Is the problem still going on?
    I had a bunch of e-mails come through this morning, but my browser still doesn't work (even when connected to wi-fi)

What's going on?
    10-12-11 06:47 AM
    Do a battery pull. The web browser still works for most people, though still emails are messed up no bbm and no bis apps like twitter, Facebook. The web browser should definitely be working over wifi since it no longer uses bis. Well unless you're using os5 or 4, then you have to set it to use the hotspot browser. os6 and 7 will change over by itself.
    10-12-11 06:51 AM
    No browser issues here. Everything else down since last night. 6am now. Front page update says it could still be 8 hours (as of 2 hours ago)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 07:01 AM
    In the text I received from Orange yesterday afternoon it said users were experiencing problems with e-mails and browsing the internet, so I assumed the browser not working was all part of the problem.

I'm using v5.0.0351. The last time I connected my phone to the laptop, desktop manager offered me a software upgrade to Blackberry 6. But surely I can't perform a software update on my phone until the problems are resolved? I tried before but it got almost to the end and said 'fatal error'. I assumed this was due to the outage?
    10-12-11 07:03 AM
    Unfortunately, BIS is still down. However, my browser works on Wi-Fi, it's weird that yours doesn't.

BBC News - Blackberry's message goes missing
    10-12-11 07:04 AM
    I'm in Southern Ontario on Bell and I just started having problems this morning others I know are reporting the same thing.
    10-12-11 07:06 AM
    In the text I received from Orange yesterday afternoon it said users were experiencing problems with e-mails and browsing the internet, so I assumed the browser not working was all part of the problem.

I'm using v5.0.0351. The last time I connected my phone to the laptop, desktop manager offered me a software upgrade to Blackberry 6. But surely I can't perform a software update on my phone until the problems are resolved? I tried before but it got almost to the end and said 'fatal error'. I assumed this was due to the outage?
    Yes this was likely due to the outage. Also DM is so sometimes glitches when you do software updates. Maybe try using app loader?
    10-12-11 07:09 AM
    Yes this was likely due to the outage. Also DM is so sometimes glitches when you do software updates. Maybe try using app loader?
    I am really confused as to what is going on now. I have just done a battery pulll.
    When I go into Manage Connections, the box next to my wi-fi does not have a green tick in it, only a white dash. It says 'linksys' in green writing, so has detected the wi-fi, but what does the white dash mean?

My browser is still not working, My BBM messages get a tick next to them but no 'Delivered' or 'Read'. Facebook app seems to work in minimal amounts...
    10-12-11 07:49 AM
    I just changed my 'Connection Preference' to 'Wi-Fi Preferred' - what exactly does this mean?

My phone now says UMA at the top, and the box next to Wi-Fi now has a green tick.

Should I leave it as Wi-Fi Preferred in that option?

So confused
    10-12-11 08:00 AM
    This is starting to get ridiculous...
    10-12-11 08:07 AM
    My BIS dropped sometime after 5:15 this morning. Browser, T4BB, and FB all working over WiFi, just without push notifications/@ mentions. One random e-mail came through, but nothing since.
    I just changed my 'Connection Preference' to 'Wi-Fi Preferred' - what exactly does this mean?

My phone now says UMA at the top, and the box next to Wi-Fi now has a green tick.

Should I leave it as Wi-Fi Preferred in that option?

So confused
    I don't have much experience with UMA, but what it looks like is the Connection Preference is what network you want your device to connect to. I'm assuming your on T-Mobile or some other carrier that allows for UMA, thus by selecting WiFi Preferred your device will switch over to UMA whenever you are connected to a WiFi network. Simply put, UMA allows you to do voice calls over the WiFi network instead of your carrier's network. T-MO is currently the only US carrier that allows for UMA calling.
    10-12-11 08:17 AM
    Hi

Im in St.catharines,ontario (near niagara falls) and mine started acting up last night, and it is completely not working this morning, twitter, facebook,bbm,emails nothing works except txting now, RIM better fix this asap!
    10-12-11 08:29 AM
    Unfortunately, BIS is still down. However, my browser works on Wi-Fi, it's weird that yours doesn't.

BBC News - Blackberry's message goes missing
    From the article:

Finally, at 21:53 on Tuesday evening, this arrived from RIM:

"RIM update: The messaging and browsing delays being experienced by BlackBerry users in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile and Argentina were caused by a core switch failure within RIM's infrastructure. Although the system is designed to failover to a back-up switch, the failover did not function as previously tested. As a result, a large backlog of data was generated and we are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and we will continue to keep you informed."
    In other words, a three day plus BIS outage in nearly every market where RIM still has sales growth. This company is screwed.
    10-12-11 08:41 AM
    I have set my browser configuration to Hotspot Browser and my browser now works.
    Should the browser configuration always be set to Hotspot Browser? What exactly does it mean?
    10-12-11 08:57 AM
    Looks like US is now affected: BlackBerry Outage Spreads To North America
    10-12-11 09:04 AM
    In NC I'm having no web service. Didn't know what was going on this morning when I couldn't get online through 3G, so did a battery pull but had no improvement.

Then I just saw this article on CNN and realized what my problem must be: BlackBerry outage appears to be spreading - CNN.com

Jeesh. This certainly won't help BB/RIM's ongoing PR issues and wrong-way momentum. Might also give salespeople in the cell phone stores more ammunition for suggesting non-BB devices.

Edit: It also seems that my BBM is down. Just sent a BBM to my wife and the check mark appeared by the message but no "D" for delivery yet. We'll see if/when it makes it through to her.
    Last edited by BBMINI; 10-12-11 at 09:09 AM.
    10-12-11 09:05 AM
    Telus Canada, 12-Oct-2011 since 6 am (time I woke up) no BIS or any network connection to apps, browser, etc.
    10-12-11 09:07 AM
    I wasn't concerned when my browser didn't work because I assumed it was part of the network problem, but if some of you are still getting browser service, maybe it's my phone. I'll do a battery pull and hope for the best.
    10-12-11 09:13 AM
    I wasn't concerned when my browser didn't work because I assumed it was part of the network problem, but if some of you are still getting browser service, maybe it's my phone. I'll do a battery pull and hope for the best.
    It could simply be they are using WIFI & hotspot browser or Opera?
    10-12-11 09:17 AM
    Browsing ok. FB ok. No email nor is email setup working.

Wisconsin on USCC.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    10-12-11 09:19 AM
    No email, no BBM for me. Web seems okay - Philadelphia PA
    10-12-11 09:23 AM
    Yup, my Rogers work BB and Telus personal BB are both down. I'm getting emails on my work BB since it uses BES but data is down. My personal BB has no data services at all.
    10-12-11 09:28 AM
    No BES activity for me since this morning.
    10-12-11 10:01 AM
    I got a few emails this morning so I had no idea service was having problems in Canada. It does appear that I am now 'down' though.
    10-12-11 10:18 AM
    Just a moment ago I had one email squeak through somehow, so I thought BIS was back in action and that I'd get a flood of backlogged messages. But then no more emails came through, I still can't get online, and a BBM my wife sent me still hasn't reached me. Jeesh. Also incredibly unfortunate timing for RIM and BB.
    10-12-11 02:33 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD