i am actually wondering... (i'm sorry if someone or a thread answered this) .

to those who bought Z10, how much is the average price of the apps available now? is it the same like OS4-7 prices? around USD0.99-1.99/app?
    i read somewhere Angry Bird costs USD1. but currently is FREE.

any idea on the prices?
    Don't know if someone answered this already but when Angry Bird Star Wars was first announced (before it went free), it had a price tag of $0.99. Angry Birds Star Wars Jedi mind tricks its way onto BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    02-02-13 11:33 AM
    Also, don't forget that BlackBerry gave out hundreds of Z10 at the launch to influential people. The 1 month wait can help build momentum through those people's use and word of mouth.
    That's quite possible. When the device is released in the US there will [should] be more positivity online with people getting to use it, and with good sale numbers in the UK and Canada, some Americans may just see a reason to buy it.
    02-02-13 11:38 AM
    Same here, I'm getting **** trying to find an unlocked Z10 at CPW or Phones4U online!
    02-02-13 12:11 PM
    What were the stores saying? Did they say demand is crazy? Did they have a lot of units on hand initially?
    Sorry, did not ask. Phones4U had one left, which was reserved for instore pickup. CPW 'All gone. Not sure when we will have more in'
    02-02-13 12:14 PM
    Same here, I'm getting **** trying to find an unlocked Z10 at CPW or Phones4U online!
    I ordered my sim free one from Phones4u (online) around 4pm. Delivery in 48 hours. Not had email re exact delivery yet, but they have taken the money !!
    02-02-13 12:16 PM
    Been to a Phones4U Kiosk inside a Currys store today. They'd sold out, originally had 4 Black and 4 White.

I also have been into a Vodafone and another P4U store last night both said that there had been a good amount of interest and they'd sold a few. I think 3 at the Vodafone store yesterday

Glad I ordered online and expecting delivery on Monday
    02-02-13 12:17 PM
    So glad I preordered through rogers here in Canada...
    02-02-13 12:20 PM
    hah Turning mine on NOW just taking sd card out of lovely old qwerty.
    02-02-13 12:28 PM
    I ordered my sim free one from Phones4u (online) around 4pm. Delivery in 48 hours. Not had email re exact delivery yet, but they have taken the money !!
    Just checked again. A bit awkward trying to get sim-free phones, they have them tucked in a corner . I want to reserve the phone though, I don't need it until Friday/Saturday when I'm back in the country. Guess I have to get it from Phones4u when I get back. CPW doesn't seem to offer the Z10 Sim-free
    02-02-13 12:29 PM
    I HATE YOU (Until I get mine)
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    02-02-13 12:29 PM
    In case you were in any doubt, I hate you.
    anon(4086547) and 00stryder like this.
    02-02-13 12:32 PM
    Interesting and quite positive numbers. This will have a positive knock on effect with sales and future app development.

Folks, when I look at the big picture, it appears to me that the US delay was planned from the start. A little bit of smart marketing by good old Frank. Get the ball moving in a market that will give you sales and the momentum builds. Silence the "DOA" and "too little, too late". Way to play it RIM opps BB.
    Quite possible. And a flop in the US on day one would have been a disaster. Better they went to more favorable markets to get momentum going. Plus, I truly think they did not have enough world wide stock to supply the US this early. A sell out and long wait for re-stock in the US would also have been bad. US has Superbowl add tomorrow. Thereafter, if we see a lot of adds from Samsung, Apple, Droid, bashing the Berry, then we'll know they're scared. Perhaps BBRY's strategy as well.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-02-13 12:42 PM
    250.000 represent 0.83% of all the smartphones in UK. When people buy a new phone they use it a lot, let's suppose a 2x of browsing. That web traffic is not showing up in the Statcounter data for UK (BlackBerry market share).
    1/29/2013 14.85%
    1/30/2013 14.94%
    1/31/2013 14.76%
    2/01/2013 14.85%
    I'm just one data point, but for what it's worth, I've had the Z10 since Wednesday and have hardly done any web browsing. The browser is fast and excellent, but there's just too much other good stuff to play with and explore that I've hardly had a chance to surf much.
    02-02-13 12:50 PM
    One thing you guys forget about the BIS. They won't have the overhead of maintaining the system. So the cost they actually make per device off of the BIS will be less than what they charge.
    Not to put a damper on this thread.. as I personally don't beleive the loss of service revenue is a problem.. Blackberry is moving to the same profit on hardware/software model apple uses and does quite well with.. I think that's great and the right move so no issues there.. BUT I do need to correct the point above..while the revenue directly from service will dwindle over the next years (and again, i'm not saying they won't easily replace that revenue and more from other sources) the cost of maintaining the NOC will not decrease substantially.. in fact the cost of running BIS services will actually start to weigh on them in later years as they will be required to maintain it right to the bleeding end with less and less users taking advantage of it. You have to remember that for BB4,5,6,7, devices BIS isn't just a value added service.. those devices physically don't work without it, so they can't turn it off until the last user has made the migration.. and while most people will migrate over the next few years.. there are die hard resistant to change folks out there still holding on to Blackberry 8700's from 2005. That's an 8 years!! I remember when I was working for Rogers, we decided to finally cut the power to the old legacy network.. had probably been nearly 10 years since we had switched to GSM.. people came inn carrying 20 year old bag phones!! We tried to appease them by giving them new phones for free that fit in their pocket.. but these 90 year old war vets would look at you like the damn thing was from outer space.. eventually RIM will likely have to offer replacements to the remaining few thousand hold outs around the world if they really want to kill off BIS, but that's going to be YEARS and the cost of operation will more or less remain as it moves from full capacity to a handful of people using it.

AGAIN! Not trying to be negative.. I have all the confidence in the world that this was the right move for Blackberry.. but we can't pretend like no longer offering sign ups results in the cost of operation vanishing over night. (All that also leaves out the fact that they plan to continue selling BB7 devices in emerging markets for the next few years)
    00stryder and playboldbook like this.
    02-02-13 12:57 PM
    Link please!
    London Calling On The BB10 - Seeking Alpha . But it seems you have to register to see the full article. Whomever has access, mind copying-n-paste it here?

And about BB running out of revenue with lack of BIS, that's true but I'm sure they're not sitting around doing nothing about it. The investors will most definitely want to see what plan they have to resolve this issue in their next quarterly report (or something like that).
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-02-13 01:04 PM
    250.000 represent 0.83% of all the smartphones in UK. When people buy a new phone they use it a lot, let's suppose a 2x of browsing. That web traffic is not showing up in the Statcounter data for UK (BlackBerry market share).
    1/29/2013 14.85%
    1/30/2013 14.94%
    1/31/2013 14.76%
    2/01/2013 14.85%
    I don't think you can tell anything accurately from the Statcounter information in the short term. It does seem useful for looking at longer term trends, but on a short term basis, any impact of new phones seems to be outweighed by daily variation.

For example, the iPhone 5 launch didn't result in any meaningful change in the UK. On launch day iOS share went up 0.11% vs. one week before, but two days later it was down 0.35%.

The BB numbers dropped significantly from 20.49% on Jan 24, down to 13.88% on Jan 27, but went back up to 18.19% on Feb 2. There's some massive swings there that seem pretty odd, and those 5-7% changes would easily obscure the impact of any new smartphone traffic.
    02-02-13 01:20 PM
    London Calling On The BB10
    February 1, 2013 | 66 commentsby: Michael Collins | about: RIMM Disclosure: I am long RIMM. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article. (More...)
    A lot has happened since my last and fortuitous Blackberry (a.k.a. Research in Motion) (RIMM) piece when the stock was sub $7 and I called a buy. The stock has run to $18 only to retreat on a mixture of:

� Sell the news

� Investor disappointment at US launch dates on both models

� Short hedge funds creaming the stock intraday to cause a little panic

The shares sit around $13 now and what are investors to do now?

{More here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1150311}
    Last edited by Michelle Haag; 03-05-13 at 10:53 PM. Reason: notice from seeking alpha
    02-02-13 01:49 PM
    Extremely positive news. Misek does say that 'sell in' is in the hundreds of thousands so that's not exact sales, since it came out yesterday. Still, it shows that UK carriers are confident if they've bought that much inventory.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    02-02-13 02:04 PM
    i dont get why seeking alpha are looking at ebay in the US, the phone isnt available in the US so it stands to reason it would gain a premium from those that want to be first.

the channel checks paint a far more reasonable picture as they are a snapshot of a market where the device is available, and it does seem they are selling rather well.

another thing worth looking at is on both phones4u.co.uk and carphonewarehouse.co.uk (which ironically seeking alpha spelt wrong lol) the customer reviews are for the most part very positive. phones4u for example has 14 reviews, of which one was definitley there before available so really 13 lol. 12 would reccomend and the marks they all give are very high. now look at phones4u 9900 reviews.....all 7 of em. not a valid metric, but more a showing of consumer satisfaction.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-02-13 02:19 PM
    Not to put a damper on this thread.. as I personally don't beleive the loss of service revenue is a problem.. Blackberry is moving to the same profit on hardware/software model apple uses and does quite well with.. I think that's great and the right move so no issues there.. BUT I do need to correct the point above..while the revenue directly from service will dwindle over the next years (and again, i'm not saying they won't easily replace that revenue and more from other sources) the cost of maintaining the NOC will not decrease substantially.. in fact the cost of running BIS services will actually start to weigh on them in later years as they will be required to maintain it right to the bleeding end with less and less users taking advantage of it. You have to remember that for BB4,5,6,7, devices BIS isn't just a value added service.. those devices physically don't work without it, so they can't turn it off until the last user has made the migration.. and while most people will migrate over the next few years.. there are die hard resistant to change folks out there still holding on to Blackberry 8700's from 2005. That's an 8 years!! I remember when I was working for Rogers, we decided to finally cut the power to the old legacy network.. had probably been nearly 10 years since we had switched to GSM.. people came inn carrying 20 year old bag phones!! We tried to appease them by giving them new phones for free that fit in their pocket.. but these 90 year old war vets would look at you like the damn thing was from outer space.. eventually RIM will likely have to offer replacements to the remaining few thousand hold outs around the world if they really want to kill off BIS, but that's going to be YEARS and the cost of operation will more or less remain as it moves from full capacity to a handful of people using it.
    IMO they will leverage this infrastructure for their plans in M2M.
    02-02-13 02:20 PM
    Originally Posted by W Hoa

Last I read BlackBerry was producing 2 million devices per month or 46 every minute assuming a 24/7 production rate. At just one telco they are allegedly selling at 10 per minute. I can see problems here
    Why? Not questioning your theory, just wondering why, in your opinion, there could be problems.
    Well....it was just a bit of fun with numbers. Assuming a 12 hour selling period, if one telco is hypothetically selling 10 phones per minute (over 12 hours) and BlackBerry is producing 47 phones a minute (over 24 hours) then a single telco is selling the equivalent of 5 phones per minute over a similar time.

If it only takes one telco in the UK to sell 10% of all BB10 production then multiplying that by several telcos, well, not much will be left for the rest of us outside the UK. In other words, it's a good problem to have, but BlackBerry had better increase production and damn fast.
    bungaboy and ctuffy like this.
    02-02-13 02:59 PM
    It'll be interesting to see how Z10 does in the States. Regardless of what people say, it IS the most important market, not only because it's a huge market, but also because the States have so much influence through Media, movies, pop culture, etc.
    DJM626 likes this.
    02-02-13 03:03 PM
    It'll do fine cause it's so nice. Mate's got the iPhone4s and he was surprised as to how cool the BB looks and the screen is gorgeous! All good things come to those.... America you won't be disappointed!
    02-02-13 03:50 PM
    UK Z10's fetching high prices on eBay in the US. Might be another reason they are selling so well. Saw one just sold for 1200USD.
    02-02-13 04:15 PM
    It'll be interesting to see how Z10 does in the States. Regardless of what people say, it IS the most important market, not only because it's a huge market, but also because the States have so much influence through Media, movies, pop culture, etc.
    Not at all, BlackBerry could survive if they had decent following in UK, Canada, India, and Asia.
    U.S isn't fully needed...
    twstd.reality likes this.
    02-02-13 04:35 PM
185 ... 34567 ...