Hi everyone.
    Here is my situation.......
    I'm on VZW with an 8130 and it's dieing.
    I need a new phone and love the Tour, but it's plagued with trackball issues.
    I stopped into AT&T and looked at the 9700 and loved it.
    My concern is getting email when I travel. I travel a LOT in rural areas.
    The way I read the coverage maps with AT&T is that I will get the emails fine, but not have the fast 3G speed in as many areas as VZW.
    Does this sound about right?
    Or do you think even their slower data speed coverage is unavailable in many areas compared to VZW?
    Thank you for any input!
    11-26-09 08:26 AM
    Verizon has lots of coverage in tiny lil areas where att might not or be roaming (roaming in this case wouldn't matter since you wont pay extra). They (vzw) also have lots (more) 3G (known as 1XEV or EvDO) in more places as you've probably seen by the maps. If all you are doing is getting emails, they they aren't speed dependent so as long as you have some type of data connnection you'll be more than fine.

AT&T however has some advantages as well for areas where you do have 3G - such as simulataneous voice and data. It comes in handy sometimes when you are on a call but waiting for an important email with an address of a client or something. They also have the phone you want so as long as 80% of the places you spend your time in are covered "GOOD" to "EXCELLENT" then i say that's more than enough. Surely there might be that 1 or 2 times a year that you go somewhere and coverage sucks, but that happens with all carriers - just usually not at the same place and time.
    11-26-09 09:23 AM
    If you're happy with Verizon wait for the 9650 or check out the 8530.
    11-26-09 10:32 AM
    Get the 9700 beautiful phone. 3G is just faster then 2G and can do more stuff like voice/data at the same time. You will do emails fine on 2G no problem. I have been hearing great things lately in the last month that AT&T got NYC working way better now, and SF/Bay area on 3G. There is also something I learned about that some AT&T sim cards have been found lately to be faulty. I have the information on this and will post another thread about it really soon. Check after you see this, anyone with 3G/2G selection band problems please look at it, because it might fix your problem. I hope it does but I would try the 9700 and see how you like it.
    11-26-09 04:35 PM
    I live in rural Arkansas, I have been through many rural areas with both Alltel/Verizon and AT&T, trust me, its not even a matter of competition, Verizon murders them in rural areas. AT&T's coverage maps are very deceptive. Also, yes those maps are correct, Verizon has a crap load more 3G than AT&T too.
    11-26-09 06:35 PM
    I live in rural Arkansas, I have been through many rural areas with both Alltel/Verizon and AT&T, trust me, its not even a matter of competition, Verizon murders them in rural areas. AT&T's coverage maps are very deceptive. Also, yes those maps are correct, Verizon has a crap load more 3G than AT&T too.
    OTOH all my AT&T phones will work in Europe and AT&T will unlock any phone except the iPhone.

The Tour will work in Europe, but they don't seem as eager to unlock the GSM radio. Also, with a cheap prepaid SIM and no wi-fi, you won't be getting your emails.
    12-03-09 12:30 PM
    Hi everyone.
    Here is my situation.......
    I'm on VZW with an 8130 and it's dieing.
    I need a new phone and love the Tour, but it's plagued with trackball issues.
    I stopped into AT&T and looked at the 9700 and loved it.
    My concern is getting email when I travel. I travel a LOT in rural areas.
    The way I read the coverage maps with AT&T is that I will get the emails fine, but not have the fast 3G speed in as many areas as VZW.
    Does this sound about right?
    Or do you think even their slower data speed coverage is unavailable in many areas compared to VZW?
    Thank you for any input!
    the Bold is a 3G phone

3G is a vague term, it just pretty much means third generation of speed standards, on verizon, everything is pretty much 3g, on ATT not so much.

You can have a 3g phone and it will always look for the 3g network(go to ATT.com to see your coverage map of where you will be, work, kids, whatever) then, if you lose 3g signal, it boots you down to EDGE, and then GSM

potentially, it goes ATT 3g>V 3g, and then EDGE then GSM

but yeah, you can still get emails, just slower, and you can only surf and talk while on a 3g signal, even if you have a 3g phone...without the signal, you are SOL

BUT, the Bold also has wifi, which is much faster than 3g...something your 8130 lacked anyway
    12-03-09 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD