View Poll Results: A subsidy on a new device is:

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vital: I will not buy a new device without subsidy.

1 9.09%
  • Significant: I prefer a subsidized device, but might consider other options.

2 18.18%
  • Considered: It's a combination of device appeal and subsidy.

0 0%
  • Insignificant: The device is more important than the subsidy.

4 36.36%
  • Rejected: The subsidy carries downsides I'd rather avoid.

4 36.36%
    (I didn't know where else to post this, and since I requested a "general carrier discussion" forum, I thought this was not a bad place to put it.)

I am a Virgin Mobile Canada customer on a 'grandfathered' plan that is pretty competitive (it's not even a 'retentions' plan, it was just a plan I could get when I joined Virgin).

Needless to say, none of the current over-the-counter (off-the-shelf) plans are competitive... and we're not just talking $5 per month, it's more like 50% to 100% more per month for basically the same service that I have now.

So, what this means to me is that any notion of a phone subsidy from my carrier for going on a new contract is actually beyond a "false economy": I would be paying substantially more over the 2 year contract than I would save by getting a subsidized phone (iPhone 5S 64 gig: almost $400 SUBSIDIZED on a $80+ per month contract... really? Who does that?)

I'm wondering how many people still make their phone / carrier decisions largely influenced by a subsidized device. That is, how 'negotiable' is it for you to not get a full or even partial subsidy when you are making your smartphone purchasing decision.

In my circumstance, a subsidy is counter-productive... but I know that in other parts of the world, the subsidy is actually pretty attractive and the rates are more reasonable, so I'm curious about that, and why people are willing to lock in to a term for what is sometimes not very much of a device subsidy.
    anon721037 likes this.
    04-02-14 10:13 AM
    Would be very interesting if we had these results from a week ago.

But in Canada I think most people buy from a Carrier and they are attracted to the devices that have subsidies.... you are going to pay the same monthly rate anyway so why not use the discount?
    04-02-14 11:06 AM
    Would be very interesting if we had these results from a week ago.

But in Canada I think most people buy from a Carrier and they are attracted to the devices that have subsidies.... you are going to pay the same monthly rate anyway so why not use the discount?
    I am Telus customer for a year now. I got a Z10 at the signing of the contract. I bought Z30 outright. but when i got proposal to switch to Rogers for a corporate plan, the amount that I was going to pay for Z10 forced me to stay with Telus. If i didn't had this free phone - i could switch without a problem to a financially more beneficial carrier. To get the subsidy of about 500$ they make you sign a contract with 60-70$ monthly, while if coming to the same plan with the phone already, most of the carriers provide 10-15% discounts on these plans. But it is only my private view.
    04-03-14 09:05 AM
    Wow, times have changed. Device subsidies used to be "hidden" in the cost of the plan: now, the plans are the same price as they were a year ago, and depending on the device you purchase, you pay an EXTRA $10 to $20 per month, kind-of paying down a 'loan' for purchasing the device.

On another note, it seems like some of the Canadian MVNOs like Koodo and Virgin Mobile and Fido have been offering a plan at $55 for unlimited everything + 1 or 2 gig of data.

For me, 2 gig of data is cutting it kind-of close, but if they could do unlimited talk & text cross canada + 3 gig for $55, it might be enough to get me to switch.
    11-17-15 07:50 PM
    Wow, times have changed. Device subsidies used to be "hidden" in the cost of the plan: now, the plans are the same price as they were a year ago, and depending on the device you purchase, you pay an EXTRA $10 to $20 per month, kind-of paying down a 'loan' for purchasing the device.

On another note, it seems like some of the Canadian MVNOs like Koodo and Virgin Mobile and Fido have been offering a plan at $55 for unlimited everything + 1 or 2 gig of data.

For me, 2 gig of data is cutting it kind-of close, but if they could do unlimited talk & text cross canada + 3 gig for $55, it might be enough to get me to switch.
    yep the criminal cartel is alive and profitable in the Great White North.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    01-26-16 03:00 PM