I was just wondering if someone can tell me how the Tour on US Cell 1x would compare to the storm2 on Verizon 3g or a BB on AT&T 3g? Is it a big difference in speed or is it very noticeable? I recently got a Storm2 with Verizon and it runs on 3g, but I think US Cell is a little better coverage in my rural area. I am trying to decide if to take the Storm2 back within the 30 days and settle for a Tour with 1x or not. The US Cell rep told me the Duncan, OK market should be getting evdo in January 2010, but who knows.
    12-08-09 02:15 PM
    1x is 2G and would be dirt slow compared to 1XEV, which is 3G. It's like dial up vs low end DSL. It probably wouldn't matter if you're not using html email or the browser though. Texting, voice calling, text-only email and instant messaging doesn't really require much bandwidth. Just don't let anyone send you a media attachment.

Personally, I don't think I'd have much tolerance for 2G exclusively at this point, although a good 2G is better than nothing at all.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 12-08-09 at 02:34 PM.
    12-08-09 02:28 PM
    I noticed a good jump in speed when the Knoxville area bumped up to 1XEV. It really didn't make a huge difference in web browsing, but made it much easier to use Pandora and other data-intensive apps.
    12-08-09 02:59 PM
    When US Cellular's coverage is there, it usually can't be beat.
    12-08-09 03:32 PM
    if US Cellular's coverage is there, it usually can't be beat.
    12-08-09 05:07 PM
    Thanks for the replies

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 06:43 PM
    I had an 8330 with USCC, and for the entire time I had it I had a 1X connection. I recently made the jump over to Verizon, picked up a Tour, and the difference in speed is STAGGERING! Web pages load twice as fast, which isn't a huge deal, since they still loaded fairly quickly with the 1X connection, however, for things like sending MMS messages, FB messages, data heavy apps, the 1XEV difference is mind blowing. Downloading an app OTA is where I noticed the difference mostly. What would normally take 2-3 minutes on my 8330 now takes less than a minute, usually less than 30 seconds depending on how large the app is on my Tour.

I stuck with USCC with the hopes that their 3G network coverage would make it into St. Louis. Word was that it was supposed to come 3Q of 2009, and it didn't. I sent an e-mail to USCC regarding this and they told me that a time frame hadn't been set for the launch of 3G in my area, and that's what broke the camel's back so to say...
    12-11-09 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD