PC Mag: "The addition of the NFC chip to the iPhone isn't for easy credit card purchases, but so the phone companies can control your financial transactions. Be warned."

iPhone Users Are About to Be Screwed Over | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-24-11 05:21 AM
    sorry, good info it might be but reading Dvorak is like pulling out your fingernails with a set of pliers. im my view of the world, this guy is a tool.

this is why i say what i do. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49669860398431
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-24-11 at 11:37 AM.
    12-24-11 11:34 AM
    very interesting....
    12-24-11 12:16 PM
    It will suck if carriers charge a fee for the transaction. That's probably why RIM was delayed in implementing this convenient feature...because they want to handle it - a BIS perk
    12-24-11 03:47 PM
    I am not going to use NFC for that. i think its insane.
    12-24-11 08:11 PM
    NFC isn't just about purchasing, it's also about information. For example, you could touch an NFC equipped phone to a bus or train schedule and download the entire schedule, or download information from a poster or advertisement.
    12-24-11 08:14 PM
    NFC isn't just about purchasing, it's also about information. For example, you could touch an NFC equipped phone to a bus or train schedule and download the entire schedule, or download information from a poster or advertisement.
    I'd use it for that but no way I'm putting credit card on it.
    12-24-11 08:16 PM
    Like I'm going to trust verizon with my day to day credit/debit transactions.
    12-24-11 08:43 PM
    Only company I would trust putting my card info on is a bb. Not saying that because I'm a fan but saying it because of their reputation for security. To many iphones and androids from the stars have been hacked, not one bb has.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    12-25-11 08:12 AM
    Let me say that I an a huge Blackberry fan. I own three OS7 devices....thus far. Waiting for a white one. I own a 9800, a 9700, a 9000, a 9300, and an 8310. So I am a huge fan of the platform.

That said, the webkit browser on the 9800 was hacked.

PWN2OWN – Apple v. Google v. Microsoft v. Mozilla v. BlackBerry! | Naked Security

And sadly, the PB was rooted.

I say sadly because from my perspective it's a bad thing. There are many people very happy. I'm not one.

While some platforms are more vulnerable than others, there is not one single platform that is invincible.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-25-11 at 10:06 AM.
    12-25-11 10:03 AM
    Comes down to the same old game. Don't put anything on the phone you might miss if you lose it. Even a remote wipe takes time.
    12-25-11 11:07 AM
    Dvorak might be right about Apple and how they might be using NFC.
    Apple can use iTunes as "The credit card" company and based on the "security" of the iPhones (takes less than 30 minutes to hack any iPhone, iPod Touch, etc), you need to be careful.

Now, the way other companies like Nokia and RIM are using NFC is far safer than your plastic credit card.
    Your card is stored in a secure chip certified for very high level of security and filled with tons of security measures to avoid intruders to access data stored on it.
    Not only your BB is safe and no one can access its data, your credit cards are even more secure in that secure chip.

When you pay for something with your BB, the BB doesn't know it. All communication is directly between the POS (Point Of Sale) reader, the secure chip in the BB, and the credit card company through POS.
    BB OS is not (and can not be) engaged in the transactions. Your credit Card company and POS terminal knows about the transaction.This is the way NFC is designed.
    (If your credit card company is iTunes and your phone is iPhone then you might be in trouble because iPhone is actually an "Air-Head" phone (nice but not very smart))

If you loose your plastic card, you might not find out after several days all depending on when you want to use your card again.
    When you loose your BB (with your credit card in it) you KNOW IT within maximum few hours.
    With the security of the BB, and if you have activate a password for your BB, your card is safe even in hands of others.
    If you have your cards on an iPhone (when they add NFC) or Android, it takes someone half an hour to hack it and start paying for goodies sponsored by you!
    12-25-11 11:29 PM
    Be Warned:
    The government is watching us through our computers.
    Obama is not in control of the U.S. Government.
    Who is in control? Aliens.. They are aware of everything...
    And they are bringing everything down on Dec 21, 2012...
    Why?? They want our Pot.. Dude...
    Ahh HaHa!! Smoke another one dude!!

Ahh... I love some of these conspiracy theories... Long story short; I don't believe the phone companies are trying to control our spending habits.
    Last edited by Clinto; 12-27-11 at 09:06 PM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-27-11 09:01 PM
    Ahh... I love some of these conspiracy theories... Long story short; I don't believe the phone companies are trying to control our spending habits.
    Precisely. All they want is a share of the pot if NFC takes off. The carriers are constantly looking for new sources of revenue so now they are eyeing the lush money trees enjoyed by Visa and Mastercard.

Dvorak is a professional troll. Regularly slags everyone just to stir the waters.
    12-27-11 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD