I can see RIM trying to get a faster and better OS on their phones; but becoming a toy(games) and looking like all these other phones(they all look similar) with their big screens and such is ????? Keep the games, movies, etc on tablets, and other larger screen components where they belong......
    06-23-12 08:08 PM
    Keeping the "games, movies, etc" away from the BB10 handsets will also keep the majority of North American consumers away. There is nothing forcing people who do not like those apps to install the apps. However, the apps need to at least be available if RIM wants to launch a product that will attract the average consumer. If BB10 lacks those apps, it will fail. Anyone who wants to see RIM succeed wants those apps to be available, whether or not he uses them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-23-12 08:19 PM
    Waiting for BB10. I'll take all the games and toys....keep the keyboard and I'm sold. My 2cents.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-23-12 08:21 PM
    I can see RIM trying to get a faster and better OS on their phones; but becoming a toy......

Your point is already a failure...........
    06-23-12 08:22 PM
    Yes... I don't get this. Like there is some sort of App Cyclops that beats you if you don't install games the second they are available...

I agree that RIM needs to define and maintain a tangible identity, but there is no way that a healthy ecosystem hurts RIM that I can think of.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-12 08:25 PM
    I don't want games on my device. Or Skype. I don't need a million apps.

But others do. If RIM ignores them they are written off in North America. In order for me to keep the platform I prefer I must accept the introduction of features I won't use.

Keep my BB intact for my use but make those features available to those who want them. I simply won't get them.

Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-23-12 08:38 PM
    I don't see it as a bad thing that most people to want their phones to be productive and fun at the same time.
    The "tools, not toys" thing is actually bad for RIM. They are literally telling people that Blackberry is boring and all serious.

I personally don't want or need too many apps or games but I also want to have the option to download games and apps without worrying that my phone will freeze or get laggy. If RIM wants to survive, it needs BB phones to provide the same specs as other platforms and enough variety and versatility as to attrack all kinds of people.

Why should people want to have a phone for one thing and a tablet for fun when there are other platforms that offer it all in one device?

Security and a nice keyboard alone is not enough for many people, and hey, you can get things done on other devices too, plus more!
    Splange likes this.
    06-24-12 08:19 AM
    The reason BB went into their slump is because they didn't adapt to the consumer market and their needs. If they don't do it like....now they for sure will go out of business. The free market will be the judge of how well BB will do, and they need to become more consumer friendly and that means more apps, games, and entertainment features
    06-24-12 08:39 AM
    I don't want games on my device. Or Skype. I don't need a million apps.

But others do.
    Agreed. In my opinion RIM is to a great degree losing the fight in the carriers' stores. Without the apps the salespeople will talk BB down. Apps are a requirement just to sell the devices in enough volume so that those of us that really only want the core productivity features can still get them.
    06-24-12 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD