So let's recap:

- You assumed you had international data, for whatever reason. Rather than checking, you just went with it.

- You admit it to be your mistake, yet you discuss "vengence" (Sic)

- You're choosing to pay 100 cancellation fees in order to switch to another, higher cost provider, whose BB plans will work the exact same way with international data. This is all due to your admitted mistake.

On a side note, I'm curious what type of company made you VP with the poor communication and decision making skills you've demonstrated.
    Maybe a VP of a whoopie cushion company.
    01-11-10 04:35 PM
    Ignorance is bliss. Blaming someone else for your problems when it was 100% your fault.

Are there any people left in this world with common sense?
    01-12-10 10:42 AM
    . . . but better be save than sorry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Is that a typo or a pun?
    01-12-10 10:57 AM
    So let's recap:

- You assumed you had international data, for whatever reason. Rather than checking, you just went with it.

- You admit it to be your mistake, yet you discuss "vengence" (Sic)

- You're choosing to pay 100 cancellation fees in order to switch to another, higher cost provider, whose BB plans will work the exact same way with international data. This is all due to your admitted mistake.

On a side note, I'm curious what type of company made you VP with the poor communication and decision making skills you've demonstrated.
    The guy made a mistake, as we all do in various areas of our lives. There is no need to personally insult him in this way.
    01-12-10 11:00 AM
    I will be paying extreme attention from now on and request written info when ever we have someone travel.
    Requesting information in writing is an excellent idea. I have attempted in advance to obtain written information in the past regarding how a specific type of usage in a certain location will apply. However, in my experience, companies are reluctant to provide written information beyond what is typically found in their already existing literature. I believe the motivation is to avoid being locked in regarding how much they can charge the consumer.
    01-12-10 11:04 AM
    Requesting information in writing is an excellent idea. I have attempted in advance to obtain written information in the past regarding how a specific type of usage in a certain location will apply. However, in my experience, companies are reluctant to provide written information beyond what is typically found in their already existing literature. I believe the motivation is to avoid being locked in regarding how much they can charge the consumer.
    Most of the VZW CSRs will send me an email that contains the dialing info for the countries I've told them that the BB is going to and it also breaks down the charges by minute, text and Mb, etc. I didn't get that for this one though.
    01-12-10 12:25 PM
    This is only partially related, but I find it hilarious that once or twice a week we get a post like this. It's always the same pattern too. The poster is fired up about something petty, only to be picked apart for being ignorant and uninformed. The poster may respond once, but ultimately does not respond once people point out how the blame is on them rather than the service provider. The poster disappears, and will inevitably be upset about something else in the future, due to their lack of ability to help themselves.
    01-17-10 03:03 AM
    The guy made a mistake, as we all do in various areas of our lives. There is no need to personally insult him in this way.
    Making a mistake is one thing. Acting out towards a company or person because of your own mistake reflects directly upon your character. Rather than owning up, he wants to sue them "out of spite". That gives me a lot of insight into his intelligence level.

In a world of proclaimed independence, no one wants to be held accountable.
    01-17-10 03:13 AM
    This problem of roaming charges has been discussed many times here. TMO has been very adamant of charging data usage when roaming overseas since last year. I travel frequently abroad so few things I do to avoid the charges. Get UMA enabled phones, preferably unlocked ones. Turn on WiFi only connection if u have free access to it. I'm pretty sure if u r staying at nice hotel they do usually have WiFi. Or buy local sim card. Some of us got lucky n never got charged but better be save than sorry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If you leave the US, call T-Mo CS and have them add the BB Unlimited Intl Email package.

And alahai's right - find a place that has WiFi. What's weird is that I've noticed that high end hotels will charge an insane amount for WiFi, but you get it free with some hostels and lower-end hotels. Go figure.

What else?
    1) Shut off every background app - BerryWeather, Google Sync - you name it.
    2) Do you need voice roaming but not data roaming? Set data services to "Off While Roaming." But be prepared to deal with the weirdness that is GSM roaming (being charged for one minute for voice mail notification, etc.).
    3) If you *need* to do anything data intensive, wait until you have WiFi. Seriously.

I've got a sweet thing with my unlimited texting plan while roaming. First, all calls get diverted to my Google Voice number, so I get an email sent to me with an transcription of the call. If it's important (say, from a family member and there are words like "someone's sick") then you know it's time to call home. If it's from a friend and the transcript is "hey what's up?" then forget them - I'll call them when I've got UMA. Any incoming texts will be out of your text bucket (got unlimited text? incoming is free) while abroad but 35 cents to send a reply. Solution? Have them send a SMS to your Google Voice number instead. Under Google Voice, enable SMS-to-Email so their SMS is sent to your email and you can reply from there on your BB.

Threads like this need to be stickied. A little prevention stops ranting.
    01-17-10 04:24 AM
    I'll say it again like I did in another thread.

The T-Mobile International Email package includes emails...BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE ATTACHMENTS!!!! You will be charge $15MB for the attachment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HTML email is considered an attachment!!!!!!

Fair warning folks, I had this argument with 3 different CSR's after having been told that emails were included, but NOT ATTACHMENTS!!! This is after a $600 data bill for being Saudi Arabia. Lucky by that bill, I was able to chuck the T-Mobile SIM and get a local SIM for the contract I was working over here.

I believe there is a setting in the phone to turn OFF HTML email, and receive it as TEXT ONLY.

Good luck everybody. Seems the only decent carrier with real international unlimited data is Verizon, and it's $60/month (pretty good if you ask me).
    01-17-10 08:50 AM
    Good luck everybody. Seems the only decent carrier with real international unlimited data is Verizon, and it's $60/month (pretty good if you ask me).
    For $60/month it better be good. Especially since it was only recently that VZ started providing BBs that worked in all countries
    01-17-10 01:12 PM
    For $60/month it better be good. Especially since it was only recently that VZ started providing BBs that worked in all countries
    Depends on how much you are overseas and how much data that you use. Keep in mind, you can tether with Verizon, so you wouldn't need anything but a signal.

This also depends on what you use your phone for. I use mostly data. And with Skype it would all be data, just use your BB as a modem and your good to go. Better than paying $15/1MB which honestly is an exorbitant amount of money, considering the size of web pages these days

All about usage.
    01-17-10 01:23 PM
    I guess if you consider 2007 as "only recently"...
    01-17-10 01:36 PM
    I guess if you consider 2007 as "only recently"...
    Which phone are you referring to? The Storm was the first BB to use all the GSM bands, unless I'm missing one. The 8830 only did 900/1800.
    01-17-10 04:22 PM
    Sprint does it for $40 as an attachable on a smartphone (unadvertised pricing - they advertise it as $69.99), and it is a true unlimited on the World Phones (8830, Tour, etc)

For non-world phones it is unlimited for areas that do CDMA (Canada, Mexico, and some 10 other countries worldwide).
    01-17-10 04:45 PM
    I have travelled before with the BB and international e-mail and have not been charged with data. I checked for forum and as of last year there was no charge for the data.

Depends on how much you are overseas and how much data that you use. Keep in mind, you can tether with Verizon, so you wouldn't need anything but a signal.

This also depends on what you use your phone for. I use mostly data. And with Skype it would all be data, just use your BB as a modem and your good to go. Better than paying $15/1MB which honestly is an exorbitant amount of money, considering the size of web pages these days

All about usage.
    02-01-10 07:53 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD