I was reading on the T-Mobile forums that a customer couldn't get a one year contract anymore. Has anyone heard this?
    11-18-09 07:31 PM
    You might be able to get a one year if you already have a one year plan. If not, you will only be able to be on contract (EM plan) or off contract (EM+ plan).
    11-18-09 07:51 PM
    It true. They got rid of one year contracts a while back. I don't recall exactly when but other people on T-Mobile forums have mentioned it.
    11-18-09 08:30 PM
    Yeah as of 10/25, T-Mobile no longer offers them. I think the only national carrier not to, this is clearly a move due to high churn but a bad one like that paper bill fee.
    11-18-09 09:24 PM
    Yeah as of 10/25, T-Mobile no longer offers them. I think the only national carrier not to, this is clearly a move due to high churn but a bad one like that paper bill fee.
    LOL. I remember when T-Mobile refused to do 2-year plans and you could only get a 1-year plan. I asked for a 2-year plan once and they told me no can do.

Amazing how things change.
    11-18-09 09:33 PM
    LOL. I remember when T-Mobile refused to do 2-year plans and you could only get a 1-year plan. I asked for a 2-year plan once and they told me no can do.

Amazing how things change.
    Yea probably for the extra discount, which IMHO isn't enough. I'd rather pay the extra $50 and do 12 months. And yea it is amazing lol
    11-18-09 10:46 PM
    Yea probably for the extra discount, which IMHO isn't enough. I'd rather pay the extra $50 and do 12 months. And yea it is amazing lol
    I've been doing 1 year since day 1. I was OK paying the extra $50.
    11-19-09 01:05 AM
    I tried to renew my 1 yr contract yesterday while upgrading to the 9700, and they said its not an option any longer.. yeah i didnt mind the extra $50.00 up front for a phone either!
    11-19-09 01:34 AM
    They may have discontinued it.
    I signed a one year contract in September, though. I might have beat the punch.

I wish they would have kept the one-year contracts, either way T-Mobile would have been paid on time and faithfully, and I'd be able to get the phone I want sooner vs waiting forever and a day (hey, two years is a long time for a lot to go wrong!)...
    11-19-09 11:56 AM
    two years is a long time for a lot to go wrong!)...
    Where else would you go?

Verizon is CDMA (yuck) and overpriced and they can't get their act together in being able to bill customers correctly.

AT&T has a weak network, is overpriced and are run by crooks.

Sprint is CDMA (double yuck) and are incompetent.

If it weren't for T-Mobile, I'd probably be using a string and a tin can. 1 year, 2 year? Who cares. I'm not going anywhere.
    11-19-09 12:02 PM
    I also tried to upgrade to the 9700 with a 1 year contract - i've always done 1 year's in the past - but can't be done.

I hate to switch to AT&T but I hate 2 year contracts even more I think. Tough call

I spend in excess of $1,000 most months with T-Mobile from global roaming charges so I wish they were more flexible - hopefully they'll hear this from enough customers and change policies but it might be too late for me
    11-19-09 03:09 PM
    I also tried to upgrade to the 9700 with a 1 year contract - i've always done 1 year's in the past - but can't be done.

I hate to switch to AT&T but I hate 2 year contracts even more I think. Tough call

I spend in excess of $1,000 most months with T-Mobile from global roaming charges so I wish they were more flexible - hopefully they'll hear this from enough customers and change policies but it might be too late for me
    For me it's always been about getting my next upgrade sooner. 24 months is too long, so I agree. Firstly the warranty doesn't even extend beyond 12 months, the price difference was so marginal that I always went with 12 months.
    11-19-09 05:07 PM
    This is correct. No more one year. You have to understand that those of you who request a 1 year contract are a very small minority. I would say less than 1%, realistically. I think choice is important, but very few people took advantage of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 02:29 AM
    For me it's always been about getting my next upgrade sooner. 24 months is too long, so I agree. Firstly the warranty doesn't even extend beyond 12 months, the price difference was so marginal that I always went with 12 months.
    If you have the $5.99 PHP bundle your warranty is indefinite as long as you keep the feature.

11-20-09 02:30 AM
    Back in the day when I got phones more frequently I liked paying full price and going month to month because I could then sell the old one and have the latest and greatest no matter which network it was on.
    11-22-09 12:48 AM
    This is correct. No more one year. You have to understand that those of you who request a 1 year contract are a very small minority. I would say less than 1%, realistically. I think choice is important, but very few people took advantage of it.

I'm sure more than that but also T-Mobile didn't mention people had a choice. You had to call or visit a store, and both would try to encourage you to do 24 months. I remember upgrading last year with a rep determined to convince me to save $50 to do 24 months. What's next phasing out 24 and going 36 months?!

If you have the $5.99 PHP bundle your warranty is indefinite as long as you keep the feature.

Oh no way! What a waste of money lol
    11-22-09 01:01 AM
    I wonder if this is a scheme to push phone warranties.
    11-22-09 02:50 AM
    I wonder if this is a scheme to push phone warranties.
    T-Mobile's insurance has been $5.99 as long as I've sold them. Only recently did they add the extended manufacturer's warranty for the same price. I'm sure this was to increase sales of the insurance, but they did so by offering more for the money. Not sure how this qualifies as a "scheme"
    11-22-09 04:33 PM
    I'm sure more than that but also T-Mobile didn't mention people had a choice. You had to call or visit a store, and both would try to encourage you to do 24 months. I remember upgrading last year with a rep determined to convince me to save $50 to do 24 months. What's next phasing out 24 and going 36 months?!
    Canada already does 36 month contracts, which I think is disgusting. I can honestly say I sell 2-3 one year contracts every six months or so, which amounts to less than 1% of the total contracts I sell. How exactly are you sure it's more than that?

Oh no way! What a waste of money lol
    You're not paying $5.99 for an extended warranty. You're buying insurance, which the warranty now comes with.
    11-22-09 04:35 PM
    Where else would you go?

Verizon is CDMA (yuck) and overpriced and they can't get their act together in being able to bill customers correctly.

AT&T has a weak network, is overpriced and are run by crooks.

Sprint is CDMA (double yuck) and are incompetent.

If it weren't for T-Mobile, I'd probably be using a string and a tin can. 1 year, 2 year? Who cares. I'm not going anywhere.
    I'd just give it up altogether.

Also, while I'm in partial agreement about some of your thoughts on other carriers, I hope that you keep in mind not everyone agrees with you.. might want to disclaimer that so we don't have a big flame war on yet ANOTHER innocent posting...
    Last edited by Ami.; 11-22-09 at 06:47 PM. Reason: I can't spell some days
    11-22-09 06:45 PM
    I'd just give it up altogether.

Also, while I'm in partial agreement about some of your thoughts on other carriers, I hope that you keep in mind not everyone agrees with you.. might want to disclaimer that so we don't have a big flame war on yet ANOTHER innocent posting...
    Isn't this a "no whining" zone? LOL.

I wrote it so of course it's my opinion.

Thanks but people need to lighten up.
    11-22-09 06:52 PM
    Canada already does 36 month contracts, which I think is disgusting. I can honestly say I sell 2-3 one year contracts every six months or so, which amounts to less than 1% of the total contracts I sell. How exactly are you sure it's more than that.
    I know and agree, it is. And I don't know definitively but 1% seems tiny, even so a choice is always good. Consequently you're one store and rep, I know one rep that did close to half of new acts with 12 months. It was basically you had to ask to get one, so yeah they were probably very uncommon. It's cool you were a rep that didn't mind doing them.

You're not paying $5.99 for an extended warranty. You're buying insurance, which the warranty now comes with.
    I understand but IMHO it's a waste of money.
    Last edited by SpyDude; 11-22-09 at 08:49 PM.
    11-22-09 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD