So i log on to a 1200 dollar bill for a download on an email in CABO. Tmobile refuses to drop any cost and said either pay it or cancel. So word of advice if your going to cabo throw your blackberry in the ******* ocean and change to verizon.

Anyone fight this with an attorney? It would be worth it just for spite.
    01-04-10 09:35 PM
    So i log on to a 1200 dollar bill for a download on an email in CABO. Tmobile refuses to drop any cost and said either pay it or cancel. So word of advice if your going to cabo throw your blackberry in the ******* ocean and change to verizon.

Anyone fight this with an attorney? It would be worth it just for spite.

How long were you in Cabo? And was the phone on the entire time? If so, then that is what did it. Now as far as fighting it.... I think they may have you by the short hairs if you claim you did not read or understand your contract. But it might be worth your time to push this up the chain to someone that can help. As I understand it, the VP of Customer Service is someone you may want to contact as well as anyone between the bottom rung of the ladder on up.

Personally, I always find out about roaming before I leave the states, so it's noted that I asked about it before hand, so if there are charges that I was told won't happen but did, it will hopefully be easier to get them reduced or waived.
    01-04-10 09:57 PM
    This problem of roaming charges has been discussed many times here. TMO has been very adamant of charging data usage when roaming overseas since last year. I travel frequently abroad so few things I do to avoid the charges. Get UMA enabled phones, preferably unlocked ones. Turn on WiFi only connection if u have free access to it. I'm pretty sure if u r staying at nice hotel they do usually have WiFi. Or buy local sim card. Some of us got lucky n never got charged but better be save than sorry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 12:01 AM
    There's not a lot of information to go on here. Did you knowingly use your BB while out of the country? Did some applications get left on?

Is $1200 excessive? Yes, but if you left apps running that used data, that's not T-Mobile's fault.

Please give more details on the situation.
    01-05-10 12:12 AM
    There is really nothing you can do about it if you knowingly left your "network connection" on while you are abroad, you might get a nice CSR or their SUP to waive some of it for you as a courtesy.

It sucks but you are supposed to get charged. It is best to do what others have suggested, only turn on "wifi" while abroad so anything you get is free. Really there is no point of leaving network on as UMA will allow you to place and receive free phone calls as well.

If you have auto repayment drawn on your credit card every month, you might be able to fight the charges with your credit card/bank as they are more lenient most of the time.

Good luck!
    01-05-10 02:17 AM
    2 years ago, i had just got my iphone, and i was abroad and did not know about roaming charges. i downloaded audio and video and ended up with a 3500 dollar bill. i went to swisscom and because they advertise "free internet everywhere" the said they understood and dropped the charge to 500 dollars. was very kind, but they said that the roaming is kind of a ripoff anyway, so they had no problem lowering it, aslong as i had learned my lesson
    01-05-10 05:37 AM
    Nothing to fight. You might get lucky and find someone who will work with you, but in the end it's a valid charge.

As mentioned before, turn off 'mobile netowrk' and use wifi on a UMA phone. Works for me every time I am out of the country. Make calls (only to the US) and get my emails with no issues/extra charges
    01-05-10 09:24 AM
    If you are with T-Mobile why didn't you add the Unlimited International Blackberry Email to your account?? They will even prorate it for the time you are gone - so a week works out about $5 and you can add/remove it from my.t-mobile.com

It is supposed to only cover email - but you state that this is how you got the charges. I'm not sure how changing to Verizon would help you either? I'm looking at their website and it states they charge $5.12/MB in Mexico???
    Last edited by markbb99; 01-05-10 at 10:54 AM.
    01-05-10 10:43 AM
    your right nothing to fight just talked to Tmobile attorney who was your Atypical Ahole. My mistake but thought I had international just happened to another employee of mine. The mistake was mine, but vengence is nice to be the VP and approve over a 100 international reps to expense their cancellation fees to switch out of tmobile.
    01-06-10 11:50 AM
    your right nothing to fight just talked to Tmobile attorney who was your Atypical Ahole. My mistake but thought I had international just happened to another employee of mine. The mistake was mine, but vengence is nice to be the VP and approve over a 100 international reps to expense their cancellation fees to switch out of tmobile.
    Sounds like a poor business decision to me. Ignorance should not motivate decisions.
    01-06-10 06:23 PM
    If you are with T-Mobile why didn't you add the Unlimited International Blackberry Email to your account?? They will even prorate it for the time you are gone - so a week works out about $5 and you can add/remove it from my.t-mobile.com

It is supposed to only cover email - but you state that this is how you got the charges. I'm not sure how changing to Verizon would help you either? I'm looking at their website and it states they charge $5.12/MB in Mexico???
    In my expensive experience, the International email plan, does not include regular data charges, nor attachements to email.

I ended up with a $600 data bill after being told by CSRs at T-Mobile that all data was covered for the $20/month plan...which is isn't.

They did discount it 50% when I queried it tho.
    01-06-10 07:55 PM
    Sounds like a poor business decision to me. Ignorance should not motivate decisions.
    It depends on whether going through a provider change will remind him to check the roaming options before the next trip. If it does then it's a good decision. If he doesn't, I imagine we'll see a similar thread in a different carrier sub-forum...
    01-06-10 08:27 PM
    So let's recap:

- You assumed you had international data, for whatever reason. Rather than checking, you just went with it.

- You admit it to be your mistake, yet you discuss "vengence" (Sic)

- You're choosing to pay 100 cancellation fees in order to switch to another, higher cost provider, whose BB plans will work the exact same way with international data. This is all due to your admitted mistake.

On a side note, I'm curious what type of company made you VP with the poor communication and decision making skills you've demonstrated.
    01-07-10 12:58 AM
    I'm still curious about what made this attorney different from the rest...

your right nothing to fight just talked to Tmobile attorney who was your Atypical Ahole.
    01-07-10 01:29 AM
    So let's recap:

- You assumed you had international data, for whatever reason. Rather than checking, you just went with it.

- You admit it to be your mistake, yet you discuss "vengence" (Sic)

- You're choosing to pay 100 cancellation fees in order to switch to another, higher cost provider, whose BB plans will work the exact same way with international data. This is all due to your admitted mistake.

On a side note, I'm curious what type of company made you VP with the poor communication and decision making skills you've demonstrated.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Would love to know what company they work for so I can avoid shopping and or investing with them.

01-07-10 10:56 AM
    That whole thing doesn't even make sense... I don't understand why people feel the urge to make up stuff in forums to make themselves look "greater".

There is not one cell phone provider that gives free international data and Tmobile is still cheaper compared to Verizon. By switching 100 hundred lines with ETF is just more money and you will also be paying $10-$15 more per line after that after the switch.

The only company I can think of that puts this person in charge would be the US Defense Department...
    01-07-10 05:05 PM
    Lmfao @ department of defense. +10 humor!

01-07-10 08:04 PM
    It is your responsibility to know what the **** is going on with your phone at all times. TMO has a BB roaming package that is 19.99 a month for unl DATA while roaming. Fact of the matter is if your a BB user you know that data is always being transmitted in the background. This goes for pretty much any phone that does data nowadays. its 15$ a mb for data while roaming. so I doubt that it was all for data roaming. please be as detailed as possible and less whiny about your problems. if you want honest answers then post as much detail as possible.
    01-08-10 12:30 AM
    I don't know about the 8900, but on my 9700 there is an option to make it request permission to roam for data. So the phone will only do it if you give it permission to.

Sorry about the charges, that's one unhappy bill to get.
    01-09-10 01:22 AM
    So yesterday, I got a call from VZW Business Support. They wanted to warn me about the $5,000 in data charges that would be coming from the USB modem that went to Japan. After picking myself up off the floor, I explain that I called and had a package put on that phone before the trip. She tells me that the Unlimited Intl doesn't cover Japan and its x.xx per MB and its not under the 100MB or the 5GB, etc. I told her they never explained it to me. If they had, my boss would have been much more selective of his usage, if any. She was able to go back and pull the recording of the call I made and because they didn't explain it to me correctly, they're going to eat the charges...

I will be paying extreme attention from now on and request written info when ever we have someone travel.
    01-09-10 12:11 PM
    Completely dumb question from a new BB user...does this only apply to international...or domestic as well?
    01-09-10 08:49 PM
    The thing that is disappointing is having a phone capable of working anywhere in the world but not being affordable to do so.
    01-09-10 09:38 PM
    So yesterday, I got a call from VZW Business Support. They wanted to warn me about the $5,000 in data charges that would be coming from the USB modem that went to Japan. After picking myself up off the floor, I explain that I called and had a package put on that phone before the trip. She tells me that the Unlimited Intl doesn't cover Japan and its x.xx per MB and its not under the 100MB or the 5GB, etc. I told her they never explained it to me. If they had, my boss would have been much more selective of his usage, if any. She was able to go back and pull the recording of the call I made and because they didn't explain it to me correctly, they're going to eat the charges...

I will be paying extreme attention from now on and request written info when ever we have someone travel.
    This doesn't make sense. You put the international roaming data plan on the phone or the USB modem?

If you put the data plan on the phone and tethered it (PAM) via USB, those data charges are different and would not be included in the phone line's data package.
    01-09-10 10:02 PM
    It is your responsibility to know what the **** is going on with your phone at all times. TMO has a BB roaming package that is 19.99 a month for unl DATA while roaming. Fact of the matter is if your a BB user you know that data is always being transmitted in the background. This goes for pretty much any phone that does data nowadays. its 15$ a mb for data while roaming. so I doubt that it was all for data roaming. please be as detailed as possible and less whiny about your problems. if you want honest answers then post as much detail as possible.
    FYI, the $19.99 plan is for unlimited e-mail, as the T-Mo website states. Apparently T-Mo can distinguish between e-mail and all other data usage, and people have been charged for using data.

From BBForums
    01-09-10 10:07 PM
    This doesn't make sense. You put the international roaming data plan on the phone or the USB modem?

If you put the data plan on the phone and tethered it (PAM) via USB, those data charges are different and would not be included in the phone line's data package.
    Sorry, that was confusing. He actually had a Tour and a USB modem and I added the package to both. The charges were from the USB modem.

It just seems weird to me that the mecca of electronics, Japan, doesn't have an unlimited plan for cheap. I've had users going to 3rd world countries and getting better deals.
    01-09-10 11:09 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD