Just sitting here thinking why do we get gouged by wireless providers when we could have a publicly funded wireless spectrum. Since wireless access has become so integral in our everyday lives, just like a stretch of highway or road, why don't we fund wireless access the same. Everybody has access, you decide your vehicle; the phone, tablet. laptop . Am I gone loopy or does this sound like a decent idea?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
    02-23-13 02:35 PM
    It is a good idea but if someone can't stuff their pockets with $$$$ it'll never happen. BTW my town has their own wifi all around town but you have to pay for it just like any other ISP.
    02-23-13 02:39 PM
    Who would pay for the buildout?
    02-23-13 02:49 PM
    id love that as long as the tax everyone would have to pay each month/year wasnt really high but youd run into the problem of people who dont use wifi at all not wanting to pay for it, mobile phone companies wouldnt be happy because thered be less use for data packages (if youre talking about having wifi all over the city for everyone to log into, paid monthly), which wifi company would be the one to get the big contract for it, how would they ration out areas if wifi companies have to share and would we pay the individual companies or pay one amount that the government splits and gives to each company, does the wifi ccompany get to set the monthly tax amount or the government? etc etc etc
    02-23-13 03:27 PM
    I think it exists in some smaller, suburban communities. The intent is to attract business and corporations.
    02-23-13 03:40 PM
    Who would pay the millions, if not more to build it? And, why should citizens pay taxes for it when there are so many more important things tax dollars could/should go towards?
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-23-13 03:54 PM
    I'm talking about 2g, 3g, 4g access not wifi. We already pay millions to these so called service providers for limited usage, at least here in Canada, why not have it like public transit where you pay your monthly fee and have unlimited access with the best technology available. Maybe it's wishful thinking. Oh well, just a thought.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
    02-23-13 04:40 PM
    What makes you think that it would be less expensive if it was run by governments (most likely local governments with limited resources to begin with) that if it was carrier based?
    02-23-13 04:57 PM
    Without getting too political, Lifeline already causes animosity between the reds and blues in the States...I can only imagine what kind of brouhaha would occurs with an entire government controlled network - that's not even including the tinfoil hat crowd. If this ever occurred here I'm guessing it'd be half-baked and pork-barreled.
    02-23-13 05:14 PM
    We used to have free wifi in downtown charleston but they did away with it due to lack of funds because the city was paying for it
    02-23-13 05:45 PM