Summary of Investigation: Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah is currently investigating claims that Verizon Wireless (�Verizon�) has disabled the Global Positioning Services (�GPS�) functionality of certain Blackberry devices, including the Pearl 8130, 8703e, Curve 8330, and the 8830 World Edition.

Please sign up if enough evidence is gathered we will have a 2nd Class Action Lawsuit against Verizon locking GPS Feature on BB devices.

www_.sfmslaw.com/pages/cases.php?id=598

Copy and paste URL since I don't have 10 posts yet...remove the underscore
    07-16-08 03:56 PM
    Can you please explain what the big deal w the gps is? I'm just curious bc it seems lk no big deal to me - I have 8830 vzw. Maybe if it were about the disabling of mms on noncamera phones it would be worthwhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 04:07 PM
    This should help...

...All the other CDMA carriers of the 8830 didn't lock down GPS like Verizion did. Why do you think everyone with a Verizon BB is ticked?

Also, RIM did lock out GPS on the Verizon phones. It's been documented that Verizon requested this lockdown prior to them placing the order for the 8830 from RIM. RIM at first didn't want to do it, but in the end they didn't want to loose the largest BB sale in their history. Perhaps you aren't aware of all the finite details surrounding this subject (after all, you didn't even know that GPS was locked down to begin with because your phones apperently don't have this issue), but I don't think you have grounds for dismissal of certain facts when you don't know what they are. Not only that, but Verizon also sent out fully functioning 8830's to many magazine and technology Internet sites for review to gain a favorable outcome and then "bait and switched" everyone else at the cash register. Add to that the countless amount of CSRs and managers including local store reps who didn't and still don't have a correct response at to why GPS doesn't work and never did. Now Verizon has released VZNav and is "selling" everyone on the idea that this is the ONLY way GPS will work on any 8830 on the market, which is obviously absolutely not correct. Now you come along with your good info about your company and it seems to me that Verizon is digging that grave deeper and deeper every day.

I only have one thing to say in the end really.... thanks for the info.
    07-16-08 06:58 PM
    If this is an issue about false advertising it will probably be settled and all of us will receive $.02.

Otherwise, Verizon has the right to block certain features, whether for security reasons or otherwise, on equipment that they sell to be used on their network. Granted, it is predatory and pisses consumers off, but we were never forced to buy the devices from Verizon.

Believe me, I want GPS on my Curve as much as the next guy. I just don't know if a frivolous lawsuit is the best way to accomplish this.
    07-16-08 08:04 PM
    So it is for those who ddnt know gps was a feature of the phone - and paid for vznav? so if you got suckered into blowing $ for something that should be free that's the reason ppl are pissy? Well thanks - it makes sense now. Still not bothering me bc I don't care 4 gps - but others rely on it and are forced to pay if they got vzw. thanks for the info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 08:07 PM
    I think people should stop with all these lawsuits. I think that if Verizon knew that they would be sued and possibly lose, they wouldn't have crippled it, who cripples features knowing they can lose a lawsuit? If you really want GPS, go get a REAL GPS. Although the GPS on the 8830 is sort of useful, a real GPS would be better if you plan on really using it.

Also, Verizon didn't lie about GPS. There is GPS on the 8830 but in order for it to work, you have to subscribe to their service. It didn't say on the box, "Free GPS" or "You can use GPS without our software".
    07-16-08 08:07 PM
    All valid points. But my favorite aspect of class action lawsuits is that they can involve millions and millions of dollars. When it's settled, attorneys for both sides pocket millions each, and us paeons get a gift certificate for 53 cents.

I don't see lawsuit changing VZW. That will only cost them a fraction of the profit they've made off VZNav. I see market pressures changing VZW much more effectively. For instance, they're terrified of the impact the iPhone has made. I bet they're questioning their priorities - network coverage vs cool phones.
    07-16-08 08:54 PM
    verizon rep told me that the reason they dont unlock gps, is that there the BEST and they dont have to
    01-07-10 10:14 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but with all the hubbub about Verizon locking the device's GPS chip, it seems against all constitutionality. I mean, isn't the GPS functionality inherent to the hardware and not the carrier? Makes no since to me as to why the big V can even get away with this.

I should be able to load whatever map service I want on a GPS enabled unit, no matter what carrier I am on and get it to work. That said, I currently have a hybrid OS, (The only way I could get the maps icon to even show up), and when i go to start Maps, I get a pop up that says "Maps has been disabled". Thank you Verizon for negating my use of maps and anything having to do with the GPS, you big Red Droll.!!

Ah well, I'm going to see if I can trade the 8830 WE for an 8820 - Tmob edition.
    01-12-10 08:31 AM
    Summary of Investigation: Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah is currently investigating claims that Verizon Wireless (�Verizon�) has disabled the Global Positioning Services (�GPS�) functionality of certain Blackberry devices, including the Pearl 8130, 8703e, Curve 8330, and the 8830 World Edition.

Please sign up if enough evidence is gathered we will have a 2nd Class Action Lawsuit against Verizon locking GPS Feature on BB devices.

www_.sfmslaw.com/pages/cases.php?id=598

Copy and paste URL since I don't have 10 posts yet...remove the underscore
    Your link is no good, even when I remove the underscore. And, I do not see "Verizon" or "RIM" on any of the pages of their listed cases and settlements.
    01-15-10 08:32 AM
    So I don't want to start another thread since there are tons. I just want to verify that what I am reading is correct. I currently have the 8830WE for verizon. Its running their latest OS. I have GPS enabled. Vz navigator does work, and so does BB maps. If those two work, then why doesn't google maps work? I have heard that Bing works for gps.

I just get frustrated with vznav because its not very up to date. As in when I travel, and I try to locate a business, e.g. mc donalds, its directing me to go to addresses where mc d's used to be, but are no longer there. Very frustrating.

I have google maps installed. It does find my location, but its only doing it from cell phone towers, and not from satellites. So my location is not very accurate. I live in chicago now, and google has the public transit system mapped out very well.

What should i do?! I seriously don't need to purchase a GPS puck, do I?
    01-17-10 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD