Is this still an option? I received a notice on my last bill that i got three days ago that told me about the fee increase on the next bill.

i chatted online with a rep and he said that i would still have to pay to cancel since this was billed to every active customer, and my number could not be ported since i cancelled.

even if i cant port, did I miss out on the time frame?
    12-30-09 02:47 PM
    trust me i do enough reading. and i didnt come back i already stated what i had to state . Everyone does scams. banks companies etc , etc you came off sounding that its okay for you to do what you have to do just because everyone else scams.. Try googling moraility for enlightenment
    Again, since you seem to have some comprehension issues: As you state everyone scams. Banks, etc. etc. AND CELL PHONE COMPANIES !!

I personally wouldn't use this loophole to get out, then back in just to get new device. I used this opportunity to have my contract end date removed. IN CASE I keep getting LOUSY customer service from Sprint. Notice how I haven't said anything about cost or dropped calls?

My issue is with you people that stand on top of that soap box, chastising the people that (in your opinion AND mine) scam the phone company out of a new device, yet you don't do the same thing when the very same phone company scams people on a daily basis. They have NO regards towards us as customers. We are just cash cows to them, nothing more. Talk about morality when the purposely STEAL from customers !

If your local tavern would treat you like the phone companies treat us you wouldn't step foot into that place again.

There are PLENTY of companies that I do business with that treat me with respect and fairness. They don't try every angle to weasel more money out of me every chance they get. It's a mutual respect we have.

However, Sprint doesn't respect me as their CUSTOMER at all so woopdie doo ... I don't shed a tear if someone takes them to the cleaner. Again, just so you understand me clearly, I WOULD NOT DO what some other folks are doing.
    12-30-09 07:00 PM
    Again, since you seem to have some comprehension issues: As you state everyone scams. Banks, etc. etc. AND CELL PHONE COMPANIES !!

I personally wouldn't use this loophole to get out, then back in just to get new device. I used this opportunity to have my contract end date removed. IN CASE I keep getting LOUSY customer service from Sprint. Notice how I haven't said anything about cost or dropped calls?

My issue is with you people that stand on top of that soap box, chastising the people that (in your opinion AND mine) scam the phone company out of a new device, yet you don't do the same thing when the very same phone company scams people on a daily basis. They have NO regards towards us as customers. We are just cash cows to them, nothing more. Talk about morality when the purposely STEAL from customers !

If your local tavern would treat you like the phone companies treat us you wouldn't step foot into that place again.

There are PLENTY of companies that I do business with that treat me with respect and fairness. They don't try every angle to weasel more money out of me every chance they get. It's a mutual respect we have.

However, Sprint doesn't respect me as their CUSTOMER at all so woopdie doo ... I don't shed a tear if someone takes them to the cleaner. Again, just so you understand me clearly, I WOULD NOT DO what some other folks are doing.
    That is some strawman you are building there. So if your local tavern increased the price of the bud you drink by .25 cents a bottle, you'd go find a new tavern? Every company, and I mean every company has increases to their service. With most you are not tied into a contract with them, or you don't have other options, so you can't cancel. Sprint doesn't care about you? Here's a news flash for you, none of the companies that you do business with cares about you. They may be nice to you on the phone, and throw you a bone here or there, but they don't care.

Sprint raises a federal regulatory fee by .20 cents, means they don't care about you? They offer by far the most customer friendly plans and services, at rates that cannot be beat.

Sprint isn't stealing anything from you, what a ridiculous statement, you should be embarrassed that you even posted that. They raised the fee by .20 cents. They notified their customers that this would be happening. If you are referring to the ASL fee, again, they are clear about this fee being instituted, and are not stealing from you.

When you want to make long winded posts, and sound intelligent and articulate, don't build it around a strawman arguement. Lol, stealing from you. Thats damn funny.

I guess the Tavern you drink at hasn't raised prices in all the years you've gone there. Right...
    12-30-09 07:46 PM
    So if your local tavern increased the price of the bud you drink by .25 cents a bottle, you'd go find a new tavern?
    Of course not but it is at MY discretion to do so. Also I don't have a TWO WAY contract with them

Here's a news flash for you, none of the companies that you do business with cares about you.
    You are FLAT OUT wrong on this one buddy !

They offer by far the most customer friendly plans and services, at rates that cannot be beat.
    If you really read my posts then you see that this is not in dispute here !

Sprint isn't stealing anything from you, what a ridiculous statement, you should be embarrassed that you even posted that. They raised the fee by .20 cents. They notified their customers that this would be happening. If you are referring to the ASL fee, again, they are clear about this fee being instituted, and are not stealing from you.
    Read this: How Errors Are EASY For Phone Companies To Create For You | GrayBear Resources Group

Of interest is this excerpt:
    "According to a recent study by Gartner Group, a leading information technology research and advisory company, when it comes to telephone and data bills, an estimated $13 billion in overcharges will be generated in the next 12 months and less than 2% of these telephone billing errors will ever be identified."

This is BY DESIGN !! I don't know what they call it where you are from but we call it THEFT !

I guess the Tavern you drink at hasn't raised prices in all the years you've gone there. Right...
    Certainly they have but that is not the issue. My example of the tavern was not them raising or not raising the prices on their product, I was talking about how they TREAT me as a customer.
    I guess when you go to a tavern and they treat you like sh!t then YOU of course will continue to go there. RIGHT

We can agree to disagree all day long but it seems like you wanna read what you want to read into what I am saying.
    12-30-09 08:15 PM

We can agree to disagree all day long but it seems like you wanna read what you want to read into what I am saying.
    Well if you didnt jump all over the place and make sense then we wouldnt be like this would we . you defended those who wanted to get out of contract to get a new phone by saying that sprint robs us all. you said it way back earlier and this alll happened but now your just creating a bigger unnecessary story about taverns? If you service is crap use the etf get out and dont complain, go to another company already . If you want a new phone dont even bother to post because nobody wont want to hear that . dont justify it with they do it to use so its perfectly fine us to do it to them.
    12-30-09 10:21 PM
    Well, I am done talking to you. You are just being argumentative and you don't even try to get it. "Unnecessary story"....says it all.
    Please don't respond to me anymore, you are bringing ZERO to this conversation. Go away already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:28 PM
    This thread is about new billing fees that were announced in advance. It is not about random billing errors.

Billing errors, on purpose or not, aren't unique to Sprint.

Whether you think random billing errors are a scam or not, that is not a basis for getting out of the contract sans ETF per this thread.

Getting out of the contract and avoiding the ETF by citing a disagreement with these new fees and then signing right back up again to get a new device at new contract pricing and "get one over on big corporate" is not the same as individual billing errors. The former is a blatant scam and the latter is debatable.

Let's keep on topic, please.

12-30-09 11:59 PM
    The smart thisng for sprint to do would be to automatically terminate service if the customer wants to use these changes to get out of their ETF. How many people in here would still want to be contract free if they would have to go find a new carrier and pay the higher price? Even the 5$ ASL fee is cheap compared to comparable plans on VZW and AT&T.
    12-31-09 08:01 AM
    The smart thisng for sprint to do would be to automatically terminate service if the customer wants to use these changes to get out of their ETF. How many people in here would still want to be contract free if they would have to go find a new carrier and pay the higher price? Even the 5$ ASL fee is cheap compared to comparable plans on VZW and AT&T.
    see post 208 as an alternative solution, covers both sides
    12-31-09 08:57 AM
    I've searched this thread but its been hard to find anything with the debate going on, so i'll ask again, hopefully this thread doesnt get too carried away again..:

has anyone been able to port their number when cancelling doing this way?
    i spoke with a rep via online chat and he said that since I requested the cancel, that I would not be able to port my number, any way around this?
    12-31-09 10:37 AM
    Well, I am done talking to you. You are just being argumentative and you don't even try to get it. "Unnecessary story"....says it all.
    Please don't respond to me anymore, you are bringing ZERO to this conversation. Go away already.

"flying away to the Tavern"
    12-31-09 11:08 AM
    I've searched this thread but its been hard to find anything with the debate going on, so i'll ask again, hopefully this thread doesnt get too carried away again..:

has anyone been able to port their number when cancelling doing this way?
    i spoke with a rep via online chat and he said that since I requested the cancel, that I would not be able to port my number, any way around this?
    You need to tell them that you want to request a cancel of the contract, not the service. This is a breach in their contract with you, so you should be able to cancel the contract and not the service.

12-31-09 12:06 PM
    You need to tell them that you want to request a cancel of the contract, not the service. This is a breach in their contract with you, so you should be able to cancel the contract and not the service.

I called them today and talked to a very helpful rep at retentions. He tried to talk me into staying (and if tmobile didn't have cheaper plans, I would stay), but I told him i'd like to cancel.. and wanted to port my number.

He told me thats fine and the ETF would be waived, and my contract would cancel as soon as my number was ported, however, I just looked at my sprint.com account and someone earlier in this thread said if it doesn't say your contract fulfillment date is today, then somethings not right, and mine hasnt changed.. so will everything be alright?

should i go ahead and do the port to t-mobile, and see if i get charged the ETF, then fight it if i do? or should i get that taken care of before i port?
    12-31-09 06:14 PM
    I called them today and talked to a very helpful rep at retentions. He tried to talk me into staying (and if tmobile didn't have cheaper plans, I would stay), but I told him i'd like to cancel.. and wanted to port my number.

He told me thats fine and the ETF would be waived, and my contract would cancel as soon as my number was ported, however, I just looked at my sprint.com account and someone earlier in this thread said if it doesn't say your contract fulfillment date is today, then somethings not right, and mine hasnt changed.. so will everything be alright?

should i go ahead and do the port to t-mobile, and see if i get charged the ETF, then fight it if i do? or should i get that taken care of before i port?
    I'd at LEAST call them back and make sure your account has been notated. Like I said earlier, my end date actually changed right after I got off of the phone. You don't want to cancel your service, get charged an ETF, and then not at least have a note on your account saying "this customer can cancel ETF free". This IS sprint CS we're talking about here, one time I called for tech support and the guy insisted on calling me "ma'am" even though I made it VERY clear I was a man.
    01-01-10 01:27 AM
    Well I just called again and told the lady that I called yesterday and told her the details and said that my online contract date didn't change.. And I asked two times if I port today, would be charged the ETF ... And both times she said no.. So we'll see what happens, I'm going to tmobile today to get an even more plus plan for my unlocked tour.. $17 cheaper a month and get to keep my tour, and I hear tmobile includes tethering? Not sure, but everything else sounds like a deal to me..

Edit: they should have some of the retentions reps do regular customer service calls.. I've never gotten the helpful People that I have with retentions (also no automated menus/hold time any time I called, it rang no more than three times before a rep answered)
    Last edited by rogo22; 01-01-10 at 08:03 AM.
    01-01-10 07:59 AM
    as per usual, this process is hit and miss depending on the customer service rep you talk to. i called today, the first rep told me the charge had to show up on my bill before i could end my contract w/o etf. called back five minutes later, got a much nicer rep that had no problem marking my contract as fulfilled. i told her i wanted to port my number so my service will stay on until/if i do so. i was also offered $20/mo off on top of my 10% corporate discount.
    01-01-10 10:33 AM
    I guess we'd have to wait till the final bill to see who got charged the ETF, but does anyone know if the contract fulfillment date on sprint.com matters, when two reps repeatedly told me I would not be charged ETF?
    01-01-10 12:16 PM
    I guess we'd have to wait till the final bill to see who got charged the ETF, but does anyone know if the contract fulfillment date on sprint.com matters, when two reps repeatedly told me I would not be charged ETF?
    I got my final bill and was NOT charged an ETF. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.
    01-01-10 12:44 PM
    I got my final bill and was NOT charged an ETF. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.
    My thinking is that the system looks at your contract fulfilment date and decides wether or not to charge ETF, regardless of what reps say, and that by getting the date changed tells them that you're etf free... Who knows, I'll let you know how it goes

01-01-10 12:47 PM
    I find it interesting that we've gotten to the window for this to work, and this thread is pretty much dead. Have people not had much success ending their contracts?
    01-06-10 07:03 PM
    I find it interesting that we've gotten to the window for this to work, and this thread is pretty much dead. Have people not had much success ending their contracts?
    Well we have 30 days, don't we? Maybe some people are still weighing the pros and cons.

For me, I'm still conflicted about doing it, and my options are limited. It's either Sprint or TMo for me, because I'm not going to pay Verizon and AT&T extra for the privilege. I would have to decide what phone I want also. My husband is beyond satisfied with his Hero, my daughter wants to swap her Pearl out for the Pixie, and I'm stuck with this awful Tour. I just don't know if it's worth it for me to go to TMo.

Lots of thinking to do ....
    01-06-10 07:46 PM
    Well we have 30 days, don't we? Maybe some people are still weighing the pros and cons.

For me, I'm still conflicted about doing it, and my options are limited. It's either Sprint or TMo for me, because I'm not going to pay Verizon and AT&T extra for the privilege. I would have to decide what phone I want also. My husband is beyond satisfied with his Hero, my daughter wants to swap her Pearl out for the Pixie, and I'm stuck with this awful Tour. I just don't know if it's worth it for me to go to TMo.

Lots of thinking to do ....
    go samsung moment try it .. its very nice.. 8:30 am full charge just hit the 3% battery life at 7:47 Pm im draining it out to power cycle nt even sluggish
    01-06-10 07:50 PM
    I think people mainly checked this thread to get information on how to get out with no etf - once they're out, no more reason to check.
    01-06-10 09:47 PM
    go samsung moment try it .. its very nice.. 8:30 am full charge just hit the 3% battery life at 7:47 Pm im draining it out to power cycle nt even sluggish
    Thanks! Android plus a physical keyboard, sounds good to me! The only thing I'm concerned about is the Samsung part of it, because the Instinct was just not that great of a phone, and the touchscreen was pretty awful.

I haven't been in a Sprint store yet to play with it though, so I haven't completely ruled it out.
    01-07-10 01:56 AM
    Thanks! Android plus a physical keyboard, sounds good to me! The only thing I'm concerned about is the Samsung part of it, because the Instinct was just not that great of a phone, and the touchscreen was pretty awful.

I haven't been in a Sprint store yet to play with it though, so I haven't completely ruled it out.
    I played with the Moment in the Sprint store, and it's definitely a very good phone. It's got a glass touchscreen, which seemed just as good as the one on my Droid, and the hardware keyboard is actually a bit better. The only real downside I see is the low-ish screen resolution, but I've been spoiled by the absolutely amazing screen the Droid has.

If you wanna stay with Sprint, and you want Android, you can't go wrong with getting it, especially with the software upgrades coming out for it later this year.
    01-07-10 02:03 AM
264 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD