Does anyone else notice or get automated calls which are displayed as local numbers, but are actually automated calls? They tend to be "press 1 for free item" calls.

Additionally, I've noticed with these calls, the numbers tend to be close to your own. For example, the area code + the first three digits match.

Does anyone else notice these types of calls?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-27-15 03:47 AM
    I get these on my landline phone in NY all the time.
    07-27-15 05:26 AM
    They're run by some scam artist organisation which is roughly impossible to tell where it's located UNLESS you can get it traced while on the phone and keeping them on long enough without the IP/software phone provider service dropping the call (happened to me 9 times when I intended to mess with them for kicks). Good luck. The numbers they use are spoofed. I had my own number call me numerous times over.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    08-14-15 08:52 PM
    Yes! I get these super annoying calls too. Usually from West jet or air canada although not really from them.
    11-08-15 09:16 AM
    I've also read somewhere that spammers are spoofing your area code to trick you into thinking it's a local call. I got one that said "hello, you've recently visited one of our member sites..."
    11-08-15 10:31 AM
    The recent ones I'm getting are from New York and its hilarious because when they announce the website, they say the url with forward slash at the end. Like "blah.us forward slash".

The ones that call saying I won a $2900 cruise needs to be killed with fire.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 03:57 PM
    I get these all the time, usually air canada...

Funny part is it starts with "due to your recent flight on air canada" and I've never been on an airplane...

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 10:14 PM
    I used to get these calls then I installed call blockers on both cell phone and landlines. No more calls.

"A cow pie ain't something you bring to the county fair "
    01-23-16 11:08 PM
    I used to get these calls then I installed call blockers on both cell phone and landlines. No more calls.

How do they work? I add each to my address book and I have yet to get a repeat call, always unique. So I'm curious how yours does the blocking short of making legit calls jump through hoops or whitelisting contacts only.
    01-23-16 11:32 PM
    How do they work? I add each to my address book and I have yet to get a repeat call, always unique. So I'm curious how yours does the blocking short of making legit calls jump through hoops or whitelisting contacts only.
    On my cell I use Call Blockr from BBW. You can blacklist, whitelist, and block 'undefined' numbers (numbers that don't show up in call logs). I learned that the numbers that were calling me were being spoofed because they were all local with the same area code and prefix. Anyway just kept adding numbers till the calling stopped. The app can also backup numbers as well.

01-25-16 08:33 AM
    Those calls are also targeting telus, rogers and bell customers, claiming they have either a deal, or a problem with the customer's account (they greet with "there is a problem with your telus account". Ha, I don't use telus, not since 2011. :P

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2.2876 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    02-23-16 02:38 PM