I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on the future of RIM and the future of the end user Blackberry experiences based on this week's announcements. In our company more and more people are wanting the latest and greatest options within their smartphones. We all know here that BB's offer the most secure platform but even certain people in management still want to ignore this just so they can have the new gadgets (iphone/droid/etc). I'm curious if you all think that these announcements will present BB's with the best of both worlds now...security and now the "cool" apps/end user experiences of these insecure gadgets that have come out. Do you anticipate an unleashing of sorts of innovative applications incorporating cutting edge technologies from this point forward on the BB platform or do you think RIM will be lagging behind in innovation?

I would like to think we will now get the best security and the best "flash" going forward for a good 1-2 punch but am just not sure.
    11-12-09 08:40 AM
    I'm no mobile device genius or anything, but I feel like I'm decently tech saavy and I am very happy with my Storm2 in terms of what I use it for (BBM with a lot of friends mainly, mp3, time killer games, fantasy football). I'm also excited about this week's news and interested to see what is to come for RIM and BBs in the future.

Sure I get a little frustrated with some things on my BB once in a while, but I'm sure every mobile phone user has that at some points. I use some of my friends iPhones from time to time to play around with, and yah, Safari is awesome...so hopefully RIM and Torch can work something out in the near future, along with the Flash and OpenGL developments.

Other than a sub-par browser (which doesn't stop me from browsing the web, just wish it was a little better), I am happy with my BB and, again, excited for the next 6-12 months.
    11-12-09 09:53 AM
    Thanks. I agree with your comments about the storm. I can do so much on my Storm to the point where there really is no need for a PC and have been very happy with it. I've always said around the office that in regards to functionality and features there isn't a lot that the BB platform doesn't offer. It doesn't necessarily get the press that others get and this was even mentioned in that that dev podcast posted yesterday. Listening to a podcast like "Buzz Out Loud" it drives me nuts hearing how they discount BB's as "not good phones" but praise these devices that offer half the functionality. I guess that falls in line with maybe a PR issue...

On a funny note.. I read a review of the Droid the other day that showed off this "cool new feature" where you can scan a barcode and it'll show you a place online to buy that product. Of course this has been out for a long time on the BB platform with the "Edocrab" app. So many people I know who are basic consumers would probably think that was the coolest thing since sliced bread and would go buy the phone but here I am thinking that it's old news. Maybe they just need to start marketing these new capabilities more...
    11-12-09 11:18 AM
    I think the end user will be greatly impressed with the fact that the blackberry now have the ability to do what the iPhones/Androids can do. I do however see battery life not play a factor in the mix. I mean think about sure it can play flash, surf the web and super sonic speeds, but on the other hand it takes power to do that stuff, and the batteries only hold so much. So i see it being cool, but not very practical. I have a Blackberry 8900 (4.6.1.310) and a Moto Cliq and the Blackberry stomps the Android in the ground when it comes to battery life.

but with the recent announcement that the only current phone that supports the OpenGL and Flash is the Storm 2's and the upcoming Curve 2's. i see it taking 4-5 years for the ball to get turned around and RIM to start marching down the field with it.

Bottom Line : it was a massive step in the right direction, but you know. You have to learn to walk before you run, and i think it'll take a little time to get up to full speed.

On a funny note.. I read a review of the Droid the other day that showed off this "cool new feature" where you can scan a barcode and it'll show you a place online to buy that product. Of course this has been out for a long time on the BB platform with the "Edocrab" app. So many people I know who are basic consumers would probably think that was the coolest thing since sliced bread and would go buy the phone but here I am thinking that it's old news. Maybe they just need to start marketing these new capabilities more...
    are you aware that the T-Mobile (HTC) G1 had that on it from the factory, and that phone came out in 10/08, the program you mentioned hit RIM's platform just a few months ago, 2 months ago i think. It the Android was the first with the Barcode price scanner program.... that was the major selling point of it when it came out, the iPhone didn't have it at the time.
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-12-09 at 01:14 PM.
    11-12-09 01:05 PM
    The fact they could demo it means there has been agreement in place for some time already.

If the decision was made, and the technical specs cast, prior to Storm 2 and the latest Curve, we can pinpoint it pretty closely. Right about the time the 3GS came to town.

It will take some time for the benifits to filter down, pretty well one machine life cycle for most of us.

11-12-09 02:37 PM
    It's really nothing I'm impressed by. It was a long time coming and for some
    odd reason when these things start to take place I have a good feeling there
    will be a boatload of issues.
    11-12-09 06:09 PM
    RIM's attempt to, once again, play catch up to the current phones.
    11-17-09 06:18 PM
    Falling further and futher behind. Start to innovate RIM instead of playing catchup.
    11-18-09 10:33 AM
    Pretty sad actually. As being someone on a BIS account, I know I can take my business to any smartphone now as push is readily availiable. RIM is going to see the biggest loss from this sector.

I have the Droid now and I'm returning it because the keyboard doesn't work with me, but as soon as an Android phone that fits me comes around I'm gone.

I have loved my past RIM devises, but they are way behind the other techs out there.
    11-18-09 01:34 PM
    I dont believe we will see a cutting edge device until 2011, most of the devices that will be relaesed in 2010 have been in the works for some time.
    11-25-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD