Hi,

Looking for some help from experts in this forum.

I have a Z10 (STL100-3), 16G, running 10.2.0.429, no mSD installed for extra storage.

I plug the phone into a PC running Window XP, expected it to show up as a drive but it did not, XP detected the RIM device but cannot find the driver to install. Since I do not have a mSD card installed, I do not see the USB Mass Storage on/off switch in Settings/Storage and Access.

I tried plugging the Z10 into a Linux system, it does not come up neither.

My questions are:

1. Is there another way to access the USB Mass Storage on/off switch
    2. Is there a way to make XP recognize the Z10 as a USB drive without having to install the BB LInk? I see a suggestion in another forum to install BB link, then uninstall just to get the BB USB driver to install, do I really have to do that?

All I want to do is to be able to quickly copy files to/from Z10, since we have a number of laptops/desktops around the house, would be a pain to have to install BB Link on each one.

Thanks in advance.
    12-14-13 01:23 PM
    Hi and welcome. The only way I can see my BB as a USB drive to drag and drop files is with my SD card. i went to settings/ storage and access/ and at the very bottom toggled ON USB Mass Storage.

I don't know if it works that way if you do not have a card. Sorry.
    12-14-13 01:27 PM
    Hi,

Looking for some help from experts in this forum.

I have a Z10 (STL100-3), 16G, running 10.2.0.429, no mSD installed for extra storage.

I plug the phone into a PC running Window XP, expected it to show up as a drive but it did not, XP detected the RIM device but cannot find the driver to install. Since I do not have a mSD card installed, I do not see the USB Mass Storage on/off switch in Settings/Storage and Access.

I tried plugging the Z10 into a Linux system, it does not come up neither.

My questions are:

1. Is there another way to access the USB Mass Storage on/off switch
    2. Is there a way to make XP recognize the Z10 as a USB drive without having to install the BB LInk? I see a suggestion in another forum to install BB link, then uninstall just to get the BB USB driver to install, do I really have to do that?

All I want to do is to be able to quickly copy files to/from Z10, since we have a number of laptops/desktops around the house, would be a pain to have to install BB Link on each one.

Thanks in advance.
    It takes 5 mins to install Link, instead of wasting 45 mins attempting to figure out how not to install Link. Why frustrate yourself? Once the device drivers are installed, you can close Link - drivers run in the background.
    12-14-13 02:05 PM
    Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

I do not have a SD card installed in the phone, so I do not see the USB Mass Storage on/off switch toggle. I thought I read somewhere that there is a shortcut (gesture) to bring up a one time USB Mass Storage on/off toggle.
    12-14-13 02:10 PM
    Use Dropbox on your phone. Move the files you want to download into a Dropbox folder. Then sign into your Dropbox account from the PC, and you will be able to move them to your computer.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    12-14-13 02:15 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

Reason why I want to find a way to turn Z10 into USB mass storage which can be recognized by PC (linux or XP) is because we have many PCs in the house, installing BB Link on each PC then uninstall it may not take too much time but I just thought there must be a easier way.

Also, I share files with my colleagues at work often, I don't think they would appreciate installing yet another piece of software just to access a phone.

Just can't understand why BB10 wants to make accessing the user files (photos, videos, documents) so difficult, should behave just like a camera or GPS, plug in and immediately shows up as a drive for access.
    12-14-13 03:06 PM
    With Dropbox you can create folders that You can share with specific people. Go to the Dropbox website where you can get all of the information and see if it's right for you.

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    12-14-13 03:16 PM
    You could install Link, but just not ever run it. But it is a bit of a pain to have to do that.

It could be because of the new BB10 OS that the internal memory can't be accessed directly as removable storage, while any installed SD card could be.

When Link is installed, it also loads drivers that mounts the internal memory as network drives. And that's the only way it allows access externally. Why BlackBerry doesn't provide a way to install just the drivers without Link, I don't know.

I also wish the drivers could be configured to call the network drives user definable letters instead of being forced to use "Z" for the internal and "Y" for the SD card if one is installed. It messed up my own home networking where we already had "Z" mapped to one of our PCs and it screwed up where some of our programs were looking for certain things. Any time I plug my Z10 into that PC, I have to remap the "Z:\" drive back to the proper PC when I'm done.

But, at the moment, there is no way around it.

My advice, go to Walmart and get a cheap 8GB SD card for less than 10 bucks and be done with it. Then mass storage mode will work.

Full disclosure: I'm still using a 4GB card I got at Walmart 4 years ago for 12 bucks for the BB Pearl 8100 I had at the time.

Posted via CB10
    emanresu7 likes this.
    12-14-13 04:26 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

Reason why I want to find a way to turn Z10 into USB mass storage which can be recognized by PC (linux or XP) is because we have many PCs in the house, installing BB Link on each PC then uninstall it may not take too much time but I just thought there must be a easier way.

Also, I share files with my colleagues at work often, I don't think they would appreciate installing yet another piece of software just to access a phone.

Just can't understand why BB10 wants to make accessing the user files (photos, videos, documents) so difficult, should behave just like a camera or GPS, plug in and immediately shows up as a drive for access.
    You seem to want to pass the blame on BB10, when it is you making this task difficult all on your own.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    12-14-13 11:24 PM
    If you have a wifi network you can turn on wifi sharing on the device and access your files that way

Edit:

Try any of this
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    12-15-13 12:08 AM
    The OP probably won't like those options either. Seems to ONLY want the USB to connect to the device memory without a media card.

Any other option is too difficult....
    12-16-13 03:02 PM
    Buy a memory card for your phone and your issue is magically solved.

https://www.google.com/#q=micro+memo...09450143635381
    12-16-13 03:08 PM