I am going to be spending some time in Ontario over the next six months with a permanent more likely in the summer of 15. Any recommendations on which carrier I should chose and where / how to get a sim? All the online portals seem to ship domestically only.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 08:17 PM
    Where are you headed to up here? I would personally stay away from the smaller carriers...if you get into more rural areas out of major cities their networks get spotty . More than likely the big three are your best options..Rogers, Bell, or Telus. I'm personally on Rogers
    11-19-14 09:05 PM
    You gonna buy him a Timmies? Lol
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 09:06 PM
    Awe heck! I thought the answer was going to be summer.

Let me tweak that title a tad.
    11-19-14 09:07 PM
    What model and branding do you have now? I presume you want at least 3G.
    11-19-14 09:11 PM
    You gonna buy him a Timmies? Lol
    No he's not. Suck it up and get back to your Starbucks hammy!

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    BigBadWulf and GSM-S like this.
    11-19-14 09:32 PM
    BTW...you can usually find sim cards on ebay canada
    Reasonable

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-19-14 09:35 PM
    Thanks...so Rogers or Telus? going to be between London and the border with Michigan basically. I have both a z10 stl 100-3 and a z30 sta 100-5

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:11 PM
    Thanks...so Rogers or Telus? going to be between London and the border with Michigan basically. I have both a z10 stl 100-3 and a z30 sta 100-5

Posted via CB10
    Yep you have a long stretch of nothingness from from London to Windsor, so better to stay with a major Carrier. Just need to make sure your device is compatible with the carrier up here.

11-19-14 10:49 PM
    Yep you have a long stretch of nothingness from from London to Windsor, so better to stay with a major Carrier. Just need to make sure your device is compatible with the carrier up here.

Both models OP listed are compatible with all major carriers in Canada. If both are unlocked they only need a sim and a plan.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-19-14 11:56 PM
    Prepaid plans are the best in that case. Smaller carriers wouldn't make sense especially if you aren't going to be remaining in a single city, but always on the road.
    I'm a wind customer, been with wind since 2011 and it serves me well, the GTA is a big coverage area, including durham, peel(if I go over there again).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-22-14 04:27 AM
    Any changes since I first posted this? The phone I will be bringing is an STL 100-3 (Z10). Wifi calling would be a bonus if anyone does offer it as would texting to the US.
    10-06-15 08:04 PM
    Any changes since I first posted this? The phone I will be bringing is an STL 100-3 (Z10). Wifi calling would be a bonus if anyone does offer it as would texting to the US.
    If you'l lbe going to the US, then t-mobile offers UMA as far as I know, if not, then use WiFi for data and use IP/Softphone/voip applications.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    10-10-15 11:32 PM
    Public Mobile is really good and the plans are so much cheaper if you choose the 90 day plan vs the 30 day plan. All you need to do is go through the online self-serve and order a SIM and it'll get mailed to you within a week or two and you're all set. Ever since Telus bought Public Mobile out, they don't have physical stores anymore so everything has to be done online through Self-serve.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-11-15 02:31 AM
    Well, I've finally made it up there. A few changes: Ended up swapping out my Z30 for an unlocked AT&T iphone for work related apps. Started out with a Chatr Voice/Text sim which worked fine everywhere except the department where I work, where it had no signal. Meanwhile, my t-mobile phone roams onto Telus at work. So I'm guessing eventually when T-mobile notices that I'm spending a ton of time in Canada I'll have to move onto Telus (or Koodo?)
    02-17-16 01:23 PM
    Well, I've finally made it up there. A few changes: Ended up swapping out my Z30 for an unlocked AT&T iphone for work related apps. Started out with a Chatr Voice/Text sim which worked fine everywhere except the department where I work, where it had no signal. Meanwhile, my t-mobile phone roams onto Telus at work. So I'm guessing eventually when T-mobile notices that I'm spending a ton of time in Canada I'll have to move onto Telus (or Koodo?)
    Try Public Mobile(owned by Telus) .... Its only prepaid .... But u can auto pay monthly or every 90 days cycle.
    11-18-17 12:45 AM