The time has come where I can't justify hunting down yet another hard to find otterbox for my increasingly less useful z30. Durable case availability is very important as I am a mechanic that uses his phone for work and this just destroys cases. Naked my phone would last a week, if that. I have an upgrade due at wind so my choices are :

Dtek 50. Looks decent and retains some blackberry functionality but has very poor heavy duty case selection.

Moro 4g plus 2 gig ram model. Better case selection but still not great. Better battery life's than the dtek and a fingerprint scanner i doubt would work with super greasy fingers.

lg G4 . Last years flagship with a large case selection for now. Generally better specs that the other two but i don't know how much difference that would make for me cause I don't game.

This may not belong in general discussion but I would be willing to bet many of you are in a similar situation.
    08-23-16 10:43 PM
    My wife recently went with the DTEK and is very happy with the change. More than a week in and the battery, for her needs, is proving better. We run an appraisal company and manage 5 emails with 1500 plus emails a week. The HUB and security were paramount in her/our decision. (I ordered the B&H bundle deal myself yesterday.) Great all touch device and the price is excellent.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    bakron1, blackmass and Avenzuno like this.
    08-24-16 12:44 AM
    The time has come where I can't justify hunting down yet another hard to find otterbox for my increasingly less useful z30. Durable case availability is very important as I am a mechanic that uses his phone for work and this just destroys cases. Naked my phone would last a week, if that. I have an upgrade due at wind so my choices are :

Dtek 50. Looks decent and retains some blackberry functionality but has very poor heavy duty case selection.

Moro 4g plus 2 gig ram model. Better case selection but still not great. Better battery life's than the dtek and a fingerprint scanner i doubt would work with super greasy fingers.

lg G4 . Last years flagship with a large case selection for now. Generally better specs that the other two but i don't know how much difference that would make for me cause I don't game.

This may not belong in general discussion but I would be willing to bet many of you are in a similar situation.
    I would go with a Priv, I have had mine since it was launched here in the US and it's been a solid device. The price has come down and I have seen them for 350.00 unlocked on Craigslist and eBay.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-24-16 04:32 AM
    Bakron, I played with a priv on display and it looks like and excellent device but it doesn't look like there are any cases available that would allow it to survive my usage.

As to the dtek suggestion, there are currently only two tougher cases available from lesser known companies and that makes me kind of nervous. In the two years I have had the z30, I have destroyed two defender, one commuter, and one aegis case. Oil swells the rubber which then leaves the screen vulnerable. Daily impacts from a height of 5ft are not uncommon.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 06:09 AM

Interesting post but it seems the only option you have left yourself is to find the case you consider suitable, and buy the corresponding phone that goes with it. There is always a way. LOL.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    08-24-16 08:19 AM
    This is a very solid case. I use it with all of my DTEK50s.

https://m.amzer.com/Amzer-Dual-Layer...ack-P98960.htm
    08-24-16 08:42 AM
    If you are into PKB then a Priv for $300 is the obvious choice, if not then go for a DTEK50.. Its the most suitable replacement for your Z30.
    08-24-16 09:21 AM
    If case is the issues than go for the more popular phone. You should have any issues finding a case.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 09:41 AM
    This is a very solid case. I use it with all of my DTEK50s.

https://m.amzer.com/Amzer-Dual-Layer...ack-P98960.htm

Five foot drop onto textured concrete solid? There seem to be two styles of armored case for the dtek neither by a major manufacturer. If either one turns out to be unsuitable or goes out of production, I am screwed. Since you have first hand experience with the dtek, how would you rate it against the g4?
    08-24-16 11:31 AM
    Five foot drop onto textured concrete solid? There seem to be two styles of armored case for the dtek neither by a major manufacturer. If either one turns out to be unsuitable or goes out of production, I am screwed. Since you have first hand experience with the dtek, how would you rate it against the g4?
    Amzer is one of the biggest case makers. They have that same style for many devices, so perhaps you can read about some of the reviews. It appears very solid to me.

Of course I really like the Blackberry software, and the instant updates, so it's hard to compare to the G4. Although it feels great in the hand, and is just as quick.
    08-24-16 12:04 PM
    It appears the lg suffers from hardware issues related to heat and the moto also tends to get warm fast. Apparently, Pokmon go is a phone killer. What's up with all these androids frying and dieing?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 09:59 AM
    I have an LG G4 and have never fried it. I don't play games on it and never played Pokemon Go. I DO know that it has a kick *** camera and there are still cases available for it even though the phone is over a year old.
    08-25-16 07:13 PM
    I figured usage had a lot to do with what units failed and which lasted longer. Heat induced failure of solder joints is the downfall of many an electronic device. I had an original Xbox 360 last eight years by keeping it well ventilated and limiting my gaming session to a couple of hours. I also have an acer laptop that has been running continually for five years in horrific conditions. Thermal cycling is a killer.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 08:57 PM
    Bakron, I played with a priv on display and it looks like and excellent device but it doesn't look like there are any cases available that would allow it to survive my usage.

As to the dtek suggestion, there are currently only two tougher cases available from lesser known companies and that makes me kind of nervous. In the two years I have had the z30, I have destroyed two defender, one commuter, and one aegis case. Oil swells the rubber which then leaves the screen vulnerable. Daily impacts from a height of 5ft are not uncommon.

Posted via CB10
    Do you use a belt holster or keep it in your pocket? Holsters come in all sizes, not expensive, and the phone won't fall out. I use a fixed horizontal belt holster with my Z30, and the phone has never fallen out, even when I'm riding my horse, which is pretty bouncy.
    The one I have for the Z30 is advertised for a Samsung. You just have to be sure it's big enough for whatever case you use.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>< Lumia950
    08-26-16 10:11 AM
    I had the defenders with the belt clip and the rest of the time it was in my pocket or on top of my toolbox. Most of the case destruction happened in the shop from oil contamination and slips out of greasy hands. The phone came out pretty much unscathed but the cases swelled or shattered. I my phone to send my clients pic or vid of what I find wrong with their car so a good camera is a plus. Is the dtek camera as good as the passport?

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 11:13 AM
    Ended up taking a dtek for an extended test drive. Let's see how this pans out. After BB 10, Android inspires severe culture shock. So far the battery reminds me of the z10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-27-16 10:31 PM
    Ended up taking a dtek for an extended test drive. Let's see how this pans out. After BB 10, Android inspires severe culture shock. So far the battery reminds me of the z10.

I hope the battery gets better!

08-28-16 04:55 AM

Yep, I would have guessed so. Not a power-user device for extended (ab)use.....?

Had a little crisis with my ageing Passport battery this weekend... :-(

  "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "  
    08-28-16 04:41 PM
    I didn't find the passport battery all that great. I had way better life out of the z30. Go figure.

08-28-16 05:14 PM
    I went from Z30 to PP and love the switch. Z30 better battery? Not possible. Could have been a bad app, towers or still settling.
    08-28-16 08:05 PM
    Never got two days out of the passport but I have done that with the z30. Didn't use android apps on the passport.

08-28-16 09:15 PM
    When it comes to impact damage, aren't the Blackberries one of the sturdier phones you can buy? I've dropped my Q10 lots of times and it hardly has a scratch on it.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 09:29 PM
    You should get the Lumia and dual layer case I have listed on the marketplace.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-16 07:06 AM