They are really bad at product management

Steve jobs, as much as I hate iOS was a great product manager; he brought great innovative products to market, on time, using huge launch events to make sure everyone knew, great marketing, in tune with the apple customer profiles.... creating a buzz and lots of demand.

BlackBerry drip feed devices onto the market quietly, country by country, carrier by carrier. They don't capitalise on the buzz of a launch. They drip feed versions of the device instead of releasing a choice of devices. Think of what a great device the silver passport was, but it hit the market a year after all the passport specs were dated. The classic in blue came out 5 months too late... I could go on but very poor product management has killed BB10 and will kill the hardware division completely if they don't up their game.

Stick with Android now IMO

on my Priv
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-08-16 10:41 AM
    In my opinion, blackberry is loosing it's identity and its differentiation among others by going completely into android. However, I am not in a position to know the details of the cost benefit analysis for keeping OS10 in life. Even though priv has the security of blackberry it doesn't feel original BlackBerry device! BlackBerry has to decide what will be its target market and adjust it's marketing strategy accordingly. Security and privacy is the most important factors in technology nowadays and especially in business world! Keeping a unique OS10 and promote it carefully into the correct market segments will bring you success. Globalisation connected all countries through any kind of hardware, therefore BlackBerry needs to expand its global marketing strategy as well! If you want security and privacy they shall be able to convince people!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 11:01 AM
    Fact a home button would have saved bb10.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 11:28 AM
    I think it has two sides. I do like Android but for some reason I just don't see BlackBerry as an Android company. They have always had a strong focus on business, security and privacy. A rare thing nowadays.

On the other side, I think BB10 won't make it as an OS much longer. The whole place is deserted. It's like an isolated world that nobody cares about. Most people have already left, few are staying because of their own stubborn reasons. But I don't see this place being populated again.

Today's world, the Android world, is about connectivity, constant development, fast paced and highly dynamic. A world that BB10 can't cater to in its current state. Those who have hoped that BB10 could become such a place have resigned. Those who stayed never wanted it to be such a place.

I know, this is very metaphorical, but it's kind of how I see it at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 04-10-16 at 12:14 PM.
    04-08-16 02:44 PM
    I believe BlackBerry's best chances of survival lie in BB10. Android market is crowded and it will be more difficult to penetrate that going with BB10. On top of that I think going Android will give them short term relief but kill the business in the long run. The best option is to focus on the enterprise business and also diversifying the hardware business into non phone gadget that can also be used for communication and then let these drive sales for the phones. This will definitely cause losses in the short term but will definitely expand the business and hence the survival of the company

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    04-12-16 10:25 AM
    I believe BlackBerry's best chances of survival lie in BB10. Android market is crowded and it will be more difficult to penetrate that going with BB10. On top of that I think going Android will give them short term relief but kill the business in the long run. The best option is to focus on the enterprise business and also diversifying the hardware business into non phone gadget that can also be used for communication and then let these drive sales for the phones. This will definitely cause losses in the short term but will definitely expand the business and hence the survival of the company

I kinda agree that the Android market is very crowded, and that hardware has almost become a commodity among Android vendors. It will be tough for BlackBerry to make any headway, in the consumer market it's probably impossible.

But I saw nothing that indicated that BB10 had reached bottom yet on sales.... so we really have no idea how small the market for BB10 is. What we do know is that it was already too small to support BB10 development.

As for non-phone gadgets.... why would they need BB10 over QNX?

Sorry but BB10 was doomed when they read that Earning Report in June of 2013....
    04-12-16 11:03 AM
    I believe dropping BB10 is a huge mistake as well as going with android. I am still with BB because of BB10 and the keyboard. I do not like android nor do i like apple. I do not need very many apps and BB had the few i needed. Besides, BB is the best COMMUNICATION device made. period. like many have said, the marketing is what really the root issue at BB. Passport was the step in the right direction, but a huge mistake by only releasing it in the USA via ATT.....ATT does not work in nearly all the places that Verizon does. My company (265K employees strong with over 100K on mobile devices-most (75%) are BB) offer att or verizon so we could get a passport, but most of our employees are on verizon due to better coverage when traveling from say Iowa to NC and then to Eastern shore of Va. bottom line is it can still be pulled out IMHO, but Chen has to stop trying to become the masses with android again and stay in the niche market of those of us who want to communicate not be entertained by our phones. I use classic for work and q10 for personal.....i keep work/personal separate by choice.
    04-12-16 11:27 AM
    I kinda agree that the Android market is very crowded, and that hardware has almost become a commodity among Android vendors. It will be tough for BlackBerry to make any headway, in the consumer market it's probably impossible.

But I saw nothing that indicated that BB10 had reached bottom yet on sales.... so we really have no idea how small the market for BB10 is. What we do know is that it was already too small to support BB10 development.

As for non-phone gadgets.... why would they need BB10 over QNX?

Sorry but BB10 was doomed when they read that Earning Report in June of 2013....
    BB10 is based on QNX software. BlackBerry should unify the OS across all devices it plans to make to increase the number of devices that run what ever OS they decided to have on the various hardware devices.

The app gap is a result of BB10 device numbers being low. By increasing the number of devices running on bb10, developers will be easily persuaded to develop apps for BB10.

silversmith75 likes this.
    04-12-16 01:34 PM
    BB10 is based on QNX software. BlackBerry should unify the OS across all devices it plans to make to increase the number of devices that run what ever OS they decided to have on the various hardware devices.

The app gap is a result of BB10 device numbers being low. By increasing the number of devices running on bb10, developers will be easily persuaded to develop apps for BB10.

Yes BB10 is based on QNX.... that's like saying Android is a Linux product and that you can run any Linux program on Android. Cars that run QNX can't run BB10 apps, and I doubt auto manufacturers would even give QNX a call if they tried to pawn off something as bloated and buggy as BB10 on them.

What other devices are you thinking about? Traffic Light Controllers? Asset Managment devices? Commercial Automation Systems? Medical Devices? Each of these is using a basic QNX kernel to create their own streamlined OS that does just what they need and only what they need.

BB10 is a mobile OS for smartphones... and tablets if there were any. I don't know of any other BlackBerry devices that is would be useful for.
    StephanieMaks and JeepBB like this.
    04-12-16 01:57 PM
    Yes BB10 is based on QNX.... that's like saying Android is a Linux product and that you can run any Linux program on Android. Cars that run QNX can't run BB10 apps, and I doubt auto manufacturers would even give QNX a call if they tried to pawn off something as bloated and buggy as BB10 on them.

What other devices are you thinking about? Traffic Light Controllers? Asset Managment devices? Commercial Automation Systems? Medical Devices? Each of these is using a basic QNX kernel to create their own streamlined OS that does just what they need and only what they need.

BB10 is a mobile OS for smartphones... and tablets if there were any. I don't know of any other BlackBerry devices that is would be useful for.
    With the recent focus on Internet of things, any one of the various smart devices, wearable or even car infotainment systems is a viable option.

The OS may need to be stripped down to the bare minimum with only the basics covered. The android runtime surely has to go. BlackBerry has to develop an ecosystem around this OS

04-12-16 03:36 PM
    In retrospect, it's easy to see that, at the launch of BB10, BlackBerry needed to take a completely different approach to the mobile "Ecosystem" strategy, instead of trying to compete directly with Apple and Google. Unless they were prepared to innovate faster than either, a tall order indeed, they stood no chance in the consumer space.

If they could have accepted and embraced BB10's fate as a niche product for government and certain enterprise customers from the start, and celebrated the simplicity and efficiency of BB10 and independence from Apple and Google, they could have possibly carved out a sustainable business with market share of 2-5%. To do that they would have had to aggressively roll out all the critical enterprise apps and integrations at launch. But, instead of being really good at meeting the needs of enterprise fleets, they tried to compete in the larger consumer space, where they simply didn't have the ecosystem consumers were looking for. The BB10 offering was confusing and deficient from the start.

Even now, I think there is sufficient demand to support a "third way" platform, and that BB10 is technically very capable, and much more efficient than either iOS or Android, but I doubt whether Blackberry is capable of positioning it correctly or if it's even in their business interest to bother.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 04-12-16 at 05:39 PM.
    04-12-16 03:56 PM
    I don't know if it's the best subforum here but i'll ask my question.

If you were John Chen, would you step up your efforts in promoting android by BlackBerry or would you try to save BBOS10 ?

The priv is a great device but it runs android. Android is not as good as BB10 but blackberry improved it.

I think bb10 is dead. It is declining and it won't make it threw the 2020's. And you ?

Posted via CB10
    NO, save BB10. Why, because it's better and they come so far! We've come so far.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 03:57 PM
162 ... 567