Everything I have read about the BB10 is idea for me. I am looking forward to leave Android and get myself a new BB. However, I love the YouTube app, it's my used app outside texting. I was curious how good will the BB YouTube app be?
    01-18-13 12:29 AM
    To be determined. It should be pretty decent, and there would be the option of porting/sideloading the Android YouTube app, if all else fails.
    01-18-13 12:33 AM
    There most likely won't be an app...rather just use the browser.

Edit: Never thought of sideloading. Most likely uses Android native code which Android Runtime doesn't support.
    01-18-13 12:33 AM
    There is a YouTube app for the PlayBook, and so there should be one on BB10. In some videos you can see the YouTube icon. It won't be as good as the Google one because Google doesn't expose all API's to third parties.
    GTiLeo likes this.
    01-18-13 12:35 AM
    I do not know for sure...others will have better answers I am sure, but given the superior browser, and the inclusion of flash, I cannot imagine that youtube would be an issue at all.
    01-18-13 12:35 AM
    I appreciate all these answers. They have helped me out immensely.
    01-18-13 12:51 AM
    Not sure if this helps or not, but there is a little API available to 3rd party developers.

YouTube

Invocation attributes to share a video with YouTube: Attribute Value
    Target ID
    Youtube
    Action
    bb.action.SHARE
    URI file:///path/to/content.mp4
    File extensions .3gp, .3gpp, .avi, .flv, .m2v, .mp4, .mov, .webm, .wmv
    To me it says there will be a youtube app, but take it for what it's worth.
    01-18-13 07:46 AM
    There most likely won't be an app...rather just use the browser.

Edit: Never thought of sideloading. Most likely uses Android native code which Android Runtime doesn't support.
    theres an app for the playbook why wouldn't they have one for BB10
    01-18-13 07:48 AM
    I caught this little goodie, in Parental Controls, there is an Upload To YouTube option which led me to believe that YouTube will be an out of the box experience or work well enough to be controlled.
    YouTube for BB10, one of the deciding factors.-img_000000602.png
    A quick look at Parental Control features on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-18-13 08:30 AM
    BB10 browser is so good you can just go to youtube.com, even the playbook is almost perfect on the actual website. RIM has stated in the past its not about shrinking down the internet experience to get on mobile (thats what apps do), Its about bringing mobile up enough to get the full online experince. Mobile computing
    01-18-13 11:04 AM
    If you notice, the current Android YouTube browser is mainly gesture controlled. It would run VERY slickly on BB10. I'm really hoping there will be a similar app...but since YouTube is owned by Google and there have been rumors that Google's services won't be supported on BB10 (is this still true? I might be out of the loop) then that might be something of concern.
    01-18-13 11:16 AM
    BB 10 Browser has a feature that was demonstrated in one of the videos:
    -> you go to a site (say, YouTube), open the page you want (for YouTube, I guess, this would be their homepage as it has search bar etc.)
    -> Now, you can save this in "favorites" (as all browsers can) but you can also save it as a launcher (as an icon on your BlackBerry launcher)
    so, next time you want to go to YouTube, you don't have to open the browser -> and go to YouTube from there. You can simply click on "YouTube" shortcut on your BlackBerry desktop (BlackBerry app launcher) and it'd straight away take you to YouTube

Now, if more and more sites start supporting HTML 5, you won't even need to download any apps as such. Just save those apps as icons on BB and it'd behave like an app!

So, even if YouTube has NO app for BlackBerry, you can have almost app like experience by simply saving YouTube (shortcut/icon) from your BB browser to your BlackBerry desktop (app launcher)
    01-18-13 11:21 AM
    ^^ Agreed. It is a web launcher that you make yourself for any web page you use often. I've done it for banking ,youtube, online movie sites like crackle, and much more. Native apps have their appeal, but when this is your only option you quickly realize it is just as good or better. Even for youtube, they changed their website layout which now works even better on the pb browser with ability to comment. Before it was glitchy and you couldn't comment or like/dislike videos. I posted about this before but nobody cared lol.
    01-18-13 11:32 AM