Don't you think this threads title is somewhat provocative? Say, for instance, that a BB10 die-hard like myself, were to come in here giving it large, it would be deemed that this person is the aggressor.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    BB10? I think I went to school with a BB10...
    02-16-16 03:03 PM
    I'm of the opinion that BlackBerry should exit the hardware business completely at the consumer level, and just focus on making BlackBerry software like the Hub, keyboard, blend, etc. available to Android phones. That appears to be the direction they are headed anyway.

Truthfully, there are several Android hand set makers that sell quality devices for less money than BlackBerry ever could. Yes, the Priv is a neat device, but if demand for PKB phones was really all that hot, other OEM's would be selling them. Once you get past the keyboard , the Priv offers little else to the consumer that isn't already available elsewhere for less money.

Besides security, BlackBerry has no added value in the consumer space and most consumers couldn't care less about security.

Just my .06

Z10, 10.3.2.858, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-16-16 03:15 PM
    the Priv offers little else to the consumer that isn't already available elsewhere for less money.
    Perhaps, but the Priv does offer the hardware root of trust and secure bootchain, which is something that helps them with their BYOD and secure enterprise play.

But you're right in the sense that devices are secondary anyways to the BES/Good/Watchdox EMM bundle. The Priv was Louks' "let's give it one last shot" pet project.
    02-16-16 03:19 PM
    Perhaps, but the Priv does offer the hardware root of trust and secure bootchain, which is something that helps them with their BYOD and secure enterprise play.
    Agreed. But, as I said, so few people even care about that. iOS and Android are already roaming the halls and servers of corporate America without any certification, etc. Only gov't cares about that stuff and as we see, that is too small of a market to sustain or grow BlackBerry.

02-16-16 03:30 PM
    Agreed. But, as I said, so few people even care about that. iOS and Android are already roaming the halls and servers of corporate America without any certification, etc. Only gov't cares about that stuff and as we see, that is too small of a market to sustain or grow BlackBerry.

I'm just hoping that if BlackPhone can sell a million devices to enterprise, then BlackBerry Android can sell 3-5 million (which is all they need). Fingers crossed.
    02-16-16 03:36 PM

But you're right in the sense that devices are secondary anyways to the BES/Good/Watchdox EMM bundle.
    If a PKB and Security is all they have to differentiate themselves from other Android OEM, and to try and justify the higher cost of their hardware. I just don't see them being successful in the consumer market. Yes Enterprise and Government will consider BlackBerry's Android solution along with the other security focused Android products.... but I don't see that making Chen's 5 Million device mark. Maybe if they hold prices high, or go even higher in the future... it will allow BlackBerry hardware to remain profitable with lower volume. And will allow those that really want a BlackBerry an option to still have the option to obtain one.

But Chen really made it clear the PRIV was focused more on the consumer market... and Privacy. Security and Enterprise really hasn't been their target... at least not yet. Maybe with Marshmallow that will all change.

Speaking of which... there have been a lot of older Android phones getting the Marshmallow update this week. Sure hope that BlackBerry already has it in testing with US Carriers so that Verizon will launch the PRIV with Marshmallow. (whenever that ends up being)
    02-16-16 03:49 PM
    The only other thought I have on this issue is that we do see Apple and Google trying to make inroads into the secured space now that they have the consumer market locked up. Could it be BlackBerry is doing the same thing just in reverse? Hmmmm....

02-16-16 05:20 PM
    BlackBerry has already abandoned BB10 and put its focus on Android. I know it's hard to tell because even 100% of BlackBerry focus looks anemic compared to any other android maker.

BlackBerry10 is dead. Chen wants android to fail too, so its tenure in Android will be short lived.

The only hope for a BlackBerry fan to have hardware for any OS at all is if Chen is sent packing. But it looks like Chen has free reign to play his fiddle while Waterloo burns.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    You are totally out in the bush with your assessment, you need to turn it all around and then it might make sense.

Powered by BB10
    Last edited by mousii; 02-16-16 at 10:48 PM.
    02-16-16 06:16 PM
    I hope BlackBerry give all the BlackBerry 10 features to the android os if they decide to go 100% android

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-16-16 07:31 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 09:05 PM
    It is poor marketing not the choice of OS which ruined BB phone.
    And there is no change in BB attitude even today.
    02-17-16 12:49 AM
    Probably. There's no potential shareholder value in the OS side of things. Let someone else do the heavy lifting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-17-16 01:00 AM
    There will always be those that wish to choose a Studebaker rather than a Ford or Chevy ! but no company can survive with small numbers of supporters/buyers however fanatical they maybe.
    02-17-16 02:25 AM
    BB10 has been the home grown product of Blackberry and has been the backbone in the past years and still it has huge potential subject to many conditions . BB10 never reached its peak before being sidelined. Android platform has been widely accepted has already peaked much before and who knows a new platform shall come and take over with storm and Blackberry will be again caught napping . IMHO they should promote their home grown BB10 OS which is their core strength and is considered by many the best OS in the world .
    02-17-16 04:34 AM
    It's pretty the same if you ask, "should Kanye West focus on fashion business and forget about music career?"

Blackberry just need to translate/put decent keyboard layout letters for BB10 to iOS or android supported languages level, push devices to the same markets/regions worldwide iOS/android are and put devices available on stock in stores with others. That's how to make sales 101. Almost done, just forgot to translate Operating System
    Last edited by novapolskas; 02-17-16 at 06:24 AM.
    02-17-16 05:25 AM
    Why is it an either-or choice? Ford sells both trucks and cars. More than a few happy Ford truck owners also buy Ford cars & vice-versa. Ford also sells flagship products that advertise themselves. No one ever believed that Shelby's Cobras should be the total future of the company. Or even ever turn a profit. Flagships generate interest & establish creds. Time after time BlackBerry's flagship products become their most popular. Is there a lesson to learn there?

My vote, fwiw, would be to continue BB10 as a secure & reliable work truck product, droid as a consumer model and get a flagship Samsung killer out there that droid kids can drool over. Pack that flagship with specs & numbers enough to establish creds and to attract attention in spite of lame marketing. Subtract losses from their non-existent marketing budget and then offer a consumer grade "sorta like" at consumer friendly pricing. ?? Oh well, probably a good thing that John hasn't called for my advice lately... Lol.
    02-17-16 06:44 AM
    Android. Make or break.
    Then it's already broken because priv is selling less than bb10 Z10 did when introduced. Yes, I know there are excuses, but that's the hard to accept truth.
    Last edited by sorinv; 02-17-16 at 07:13 AM.
    02-17-16 07:00 AM
    Than it's already broken because priv is selling less than bb10 Z10 did when introduced. Yes, I know there are excuses, but that's the hard to accept truth.
    You might be right, but we have absolutely no idea, as the numbers aren't public, and they are just now finally populating all of the distribution channels.

But they only need to sell 3-5 million a year instead of 10+.
    Last edited by conite; 02-17-16 at 07:38 AM.
    02-17-16 07:08 AM
    No.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    02-17-16 07:10 AM
    Why is it an either-or choice? Ford sells both trucks and cars. More than a few happy Ford truck owners also buy Ford cars & vice-versa. Ford also sells flagship products that advertise themselves. No one ever believed that Shelby's Cobras should be the total future of the company. Or even ever turn a profit. Flagships generate interest & establish creds. Time after time BlackBerry's flagship products become their most popular. Is there a lesson to learn there?

My vote, fwiw, would be to continue BB10 as a secure & reliable work truck product, droid as a consumer model and get a flagship Samsung killer out there that droid kids can drool over. Pack that flagship with specs & numbers enough to establish creds and to attract attention in spite of lame marketing. Subtract losses from their non-existent marketing budget and then offer a consumer grade "sorta like" at consumer friendly pricing. ?? Oh well, probably a good thing that John hasn't called for my advice lately... Lol.
    Do they lose money on any of those vehicles? It would be interesting to know.
    02-17-16 07:50 AM
    Probably. There's no potential shareholder value in the OS side of things. Let someone else do the heavy lifting.
    I think there's plenty of heavy lifting involved in keeping the BlackBerry features and security enhancements compatible with each iteration and update to Android. But at least in return for that heavy lifting they get the ecosystem advantages that Android brings. There just doesn't seem to be a business case for putting much work into BB10, beyond maintaining it for a while for existing customers.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 07:51 AM
    From a shareholder perspective? I think Blackberry should get out of mobile hardware. It neither has the resources nor the talent to compete in the mobile space.

I think this should have been clear prior to even the launch of BB10; but, company pride and a feeling of obligation to not mass layoff employees pushed upper management to attempt the OS, anyway.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-16 08:40 AM
    Do they lose money on any of those vehicles? It would be interesting to know.
    I certainly have no inside info but would be shocked if Shelby's Cobra project turned a profit from direct sales. Same with Honda's RCBs of the 60s. I doubt that any of Yamaha's Kenny Roberts GP racers themselves turned profit but the RZV500 "repli-racer" likely at least broke even. All part of the price of perception.

Early 50's Pontiacs were popularly perceived as "slow, old school, old-man" products. Sound familiar? GTO ultimately destroyed that perception, while returning profit. BUT, Pontiac still profitably sold station wagons, etc. Because the GTO made it "OK" for younger guys to be seen in a Pontiac.

Is there a way to extrapolated that concept to BB? Idk. BB's certainly in no position to eat losses of any kind. BUT, "marketing doesn't cost, it pays" ya kno... Fwiw from this armchair. Lol.
    TgeekB and ubizmo like this.
    02-17-16 08:56 AM
    I certainly have no inside info but would be shocked if Shelby's Cobra project turned a profit from direct sales. Same with Honda's RCBs of the 60s. I doubt that any of Yamaha's Kenny Roberts GP racers themselves turned profit but the RZV500 "repli-racer" likely at least broke even. All part of the price of perception.

Early 50's Pontiacs were popularly perceived as "slow, old school, old-man" products. Sound familiar? GTO ultimately destroyed that perception, while returning profit. BUT, Pontiac still profitably sold station wagons, etc. Because the GTO made it "OK" for younger guys to be seen in a Pontiac.

Is there a way to extrapolated that concept to BB? Idk. BB's certainly in no position to eat losses of any kind. BUT, "marketing doesn't cost, it pays" ya kno... Fwiw from this armchair. Lol.
    Nice examples. I think each situation and market has its own unique set of circumstances that have to be met for it to work out. Something may not be profitable on its own but brings sales to the overall product line. As you said, I don't think Blackberry is able to lose money much longer. We'll have to see how it turns out.
    02-17-16 09:18 AM

I like your analogy. BlackBerry has not had a true flagship since BB10 released. The passport doesn't count IMO due to its looks. This community was bitterly divided over the huge square phone prior to its release. No sleek all touch. No top of the line hardware just pkb after pkb. The public Turned away from pkb years ago.

!
    02-17-16 09:38 AM
162 1234 ...