ETF seem like a bargain.

I'd love if Vodafone totally bought out Verizon and offered Vodafone branded GSM service in the United States.
    And they are going to provide this GSM service from Verizon's CDMA equipment and towers?
    01-21-10 02:11 PM
    And they are going to provide this GSM service from Verizon's CDMA equipment and towers?
    LOL. That was my point.

Mr. McDonald was suggesting that because Vodafone own a minority interest in Verizon, that the operations of Vodafone and Verizon should somehow be considered one. Of course they are not. Vodafone and Verizon are separate companies. And are operated as such.

My shares of any stock in any given company don't give me controlling interest in any company nor do they allow me to claim that any company is a subsidiary of any company I own until perhaps I own over 50% of said stock and have board control.

Vodafone doesn't own 50% of Verizon nor do they have board control of Verizon.

Verizon is simply an investment of Vodafone's at this point in time. And claiming that the combined operations of Vodafone and Verizon should be linked makes no sense.
    01-21-10 02:30 PM
    Yet AT&T *CLAIM* they operate the biggest network in the world and *CLAIM* they have more service globally than anyone else.

Can't have it both ways friend.

They are also a much larger overall mobile carrier than either AT&T or Verizon. And if you only wish to focus on the USA, T-Mobile has 34 million subscribers (hardly small) while AT&T has 80 million. AT&T larger? Ok. But as you wish to point out, larger isn't better. We'll see in a moment an interesting statistic about that "better" part. Follow along.

Yet AT&T *CLAIM* they do.

Perhaps. I actually think Verizon is not a bad carrier. Certainly Verizon is head and shoulders above AT&T but then again, which carrier isn't head and shoulders above AT&T? While we're on this topic, let's laser in on this "who's better" issue. When Consumer Reports evaluates all carriers operating in the USA and consistently rates AT&T as the worst carrier operating in the USA year in and year out, that says quite a lot.
    I never said I believed that AT&T operates the biggest network in the world, nor did I say I believed that they have more service globally than anyone else. Any GSM carrier is going to have global service through roaming or customers unlocking their devices and using other carriers' SIM cards. Naturally, fewer VZW and Sprint devices would be able to get worldwide coverage compared to AT&T or T-Mobile devices. After all, most of the CDMA devices do not have SIM cards.

VZW does have the highest ratings. IP Carrier: Verizon Ranked First in Consumer Reports’ "Best Wireless" Service Survey
    01-21-10 06:00 PM
    Back to the OP, all carriers are going to run a credit check. If you have bad credit because you didn't pay your bill, you are going to have to put up a large deposit if you choose VZW, Sprint, or T-Mobile. Your credit report is not going to make you any more attractive as a potential customer of any carrier.
    01-21-10 06:07 PM
    I never said I believed that AT&T operates the biggest network in the world
    Splitting hairs here. You insinuated that T-Mobile's larger footprint as a carrier was unimportant because AT&T doesn't have operations overseas.

I pointed out that one of AT&T's big claims is that they are the largest operator globally and that your point and their claims seem to be at odds.

You also overlooked my point that AT&T is consistently rated as the worst carrier in the USA.

Again, if using any carrier works for you, that's great. But we can't overlook the facts and the facts are that T-Mobile is a much larger mobile carrier than AT&T and AT&T's ratings, at least by Consumer Reports, are pretty bad.
    01-21-10 06:19 PM
    Can someone explain to me how a thread about a deposit morphed into
    a which carrier is better, has the largest footprint argument.

Out of respect for the OP can you all agree to disagree and let this thread
    get back to it's original purpose.
    01-21-10 07:09 PM
    $800 deposit makes VZW's $350 ETF seem like a bargain.
    It's a deposit. So if he did pony up the $800, at least he'd get it back if he paid his bill on time, every time for a year.

Back to the OP, all carriers are going to run a credit check. If you have bad credit because you didn't pay your bill, you are going to have to put up a large deposit if you choose VZW, Sprint, or T-Mobile. Your credit report is not going to make you any more attractive as a potential customer of any carrier.
    Well.. Sprint has pretty "relaxed" credit requirements, so it wouldn't be nearly as high. Probably around $150. T-mobile doesn't do deposits, they would simply approve the OP for flexpay (Fancy prepaid) only. VZW would be similarly high as AT&T.
    Last edited by bp3dots; 01-22-10 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I fail at multiple quotes
    01-22-10 07:24 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD