Im flying out to canada( west calgary etc) next week and will put a monthy pay as you go sim in my Z30 to use when in canada for the few weeks as will work out cheaper then using my passport on roaming. Can someone give me advice please on which is the best carrier to use for this, need calls, text and data. Might hotspot the Z30 and use the data for my passport if possible. Do any do free calls to UK if you pay about $50 for the monthly plan etc ? as only need it for the two weeks im there.

Thanks

Anthony
    10-29-14 04:49 PM
    Canadian carriers are generally pretty expensive. Have you look at this service from 3 (the UK carrier) : Feel At Home - Phones - Discover - Three
    10-29-14 08:33 PM
    ive checked ThreeUK out but it wont work in Canada so need to find a decent Canadian mobile network for when im there
    10-30-14 05:21 AM
    Virgin tends to be pretty cheap in for pay as you go.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-30-14 05:43 AM
    Im flying out to canada( west calgary etc) next week and will put a monthy pay as you go sim in my Z30 to use when in canada for the few weeks as will work out cheaper then using my passport on roaming. Can someone give me advice please on which is the best carrier to use for this, need calls, text and data. Might hotspot the Z30 and use the data for my passport if possible. Do any do free calls to UK if you pay about $50 for the monthly plan etc ? as only need it for the two weeks im there.

Thanks

Anthony

Don't know how much data you need but if you buy a koodoo prepaid sim it costs 20 bucks but u get a 20 dollar discount when you register. Pay another 15 per month for unlimited text including international sent and received with picture included. Now buy 25 dollar anytime Canada minutes so u get 500 Canada wide minutes or 100 international minutes. Then buy 30 dollar 1 GB data.
    Now u have 30 days of unlimited international text, 100 international minutes (or 500 Canada wide) and 1 GB of data all in for 70. Doubt u will do better on such short term. Unused Data and minutes will roll over into next month if you keep the 15 dollar monthly base renewed. U may want to check out a higher base plan for local minutes etc.
    U can find prepaid Koodoo sims for less than 20 on ebay. Should be lots of free wifi around cow town.
    11-01-14 11:04 AM
    If your staying in Calgary, or even venturing out a little, maybe look at Wind as a carrier, wind.ca. $40 for unlimited global texting , Canada calling and data in wind zones in canada. There is an add on for calling UK where calls are pennies a min. This company only works to help you save $$ if your spending 90-100% of your time in the Wind zones otherwise you'll be roaming and paying add on fees which is fine if its rare that you'll be outside of a zone
    Check out their website

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:38 AM
    Thanks Dwaynie Boy, I will just be in calvary and Edmonton, so would the $40 all in work in both those towns?
    11-02-14 09:52 AM
    If your staying in Calgary, or even venturing out a little, maybe look at Wind as a carrier, wind.ca. $40 for unlimited global texting , Canada calling and data in wind zones in canada. There is an add on for calling UK where calls are pennies a min. This company only works to help you save $$ if your spending 90-100% of your time in the Wind zones otherwise you'll be roaming and paying add on fees which is fine if its rare that you'll be outside of a zone
    Check out their website

Posted via CB10
    Carefull, Wind and Mobility uses AWS GSM not found on many phones. I just bought a used Mobilicity unlocked BB Curve 9320 that cant connect to any of the Big 3 in Canada. Believe u need 1700/2100
    11-02-14 10:12 AM
    I'm gonna be using a BlackBerry Z30 and keeping my passport on UK
    11-02-14 10:15 AM
    Tagozulu is right about the frequencies so double check that your UK version Z30 has what it needs. Lots of people have commented how much better the Z30 and even more the Passport have worked on wind's network for reception. Both Edmonton and Calgary are part of their zones, checkout their map on their website. Have a safe trip

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:40 PM
    As a wind customer in toronto, the service will vary for each individual depending on where you stay and live, go for entertainment and all. Coverage maps are NEVER 100% Accurate, so if you do end up coming across a dead zone, well, that's to be expected. Found many in my area and in toronto (east beaches/ashbridges bay), there might be some in your area.

Before getting a pay before plan, ensure that the sim works in your Z30 and that it's unlocked beforehand. Safe trip!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-04-14 01:23 AM