How much data usage am I getting with a $30 data plan? Is it unlimited? How much extra does it cost to tether? Is it worth it? I tried a search but came up with zilch.
    09-04-09 12:21 AM
    Unlimited data through your smartphone for that $30. Tethering plan gives you 5GB for an extra $30.

Its worth it if you need it.

But listening to the WiFi fans here, if you have WiFi, you shouldn't need tethering. Of course, some of us know that is BS, but still...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 12:28 AM
    Wifi is great if your computer has a wifi card in it. Tethering lets you use your phone as a modem wherever your can get service. It really depends if you think its worth paying $30 a month for internet service.
    09-07-09 10:47 PM
    If you travel a lot then it's worth it. For me, I travel a good amount and I think it's worth it.
    09-08-09 02:35 AM
    I travel a lot at times but I can just use the internet where I'm at than use the BB as a modem. It can be about the same speeds anyway. Don't VZW block wifi though?
    09-08-09 02:40 AM
    I travel a lot at times but I can just use the internet where I'm at than use the BB as a modem. It can be about the same speeds anyway. Don't VZW block wifi though?
    I hope that was a joke.

09-08-09 02:42 AM
    Don't VZW block wifi though?
    VZW does not block WiFi.

09-08-09 02:45 AM
    VZW does not block WiFi.

Thats good to know. I heard that they did but I don't have a BB with wifi and I never have so I never looked into it. That clears that up.
    09-08-09 02:59 AM
    Thats good to know. I heard that they did but I don't have a BB with wifi and I never have so I never looked into it. That clears that up.
    There have been unsubstantiated rumblings about CDMA BBs and WiFi...it seems that the next generation CDMA BBs will have it, starting with the Storm II and one other that I can't remember the name or number for. With LTE around the corner for VZW, I'm guessing that this is a push by RIM.

09-08-09 04:02 AM
    I used tethering for the first time this weekend. My family bought a traveling business, and let me tell you it was nice to have the internet where ever I needed it and could not use my phone(because the website would not allow it). I thought it was well worth the 30 dollars a month along with everyone else in the family that was on the trip with me.
    09-08-09 08:02 AM
    I think of it this way, if I save $30 worth of business by never missing an email from a client, its well worth it.

09-08-09 09:31 AM
    Tethering is $30 if you have the $29.99 data package. If you have the $44.99 corporate data package your tethering cost is only $15 per month.
    09-08-09 09:33 AM
    Thats right. The total for tethering with any bb will be 60.00. Whether you have the BIS or BES you will be paying 60.00
    09-08-09 09:36 AM
    Thats right. The total for tethering with any bb will be 60.00. Whether you have the BIS or BES you will be paying 60.00
    But better then paying $90 for BIS and Broadband card and $104 for BES and broadband card.
    09-08-09 11:19 AM
    Way Better!
    09-08-09 11:21 AM
    On top of that, with tethering, you can cancel anytime, no need for ETF.
    09-08-09 11:40 AM
    True lots of people get it for several weeks while travelling and then drop it later.
    09-08-09 11:43 AM
    The only downside is that you cannot talk on the phone while surfing the web.
    09-08-09 11:56 AM
    If you are going to get tethering you might as well sign up for one of the Verizon bundles. The bundles include BES, so the extra cost is only 15 (so the same net cost). By doing this you will raise your base plan figure which will help you qualify for the higher NE2 amount. This of course ONLY works in your favor if you get tethering, because the NET cost is the same. Otherwise you are better off going piecemeal.
    09-08-09 01:30 PM
    You can also prorate tethering, I usually add it if I have to take a road trip for business and pleasure, and adding it for a short time is cheaper if you don't use it all the them, takes about 2 minutes to add it, a battery pull and a reboot on my pc then 2 minutes to remove it when I don't need it.

09-08-09 02:32 PM
    I'm going to call to add tethering this month. What do I need to instsll on my
    Pc or phone to make it happen?

09-09-09 11:44 AM
    I'm going to call to add tethering this month. What do I need to instsll on my
    Pc or phone to make it happen?

Nothing on the phone, Verizon Access Manager on the PC

VZAccess Manager
    09-09-09 12:33 PM
    I can tether and talk on the phone at the same time. Also get my text messages. Because my business is rural my phone stays connected all day at the office. My family calls me everyday with no interuption to the tethering. But I can't get on the browser of the phone or access my sd card while I am tethered.
    09-09-09 01:41 PM
    I can tether and talk on the phone at the same time. .
    .......................No
    09-09-09 01:43 PM
    What actually happens is the BB suspends the tether connection and lets you take the call, then once you hang up vzam automatically reconnects you. Try to browse on the PC while you are on the phone.
    09-09-09 01:53 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD