Weird issue I have been going through with my blackberry for some time. When I try to watch youtube videos on wifi it says the server is blocked or unresponsive but I can turn of wifi right away and the video will work. I will than switch back to wifi and get the same error. Really weird. Has anyone been experiencing this? And also I have loaded diff os so I can't say its the os. It does the same thing with every build.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 03:29 AM
    Is this a work Wifi router... maybe your work blocks YouTube... you're really not giving us a lot of information about the specific Wifi router you're using, nor if you have tried this at other locations... did you do any trouble shooting, or has this only happened at this one location... are you using your Blackberry Browser and going to m.youtube.com... or are you using something else to get these videos????

Way too many unanswered questions to give you a good guess!!!
    04-29-10 05:59 AM
    I have the same issue. Work, home, friends, doesnt seem to matter for me, I have to turn off wifi to stream from m.youtube.com.
    04-29-10 06:32 AM
    I didn't wanna type a thesis on it but its different locations and yes I'm using the bb browser and I used m.youtube.com in the url as well as the youtube launcher which is the same thing but app. My wifi router is a home network and I tried just now on my friends tour and it worked.

04-29-10 08:23 AM
    i've noticed this too... for some reason, on wifi, no go... but when i check, i'm usually on my work wifi, so wondered if it might just be a proxy block thing... i'll have to try at a public wifi hotspot... (i don't have home wifi... abandoned paying for internet a few months ago... now i tether when i need to...)
    04-29-10 08:25 AM
    Thats strange.
    At home, wifi works fine on my Bold for youtube.
    At work was a different issue, but once that was fixed it connects and streams fine.
    Though I did have to disable my mobile network when i use the wifi at the office to get it to connect.
    04-29-10 08:28 AM
    Weird, youtube absolutely FLIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEES on wifi.. doesn't even take 3 seconds to load and almost NEVER stops to buffer (and I only watch the HQ vids).
    04-29-10 08:30 AM
    it must be router dependent then... i'll have to find a hotspot that works just to satisfy my curiosity
    04-29-10 08:32 AM
    I didn't wanna type a thesis on it but its different locations and yes I'm using the bb browser and I used m.youtube.com in the url as well as the youtube launcher which is the same thing but app. My wifi router is a home network and I tried just now on my friends tour and it worked.

I was not asking for a thesis, but a couple words would have helped!!!

And just because your friends device can do it... it might still be the router and YOUR device... try a different router.
    04-29-10 08:37 AM
    We recently bought a new router- a "Linksys by Cisco" WRT120N- to replace our aging off-brand 802.11g one. About the same time, I started getting into streaming video to my 9700. Worked just fine, and was really helpful to quickly test online videos.

By the way, NEVER buy that model. It's slow, has no range, and stops accepting new connections after a few days like clockwork... the only solution being a hard reset each time. Hard to believe, but Linksys/Cisco refuses to fix it, and even pulls complaint posts down off their forums about it. Not kidding.

Anyway, my point is that after finally getting rid of the thing, I went back to the original 802.11g router. Now no video streams over Wifi. I've got no clue why- Netflix works fine on my Wii and HTPC. All laptops in the house work as they should. But for both the 9700's in the house, online streaming simply doesn't work unless we shut off the Wifi and use EDGE (of course, then it doesn't really work because we barely get dial-up speeds, but that's another story). I've tweaked every setting I can find, stood inches from the router, tried different OS versions... nothing, it just won't do it.

So obviously there's some incompatibility with certain routers, even if they work 100% for everything else. OP- you may just be unlucky enough to have a couple of these around. I agree, it's annoying, but everything I've seen points to it being a router issue.
    04-29-10 11:51 AM
    I have a verizon router. But I guess I will deal with it. Ill just stream over 3g.

04-29-10 05:06 PM
    I have the exact same problem but I sware when I first set mine up it would stream over wifi at home for like the first day and then it stopped...
    04-30-10 09:52 AM
    Weird issue I have been going through with my blackberry for some time. When I try to watch youtube videos on wifi it says the server is blocked or unresponsive but I can turn of wifi right away and the video will work. I will than switch back to wifi and get the same error. Really weird. Has anyone been experiencing this? And also I have loaded diff os so I can't say its the os. It does the same thing with every build.

You need to setup port triggering. I had the same problem with mine.

04-30-10 01:55 PM
    I have almost the same problem. Never happened to me until I installed OS 5.0.0.593
    Weird thing is, I'll get the error, go back to the m.youtube page and try again, same error... then on the 3rd or 4th try it suddenly does work.
    Now if it was an issue with the settings on my router, it wouldn't work at all. Seeing how it started happening as soon as I switched over to .593, I suspect it has to do with the OS.

What OS are other people running who have this issue?
    05-01-10 11:19 AM
    I was at a public wifi hotspot yesterday and youtube worked flawlessly over wifi... So my work's wifi router blocks youtube on my 9700 for some reason... So it's definitely a network and/or router issue since on some hotspots youtube over wifi works great...

05-01-10 04:06 PM
    We recently bought a new router- a "Linksys by Cisco" WRT120N- to replace our aging off-brand 802.11g one. About the same time, I started getting into streaming video to my 9700. Worked just fine, and was really helpful to quickly test online videos.

By the way, NEVER buy that model. It's slow, has no range, and stops accepting new connections after a few days like clockwork... the only solution being a hard reset each time. Hard to believe, but Linksys/Cisco refuses to fix it, and even pulls complaint posts down off their forums about it. Not kidding.

Anyway, my point is that after finally getting rid of the thing, I went back to the original 802.11g router. Now no video streams over Wifi. I've got no clue why- Netflix works fine on my Wii and HTPC. All laptops in the house work as they should. But for both the 9700's in the house, online streaming simply doesn't work unless we shut off the Wifi and use EDGE (of course, then it doesn't really work because we barely get dial-up speeds, but that's another story). I've tweaked every setting I can find, stood inches from the router, tried different OS versions... nothing, it just won't do it.

So obviously there's some incompatibility with certain routers, even if they work 100% for everything else. OP- you may just be unlucky enough to have a couple of these around. I agree, it's annoying, but everything I've seen points to it being a router issue.
    I wouldnt doubt that router blows. If your looking for a reliable router, grab a linksys 54GL if you can find one and flash it with dd-wrt. Turns a so so router into a enterprise class uber router for free.
    05-01-10 04:26 PM
    I wouldnt doubt that router blows. If your looking for a reliable router, grab a linksys 54GL if you can find one and flash it with dd-wrt. Turns a so so router into a enterprise class uber router for free.
    Thanks. I would, but we want 802.11n, preferably dual band proper N
    05-01-10 04:51 PM
    Thanks. I would, but we want 802.11n, preferably dual band proper N
    Then I would go with the linksys wrt300n, I have its little brother the 150n flashed with dd-wrt and couldn't be happier with it. the 300n is going to be more expensive, but its worth it.
    I priced the 120n and its no wonder its a POS.
    05-01-10 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD