Right now they are claiming it is for Android phones only, but I'm sure it can be added to your blackberry plan
    06-02-09 11:57 AM
    Really? I'd love to have a 6GB plan...
    06-02-09 12:36 PM
    It'll most likely be a generic data plan without BIS support, however the APN3CON SOC code should still work on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 12:42 PM
    Imo... I haven't used more than 500 mb a month.

It's almost impossible to exceed 6 gb..

06-02-09 12:49 PM
    Well for the summer, I won't have internet access at home, so tethering will be my best option for what i want to do for the summer time, so this would be a great add on, and yes use the APN3CON and then get the data plan
    06-02-09 12:57 PM
    Well for the summer, I won't have internet access at home, so tethering will be my best option for what i want to do for the summer time, so this would be a great add on, and yes use the APN3CON and then get the data plan
    Where you able to get that plan? I called now and they said it's "promotional" only for the HTCs only.
    06-02-09 12:59 PM
    Where you able to get that plan? I called now and they said it's "promotional" only for the HTCs only.
    I haven't tried yet, I'm going to try on my billing cycle on June 13th.

Over at Howard Forums, the best way to get it, is to talk to retentions apparently and one guy had to call 4 times before it was given to him
    06-02-09 01:02 PM
    It'll most likely be a generic data plan without BIS support, however the APN3CON SOC code should still work on it.

can u please clarify what that code is? i would love to get my 6gb plan back. i use to have it on iphone and when i switched back to BB they didnt let me keep it
    06-02-09 01:10 PM
    can u please clarify what that code is? i would love to get my 6gb plan back. i use to have it on iphone and when i switched back to BB they didnt let me keep it
    Its the soc code to all it to be used with blackberry's

06-02-09 01:47 PM
    and i wont get screwed over for using it?
    06-02-09 01:56 PM
    and i wont get screwed over for using it?
    Not that I have read anywhere. Its all good to use once you have the SOC Code in
    06-02-09 02:19 PM
    I recently (as in last week) went from the iPhone to the Blackberry Bold. I was told that I could not keep my 6GB data plan, so I spoke to customer care and told them to add the soc code to my account. The rep was surprised to know that I knew of any soc codes, and was very impressed. He did it right there for me. To confirm, I asked him if it would work for the blackberry and he said yes.

The soc code does work and I have had no problems with rogers about it. There was just no way I was gonna pay $30/month for only 500MB - 1GB when I currently have the 6GB plan.

You all should be fine with adding the code. Try to talk to Customer Care if it doesn`t work for you in any other department.
    06-02-09 02:21 PM
    A slightly simplified explanation:

Rogers has two types of data plans. The first type, the generic plans such as this 6GB promotional plan, send data directly to Rogers' servers. In economic terms, they are pure profit for Rogers as all they must provide are data services (read: bandwidth).

The second type, Blackberry GPRS data accounts, the ones that are used by Blackberry devices, are les profitable for Rogers because on top of providing the base network bandwidth that they provide in the generic plans, they also have to pay RIM a flat fee (somewhere around $8/month per account) for BIS access to RIM's servers.

APN3CON is a specified service code which, when applied to an account, forces a data connection through RIM, making any data plan of the first sort into the second sort: effectively granting BIS to a generic data plan.

This decreases Rogers' revenues on your account which is why it may be hard to find a CSR willing to add it. You will most likely be told anything from "it violates Rogers policy" to "there is no way to do this," etc.

Hope this carifies things a little.

06-02-09 07:02 PM
    I just called in today and they were able to do it for me as soon as I gave them the SOC code, thanks everyone !!!
    06-18-09 07:04 PM
    so is the SOC a specific code and where can one find it or is it just APN3CON??

thanks
    06-23-09 01:19 AM
    There is now a blackberry specific 6GB/$30 promo that is going until July 31st, just tell them you want that, and they will add it, you dont need to worry about the SOC code anymore
    06-23-09 11:31 AM
    I currently have the 6GB plan but I do have a question regarding using WAP. I have gone to
    youtube and watched some videos but in order to play them I have to use WAP. Will I be
    Charge extra for this?

06-30-09 10:13 PM
    you should be fine cause you are essentially still using the browser on the phone, if you do get charged you can always call billing and have them reverse it based on having the data package.
    07-01-09 10:22 PM
    does rogers have the 6gb for $30 advertised on their site? I cant seem to find it anywhere
    07-01-09 10:38 PM
    does the 6gb have vm and caller id and stuff? is it like the $35 bb plan or is it just 6gb and thats it?
    07-01-09 10:49 PM
    no way how come
    07-01-09 10:49 PM
    Deffo going to look into this! Thanks for the headsup!

I bet the 6G/$30 is on top of a voice plan, right?
    07-01-09 10:59 PM
    The 6GB for $30 is DATA ONLY. There are no other features with it.
    You will also require a voice plan of some sort, and if you want call display, VM, or texting, you would be best to add the $20 VP on top of all of that.
    07-01-09 11:12 PM
    EDIT: Alright, I am now on the BlackBerry 6GB Data Plan. Until I upgraded to the BlackBerry I have never had to call Rogers for anything, honestly. Is it common to make 3 calls to change from the incorrectly added data plan to the correct plan? Or change features in general? Not complaining, just wondering in case I have to call them regarding anything else in the future, I work for a call center myself (No, not Rogers.), mistakes can happen.

My concern at this moment is that with mistakes, I had a three-year agreement to have the original incorrect data plan, then was changed to the same incorrect generic plan with a new agreement. (yes, it my agreement is now set to expire one day later than originally), and then changed yet again on the same day to the BlackBerry specific one (Still set for the same expiry date), is it possible I will be incorrectly charged Data ETF for cancelling the original feature?

So the 6GB plan has a BlackBerry specific option, correct? Until the 31st? I just got the Bold yesterday via Upgrade, and it seems the sales rep put the generic one on, as it says I am not connected to BiS.

I have called Rogers twice, the first time the data rep said that I had to talk to customer care when they open.

I called back a few hours later, and the rep said it wasn't available for the BlackBerry Bold, but put me on hold and when he came back he he found the BlackBerry one and said he changed it for me, but I just logged in to my Rogers account online and there is no mention of BiS service under my essential features, and my phone still is not connected to BiS, and it says that the plan was added today, so it seems the rep put the same generic plan back on?
    Last edited by Zarger; 07-30-09 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Additional information
    07-30-09 04:06 PM
    There are a lot of posts in this topic so I'm sorry if I repeat something that's already been said but there is no need to get the 6GB plan for your Blackberry, especially with a Bold. The 6GB plan is mostly geared towards the iPhone users since they would stream lots of videos and stuff, mostly via youtube or stream audio from music sites. Even in my most intense month of getting emails and browsing the web, when I called customer service to find out my usage it was only 43MB. I was shocked but this is due to the way Blackberry phones compress data which is good. Majority of BB users would do just fine with the 500MB plan.

07-30-09 07:00 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD