I have had an 8520 for a little over a month and didn't have any problems with it until 4 days ago. Suddenly, my reception at home is only 1-3 bars and I can't make outgoing calls. I have to try calling repeatedly, and before the call connects there's a fast busy signal with the "Call Failed" message. If and when I do finally connect the call, I can only stay connected for ~2 minutes before it drops the call and the "Call Failed" message pops up again.

Before this phone, I had an 8320 and never had this problem. Outside the house, the phone is fine as well. It's just INSIDE my house that I can't make outgoing calls anymore. Why is this suddenly happening? It has rendered my phone useless, as I don't make phone calls anywhere else.

I've called TMobile multiple times and have taken all their advice- battery pull, they've tweaked things on their end, etc. My coverage is supposed to be 4 bars in my area. I've made sure to turn wifi off during calls so it doesn't interfere, but it is still the same problem. Finally, I just had to use wifi only to make some important calls. This is getting ridiculous, though. What's the point of a phone if you can't use it in your own house?

Thoughts, suggestions?
    11-19-09 10:50 AM
    What's the problem using UMA? That would seem to be a solution. I don't know how hand-offs are handled (UMA to Cell) if you leave the house while on a call though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 10:55 AM
    I don't understand why you'd turn your wifi off. ??? It doesn't cost more or use your minutes differently if you use wifi (unless you have unlimited hotspot calling). Wifi just ensures a stronger signal.
    Have you changed your OS recently?

11-19-09 11:25 AM
    I usually have the wifi turned on, but it is a known issue that calls can be dropped when the network switches from EDGE to wifi during a call. I had turned it off to test it in case that was the problem. You're right, I COULD use wifi, but my router is not very reliable and I still get dropped calls. If I live in a 5-bar neighborhood, why shouldn't I have the option to use the T-Mobile network? It's a big problem to me if I don't have that option, especially for $80 a month.

Elle, I have not changed my OS. I just bought this 8520 a month ago... would it help to check for an update?
    11-19-09 11:39 AM
    Possibly. Worth a try.
    My old 8320 dropped calls all the time (always @ 20 min into a call). I was told it was the old SIM, replaced that but still dropped calls. I thought it might be my old router, I replaced that and still dropped calls. I didn't make a ton of calls so it wasn't a huge issue but then I got an 8900 I gave my husband the 8320 and he talks on the phone a lot. He was getting so frustrated. I recently upgraded his OS and the dropped calls have stopped!
    Since the 8520 is a newer device, there may not be an official software update yet. And while I have beta OS on my bb, I wouldn't recommend trying to install one unless you're prepared to deal with the possibility of bigger problems.
    Yes, you should definitely have the option to use the network you pay for! I do think its strange that you've suddenly had a change in the coverage @your house.

11-19-09 12:21 PM
    20 minutes sounds luxurious... IF I can even get the call to connect, I can stay on for 2 minutes, tops.

I don't think there's an update to this 8520 yet, either, but where would I look just in case there is??

Thanks.
    11-19-09 03:22 PM
    If you hook up your BB to Desktop Manager it'll tell you if there are any updates. I think you can find out the official OS by logging into mytmo.com. There's a 5.0 beta out for the 8520 so maybe the official one will be out soon. If there's nothing wrong with the towers in your area, I'm thinking your phone is defective.
    Good luck!

11-19-09 06:38 PM
    I usually have the wifi turned on, but it is a known issue that calls can be dropped when the network switches from EDGE to wifi during a call. I had turned it off to test it in case that was the problem. You're right, I COULD use wifi, but my router is not very reliable and I still get dropped calls. If I live in a 5-bar neighborhood, why shouldn't I have the option to use the T-Mobile network? It's a big problem to me if I don't have that option, especially for $80 a month.
    Have you tired editing your WiFi profile for your router (on the phone?)

When you get to the router name you are connecting to, highlight and press the menu key.

Scroll down to edit and click
    Scroll down to where you will see Allow inter-access point handover
    And make sure this is checked
    Save and back out to main phone desktop
    test to see if Wifi connections flake out while moving around the house between Wifi and Edge.

Also make sure in the Mobile Network settings that you don't have Wifi Preferred, if you actually want Mobile Network Preferred or Mobile Network Only, as your main setting over Wifi while at home.

If this does not help, it might be a good idea to exchange the device and see if a new one fixes the "at home" reception problem.
    11-19-09 07:10 PM
    Have you tired editing your WiFi profile for your router (on the phone?)

When you get to the router name you are connecting to, highlight and press the menu key.

Scroll down to edit and click
    Scroll down to where you will see Allow inter-access point handover
    And make sure this is checked
    Save and back out to main phone desktop
    test to see if Wifi connections flake out while moving around the house between Wifi and Edge.

Also make sure in the Mobile Network settings that you don't have Wifi Preferred, if you actually want Mobile Network Preferred or Mobile Network Only, as your main setting over Wifi while at home.

If this does not help, it might be a good idea to exchange the device and see if a new one fixes the "at home" reception problem.
    I've done every combination you can think of with Wifi/Mobile network. Literally. Network preferred, network only, wifi preferred, wifi only... manual network, automatic network.

I've deleted my email accounts on the handheld thinking they were taking too much memory. Soft reset, hard reset. It seems every place by my room is a dead zone and I DON'T KNOW WHY. I have lived here for 7 months and this wasn't a problem until a week ago. I cannot call out at all without repeated "Call Failed". If the problem doesn't correct itself by tomorrow, I'm changing carriers. Shame, because I've been with TMobile for 3 years and have never had a problem until now, but the customer service kids are absolutely worthless.

I would try changing in my handheld, but I dont have insurance on it. It that a factor? The store was so busy when I bought it that the salesman waved me off and told me to worry about it later. A month later and here I am, worrying about it....
    11-22-09 01:53 AM
    If the problem doesn't correct itself by tomorrow, I'm changing carriers. Shame, because I've been with TMobile for 3 years and have never had a problem until now, but the customer service kids are absolutely worthless.

I would try changing in my handheld, but I dont have insurance on it. It that a factor? The store was so busy when I bought it that the salesman waved me off and told me to worry about it later. A month later and here I am, worrying about it....
    Two things. First, what resolution are you looking for from customer care? Why exactly are they worthless? Because they can't tell you why your service changed?

Secondly, are you talking about getting another of the same phone? Or a completely different model? If BB support deems your phone to be defective, they will replace it with another of the same under manufacturer's warranty. If you're talking about getting a different model entirely, insurance wouldn't be able to help with that. That's garbage that the salesman waved you off without addressing your concerns. If you want to add insurance you may be able to get the 14 day window over-ridden if you can show a store manager that the phone is not damaged and explain that you wanted it added originally.
    11-22-09 05:40 PM
    Two things. First, what resolution are you looking for from customer care? Why exactly are they worthless? Because they can't tell you why your service changed?

Secondly, are you talking about getting another of the same phone? Or a completely different model? If BB support deems your phone to be defective, they will replace it with another of the same under manufacturer's warranty. If you're talking about getting a different model entirely, insurance wouldn't be able to help with that. That's garbage that the salesman waved you off without addressing your concerns. If you want to add insurance you may be able to get the 14 day window over-ridden if you can show a store manager that the phone is not damaged and explain that you wanted it added originally.
    Sorry, I let my frustration get the best of me. When I say "worthless" I just mean I haven't gotten anywhere the first 100 times I called them and they said they "think" they fixed it. It's obvious that they all follow a script and I wish I could speak to someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

The last time I called, a guy told me that there was a service notice issued on my tower, so it's a tower problem. BUT, he also said there was no finish date listed, so who know when that'll be taken care of. I guess the problem is on T-Mobile's end. I can make calls fine everywhere but my home, so it makes sense that it has to do with a tower. Does anyone know generally how long these things take? It has been a week and a day so far.

I was going to switch to Verizon because I work from my phone and I HAVE to be able to make calls at home, but Verizon's phone plans are so unattractive to me. I really, really like T-Mobile, but have been running into huge problems with them recently. So you're saying if I request another phone of the same model and I don't have insurance on this, it shouldn't be a problem?
    11-23-09 10:52 AM
    I've done every combination you can think of with Wifi/Mobile network. Literally. Network preferred, network only, wifi preferred, wifi only... manual network, automatic network.
    Yes but did you in fact check if the Allow inter-access point handover option was checked? I noticed on a friends phone, even after checking it, he still needed to do a battery pull to make this actually work and he was using a UMA enabled Nokia. Since tuning the feature on, EDGE and Wifi no longer battle on his phone and the hand of in and out of WIFI range has not dropped a call for him since and that was well over a year ago, after having the problem for months.

You are exchanging the phone which may be defective, it is still under the first 12 months warranty, has nothing to do with insurance.

Trust me, if I have stood in line to be waited on, no matter what sort of store it is, I would have been the last person that got waved off that day. When grumpy, even as nice as I normally am, I can clear a building, once I was the only one there I would had asked if he had time to check now?
    11-23-09 01:32 PM
    Yes but did you in fact check if the Allow inter-access point handover option was checked? I noticed on a friends phone, even after checking it, he still needed to do a battery pull to make this actually work and he was using a UMA enabled Nokia. Since tuning the feature on, EDGE and Wifi no longer battle on his phone and the hand of in and out of WIFI range has not dropped a call for him since and that was well over a year ago, after having the problem for months.

You are exchanging the phone which may be defective, it is still under the first 12 months warranty, has nothing to do with insurance.

Trust me, if I have stood in line to be waited on, no matter what sort of store it is, I would have been the last person that got waved off that day. When grumpy, even as nice as I normally am, I can clear a building, once I was the only one there I would had asked if he had time to check now?
    Excellent points Blk.......

1. Make SURE!!! you edit that profile....secondly change your router TX to channel 1/3/11........pick one......i guarantee your router is tx'ing on 6 right now.....

2. If that doesnt fix it and you have already swapped sim's dont let TMO tell you that you have to insurance replace with a 120 deductible......that phone if it was purchased from TMO should be and needs to be warranty replaced by TMO COST FREE to you!!!!.....all you need to do is keep your battery and back cover
    11-23-09 03:12 PM
    PS.......if necessary use my signature link under total consolidated and look up UMA how to....talks about the NECESSITY of changing your router FROM channel 6 which is where ALL routers are factory preset.....

To all of you who havent heard this let DADDY UMA remind all of you to change that router channel.......even if your not having problems at the least changing to a less used channel will improve your UMA coverage/range and clarity........it will immediatly however resolve dropped calls!!!!
    11-23-09 03:17 PM
    Hi BlkBear,

So I finally found what you were talking about and "Allow inter access point handover" was not checked, so I checked it. I pulled the battery and haven't yet turned it back on.

I understand that some phones have problems when bouncing back and forth from EDGE to wifi, but do you really think that could be what's causing the consistent "Call Failed" problem here? I only have this problem when I'm inside my home, no matter how many bars I have. Granted, my home is the only other place where I have UMA...

I also noticed on the TMobile forums, there are two other people in my same area (Culver City/Palms, CA) who are having the exact same problem as I am- can't stay connected to a call for longer than a minute in this area. Last I checked with Tmobile (about 20 minutes ago), they said a technician checked the tower and found nothing wrong with it. Something stinks....
    11-23-09 11:03 PM
    Ok, did what you suggested...still the same problem. Tested calling Customer Care and it was silent for about 10 seconds... then the fast busy with "Call Failed". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-23-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD