By many accounts the BlackBerry roll out of BB10 is going well and were still in the early innings. As the Q10 is getting set to release in the US.
    We've all seen the Q5 that in the pipe already and should be ready for launch by July.
    Almost everyone here is aware of the forthcoming Aristo, which is most likely my next BlackBerry. Currently loving my Z. The Aristo is set to launch by years end.
    The question remains, where is the talk of the Z5. IMO a Z5 BlackBerry will be the real EM smash hit. If the price point is attractive. BlackBerry already has the distribution channels. This baby should be a fantastic success.
    I guess there is just so much other BlackBerry stuff in the news right now to satisfy the masses.
    I peg the Z5 for a late summer or back to school release!
    Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dapper37; 06-01-13 at 01:41 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-01-13 01:01 AM
    I haven't heard anything about a Z5, and would actually be surprised to see one.
    06-01-13 01:24 AM
    Well, never say never I guess? I think they will focus on the A series though. Way more important to keep their reputation moving in the right direction.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:42 AM
    I haven't heard anything about a Z5, and would actually be surprised to see one.
    Why's that, there's a clear case for one! BlackBerry has stated 6 devices in calendar 2013.
    If not a Z5, are you saying the mid tier priced phone strategy consists only of a Q5?
    Of course a mid tier full touch doesn't have to be called a Z5 but I believe we will see one.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:46 AM
    Well, never say never I guess? I think they will focus on the A series though. Way more important to keep their reputation moving in the right direction.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you there. Indeed what your saying in a sense is the Z is the future mid tier device.
    With regards to reputation. A long delay in key markets if they even get it could suffice. I thinking the USA here.
    These would be focused on emerging markets. It's clear there is a market.
    Yet even advanced markets have demand for lower cost phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:54 AM
    The arrival of the Aristo will make the Z10 to be the "Z5"
    robtanz, kevinnugent and xBURK like this.
    06-01-13 03:51 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 04:39 AM
    The arrival of the Aristo will make the Z10 to be the "Z5"
    The Z5 would need to be a lower-end device compared to the Z10 anyway, no matter how the Aristo would change the status of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 07:39 AM
    Not too many phones in the first year please. I even have to see if the Aristo phone is going to come..
    06-01-13 07:43 AM
    I don't think that they will bring out another full touch device for the midrange segment this year.

If they are going to bring a high end full touch by the end of the year, then they are better off just selling the Z10 as a midrange device by then.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:31 AM
    The Z5 would need to be a lower-end device compared to the Z10 anyway, no matter how the Aristo would change the status of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    In just a couple more months the Z10 will be lower end, perhaps it already happened, in UK for example if a phone is free with a �35 monthly contract it's no longer high end. High end phones are free starting from �40-�45 monthly. The actual full price of the phone is irrelevant.
    06-01-13 08:46 AM
    In just a couple more months the Z10 will be lower end, perhaps it already happened, in UK for example if a phone is free with a �35 monthly contract it's no longer high end. High end phones are free starting from �40-�45 monthly. The actual full price of the phone is irrelevant.
    Of course it is...
    The average selling price BlackBerry gets from the carrier matters, a lot.

I never said, that compared to the competition, the Z10 has specs that are as high-end.
    I am talking about BlackBerry's own line up.

Until the Aristo arrives, the Z10 is BlackBerry's high-end offering.
    When the Aristo arrives, it will automatically degrade the Z10's status in BlackBerry's line up, but that doesn't mean anything for the possible Z5, as this phone would be BlackBerry's low-end offering.

Your carrier prices, have nothing to do with that.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:01 AM
    Maybe they'll call it the Storm 3...

Seriously though, I think BFD is on the right track. The Z10 is currently market as the high end. Once the Aristo comes out, the Z will be knocked down to mid range or low end status.
    06-01-13 10:27 AM
    Maybe they'll call it the Storm 3...

Seriously though, I think BFD is on the right track. The Z10 is currently market as the high end. Once the Aristo comes out, the Z will be knocked down to mid range or low end status.
    I'm thinking what could they possibly cut from the Z10 and why would anybody buy it? I feel it already struggles to run BB10 properly on it, cut the specs and the experience will be pretty bad. I say let the Z10 be the lowest specs full touch BB10 device.
    06-01-13 10:53 AM
    I've thought they needed a Z5-like device too. However, depending on when the Aristo is actually released they could knock the price down considerably on the Z10. On T-Mo, it was $531 full retail. It the Aristo is still, say, 6-8 months out they could knock another hundred off of the retail price and it would be reasonable as a mid-range device. The only problem is if it would continue to sell for its release price throughout its lifetime, like the 99xx did.
    06-01-13 11:05 AM
    I'm thinking what could they possibly cut from the Z10 and why would anybody buy it? I feel it already struggles to run BB10 properly on it, cut the specs and the experience will be pretty bad. I say let the Z10 be the lowest specs full touch BB10 device.

If that is true then BB is in trouble because both Samsung ( Android) and Nokia (WP8) offer phones in the mid tier price range AND lower.

BB can't just be a QWERTY king or can they ? I guess cheap data plans and BIS will keep BBOS chugging along for a while. Still, BB needs to improve on the BBOS phones that they sell in those markets... if for no other reason than to maintain the brand image. At the very least a 2.8 inch QWERTY.
    That way the users will have a modern smartphone experience with a low cost data plan. BB10 is best for mid tier and up phones in markets that do no rely on these cheap data plans.

Some say that the Z10 will be the mid tier device in due course. I would rather see gradual improvement of the Z10 spec's with a Z5 having lower specs.
    I expect to see a lower cost (mid tier ) Iphone this year rather than just continuing to sell the Iphone 4. On the other hand the Iphone 4 to 4S strategy worked well for Apple.
    Maybe a Z10 now and a Z10S later but sell both. I am not talking about the Aristo. The Z is similar in size to the new Galaxy Mini. Maybe a Z10 (lower mid tier) , Z10S (Mid Tier) and Aristo (Flagship). ??
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-01-13 at 01:29 PM.
    06-01-13 11:33 AM
    There's some pictures showing up over at berryflow.com very early type stuff but not the first time true devices presented themselves this way. Go see for yourself.

http://berryflow.com/blackberry-z5/

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-02-13 10:15 PM
    If there is a Z5, I guess the cpu will be lower clocked and the rear camera to be 5MP. I don't see what else can be lowered. The screen resolution has to be 720p to avoid fragmentation , and the ram has to be 2GB as well. I don't think it will be a lot cheaper than the Z10, maybe $150 cheaper at most
    06-02-13 11:16 PM
    The car era has less pics, it has 8gb instead of 16. It's basically half a 10. Hence Q5

Craig Ashcroft, BlackBerry Elites UK, Z10
    06-02-13 11:32 PM
    There doesn't have to be 2gb, they could probably lower it to 1.5 and be OK.
    06-03-13 12:22 AM