So, now that all this has been lauched what should we do.
    I think that the Z10 is a great phone, but is there any solid dates for the 'high-end' devices?

I would rather get a device that has more power if possible... my only concern is that the 'leak' for the Aristo said it was 4.65 screen (which i like) but that Thor said that the resolutions for the touch/physical will stay the same. What does that mean?

Does anyone have any advice?

I can leave my contract now without penalty, or wait until august when it ends.
    01-30-13 04:38 PM
    Hardware for the Z10 was underwhelming. I understand they're no in the spec race. But it was very underwhelming. Dual core, cool. But S4 Plus?? It leaves a lot more to be desired.

I'm hoping RIM, I mean BlackBerry, is watching reception of the new device and OS closely. Especially its shortcomings and work on it.

I hope the Aristo has gotten updated specs, 1080p screen, and a Snapdragon 800 processor. RAM can stay the same for all I care. But I don't want to buy a phone that's already pretty outdated. And definitely better camera.

I understand this was supposed to come out a year ago, and changing things would have delayed it more. But this felt like a mid-range device launch, here's to hoping for Aristo.

Also Thorsten Heins shouldn't have hyped it up, "Most comprehensive launch", "We're going to do a Muhammad Ali round 8 thing. Wednesday is round 8". "Many surprises to come at launch."

But I do love the OS though. I love how quick it is, and how you can do what you need to. But CB's OS review brings up the same points I thought would be a problem. Not being able to jump into the hub from the lock screen. Or having to go back to the home screen after going into HUB to go back into the app you were in.
    01-30-13 05:23 PM
    no dates for anything else

do not wait
    01-30-13 05:25 PM
    my only thing about not waiting is that i will have to dish out for the aristo... and if the Z10 is $650 i can only imagine what the Aristo would be, $650 FOR SURE
    01-30-13 05:30 PM
    There's always going to be a better version on the horizon. Why wait - enjoy the best you can get today (or next week).
    JR A, calicocat2010 and BB12MX like this.
    01-30-13 05:50 PM
    I hope the Aristo has gotten updated specs, 1080p screen, and a Snapdragon 800 processor. RAM can stay the same for all I care. But I don't want to buy a phone that's already pretty outdated. And definitely better camera.
    Seriously?

Do you know WHY they don't make 32" TVs in 1080p? Because you can't tell the difference at 720p! And you're concerned about it on a 4.2" screen? It already has a higher pixel density than iPhone's "Retina" display!

Faster processor? You put a HEMI in a truck, not on a sport bike. With efficient coding (like QNX) you don't need horsepower to overcome bulk.

You think you need better than an 8MP camera? You DO know that anything after 5MP is hindered by the ****ty optics found in ALL phones?

It's time you get a reality check
    01-30-13 06:03 PM
    Seriously?

Do you know WHY they don't make 32" TVs in 1080p? Because you can't tell the difference at 720p! And you're concerned about it on a 4.2" screen? It already has a higher pixel density than iPhone's "Retina" display!

Faster processor? You put a HEMI in a truck, not on a sport bike. With efficient coding (like QNX) you don't need horsepower to overcome bulk.

You think you need better than an 8MP camera? You DO know that anything after 5MP is hindered by the ****ty optics found in ALL phones?

agree

ridiculous that people are talking about "updated specs" not sure how the device is outdated if performance is good?
    Savior4Life and gmoneyyo like this.
    01-30-13 06:05 PM
    yea...but 1080 is higher than 720 ...
    01-30-13 06:07 PM
    Seriously?

I see the RIM attitude is trickling down to its die hard fans. RIM got their reality check when they didn't believe in a camera in a phone. Or a phone being used as a music device.

I agree I might not "need" that stuff. Also I'm not even talking about the Z10. And when competitors have been coming out with specs that a large step above their offering. Yeah, not working. At 4.65", a 720p screen isn't even "Retina" quality anymore.

So you either pick, put something that is "unneeded" or have a display that has a worse density than it's previous offering.

With efficient coding, a HEMI on a sports bike will have your *** flying. And it will definitely turn heads. Benchmarks are reality.

And I don't need better than a 8MP camera. Never said that, but comparing to competitors, camera quality is lacking. Optics might be ****ty in all phones. But Z10's camera isn't as great as its competitors. Read: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-fail-765576/

I'm a die hard BB fan. And I do hope BB succeeds. But RIM's been feeling the consequence of their reality check. Which was lackluster hardware, along with old software. One down, another one to go.
    01-30-13 06:32 PM
    the problem wit hthe Giz camera test is that all the pictures EXCEPT the Z10 framed the figure in one way. What people fail to realize is that these 'tests' are nothing more than further manipulation.

how can you take a DIFFERENT picture with a phone and say it isnt the same... well... yea, it is DIFFERENT because you made it that way.
    gmoneyyo and JR A like this.
    01-30-13 06:46 PM
    Seriously?

It's funny how he/she says in the same post that the phone should have a 1080p screen and camera with more pixels than 8MP.

Yet, 1080p is only about 2.5MP... Yeah, that makes sense... I guess we really do need 4.2" screen with more than 356 pixels per inch.
    Savior4Life likes this.
    01-30-13 06:51 PM
    Realistically, the question is not about 720p/1080p or whatever, while you would notice some differences, the crucial point to consider over the z10 or waiting for something else is simply do you want a phone that you can comfortably use one-handed or would you prefer a larger device that needs two hands.
    01-30-13 06:59 PM
    I like a larger screen. But im just debating if waiting for the extra half inch is worth missing out on BB10 for all these months. I want it now!

I guess BB has spoiled us!
    01-30-13 09:48 PM
    the problem wit hthe Giz camera test is that all the pictures EXCEPT the Z10 framed the figure in one way. What people fail to realize is that these 'tests' are nothing more than further manipulation.

how can you take a DIFFERENT picture with a phone and say it isnt the same... well... yea, it is DIFFERENT because you made it that way.
    You're joking right? Every tech site apparently has some vendetta against BlackBerry? That picture was garbage and would still be garbage if they were standing in the exact same spot. None of those pictures are exactly the same angle. The camera is average at best and denial isn't going to change it.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-30-13 09:58 PM
    No one is buying it for the camera, but damn, did they even test the stage before the launch? That timeshift image looked like time****.
    01-30-13 10:57 PM
    It's funny how he/she says in the same post that the phone should have a 1080p screen and camera with more pixels than 8MP.

Yet, 1080p is only about 2.5MP... Yeah, that makes sense... I guess we really do need 4.2" screen with more than 356 pixels per inch.
    If you're talking about me, if you really bothered to read my post. You'd know I'm not even talking about the Z10. And second, I never mentioned MP. There's more to a camera than just MP. I swear you guys like to hear whatever you want to hear.

They took a picture, in the SAME lighting! Where they captured the image shouldn't matter. If it does, about 75% of the image is the same as the others. And the other pictures are framed differently too. Z10 just moreso. Probably because it includes something brighter above the character. Basically, for all you know, that picture by the Z10 was probably the best one taken out of the ones they took.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. If I am, back your points to explain how so.
    01-30-13 11:31 PM
    I'll put it this way for everybody. If they do not sell the Z10 there will not be an Aristo. Idk why everybody is complaining before you have seen the device in person and used it. I think the camera is mainly software problems and will probably be better when they release a patch for it. Its weird though because all of the leaked pics and ones from the dev alpha looked decent in low light so I am really suprised. In 10.1 though we need to see more features in the core native apps(better maps, voice control with prediction like google now,) and I am really hoping they include a bunch of cool features even if they are useless just like Samsung does cough *S Beam* cough.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-30-13 11:57 PM
    buy it, keep it in mint shape then sell it and upgrade when the next one comes out. Your waiting for this fablet phone. Im waiting for an asian manufacter to license BB10 in a super 4.2" phone with an amazing camera in it, im talking as good if not better then a 100$ pocket digital camera. Id pay the extra money in a heart beat. But im not goona wait with this 9900, Z10 on feb 5 here I come.
    01-31-13 12:03 AM
    Waiting for Aristo is worse than waiting for godot.
    01-31-13 12:08 AM
    Seriously?

No amount of efficient coding with QNX will make the Adreno 230 GPU in the Z10 render 3D graphics anywhere near as good as the Tegra 4, the A5X in the iPhone 5 and the S4 pro/ Sanpdragon 800.
    i'm not saying the Z10 NEEDS those specs but arguing that specs are irrelevant is just plain wrong.

He's talking about a better camera...Megapixel count isn't everything. If you think all 8MP cameras are automatically the same, you really need to do WAY more research. Lumia 920 has an 8MP camera like the iPhone 5 but takes way better low light photos, for example. Nearly every review out there says the Z10 camera delivers performance inferior to other 8MP flagships like the One X, Lumia 920, S3, Note II and the iPhone 5. He's asked for a better camera, not a megapixel bump.

It's time YOU got a reality check. OEMs are improving optics in phones all the time.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-31-13 02:23 AM
    I'm getting the Z10, you can wait if you want to.

I'm in it for the BB10 experience (which is very fluid and smooth on the Z10 according to reports), not for the I've got a bigger wang CPU than you, argument.

Si.
    01-31-13 02:27 AM
    Why is it underwhelming ? maybe the QNX BB10 does not need more than that, you can see on YouTube the comparisons with WP, iPhone, and galaxy 3 where BB10 is faster in many ways,

Ex: Why would you need a 6000 CC engine, when you have a 3.6 CC Nissan Skyline GT-R that's faster than most of the higher cil. and cc's cars out there ??
    01-31-13 06:24 AM
    This is an interesting topic. I actually thought about this myself. If the USA and Australia get this in a couple months, it could be around the time leaks for a third device come out. After-all, by then, there are 8 months remaining in the year and 4 devices to be released. I could see Blackberry releasing another device a couple months after Q10 in USA.

I guess if you need to upgrade then you need to, but for those who have waited this long, maybe they will wait until the next release.
    01-31-13 07:52 AM
    What you have to remember about the remaining devices is that the lower ends will most likely come out before the higher end ones. I think it would be best to get everyone on board, so the lower ends would do that better than the higher ends since we already have z/q
    01-31-13 01:40 PM
    The spec game really does have reached ridiculousness lately. Mostly in my opinion to blame on the arms race in the Android scene. 1080p screens are absolute nonsense at 4.2 inch. At 'phablet' size phones it may make SOME sense but on phones like the Z10 it would be a complete overkill. You cannot see those extra pixels except for with a magnifying glass and it would only put more strain on battery life and the GPU. Those 1080p phones HAVE to have quad-core CPU's and other beefy specs or they would run slow. My wife has a Galaxy Note 2 which has a quad core CPU but it definitely doesn't run smoother than a Z10. Oh, and even at that size I do think the 720p resolution looks perfectly acceptable.

Apparently Android is so unoptimized that it needs insane hardware to run fast. Even Apple doesn't appear to be joining this ridiculous specs-race and obviously they don't need to because iOS runs fine on their hardware as well. Mostly smoother than Android on the most powerful hardware available.

Most Apple fans aren't really concerned with the fact that their phones have lesser specs than the latest Android phones from Samsung / HTC etc. They don't even advertise RAM amounts, CPU clock speed etc. Because they don't have to. And neither does BlackBerry. Heck, Windows Phone 8 doesn't need to do it either. That OS too runs great even on mediocre hardware. No slowdowns or whatsoever.

The only vendors that need this spec race are Android vendors because specs are the only tool for them to use to distinguish themselves from other Android vendors. If a HTC and a Samsung both run the same Android OS then specs are the only thing that will sway consumers from the one to the other.

So to those who do care about specs: Feel free to wait for the next 8-core, 4GB RAM Android device that will still occasionally stutter, have apps crash and have abysmal battery life. I'll take a Z10.
    01-31-13 01:59 PM
40 12