I don't know if it's the best subforum here but i'll ask my question.

If you were John Chen, would you step up your efforts in promoting android by BlackBerry or would you try to save BBOS10 ?

The priv is a great device but it runs android. Android is not as good as BB10 but blackberry improved it.

I think bb10 is dead. It is declining and it won't make it threw the 2020's. And you ?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 05:05 AM
    Blackberry still has contractual agreements to support OS10 for the government and enterprise folks who bought into using it and are not going to run out and buy new devices to change platforms. I think if they expect to survive in the consumer device market in the long term, Android OS is the only option they have as this point.

The bar has already been set and Android and IOS are the new kings on the block and have embedded themselves into the mainstream culture. Even Microsoft with all their capital and resources could not make a dent in the market with Window mobile.

The biggest issue I have seen here in the USA is the brand has all but been forgotten about and the way that T-Mobile is marketing the new Priv, they don't have a chance of making any sort of comeback here.

The sales folks here are all geared towards the iPhone and Galaxy devices and the T-Mobile stores I have been to have the shiny new Priv mixed in with last years devices and some stores don't even have demo units and/or devices in stock they could sell you even if you did want to buy one.

This all goes back to Blackberry, no marketing or advertising, the product is set to fail here, sad, but thats just the reality of the current situation folks.
    Last edited by bakron1; 02-16-16 at 07:37 AM.
    02-16-16 05:24 AM
    I love bb10 hope to c more

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-16-16 06:41 AM
    I don't believe android will do anything to save blackberry. If anything it will help to end the hardware division. The resources spent on developing the android device would have been much better suited developing a high end all touch BB10 device. Even without a major BB10 upgrade I feel it would sell better than the priv.
    02-16-16 06:45 AM
    Well said bakron1 (two posts above). To add to that I am actually amazed that they even sell phones because honestly it is hard to pick a BlackBerry in a store.
    Whoever is interested in a bb10 needs to go determined to buy a BlackBerry or they will never see one. I think these people anyway buy online... like me

Powered by BB10
    BerrySoul and AllanQuatermain like this.
    02-16-16 07:17 AM
    BlackBerry has already abandoned BB10 and put its focus on Android. I know it's hard to tell because even 100% of BlackBerry focus looks anemic compared to any other android maker.

BlackBerry10 is dead. Chen wants android to fail too, so its tenure in Android will be short lived.

The only hope for a BlackBerry fan to have hardware for any OS at all is if Chen is sent packing. But it looks like Chen has free reign to play his fiddle while Waterloo burns.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-16-16 07:37 AM
    I'd prefer if they were to continue BlackBerry 10, but it doesn't matter at this point because we're all fairly aware that BlackBerry 10 wasn't exactly selling. It had potential, but it wasn't marketed very well.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-16-16 07:48 AM
    BB10 will continue with small updates for corporate clients. Android is the new consumer direction for Blackberry. They need to find a way to market it as being different and therefore a new choice for people to try.
    02-16-16 08:15 AM
    In my opinion BlackBerry should focus on true crossplatform and not just Android. There is no use for software packages in the long term if they cannot adapt to different operating systems.

In two years Android could be obsolete or outclassed by something new, and BlackBerry would again be running behind instead of ahead of the curve (like how BB10 was too late to ever win over a large enough crowd).

They should maintain BB10 like BBOS, for current users, maybe throwing a little bone now and then. But seeing as software is really gonna be their thing, they should make sure to not have tunnel vision there.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-16-16 08:17 AM
    In my opinion BlackBerry should focus on true crossplatform and not just Android. There is no use for software packages in the long term if they cannot adapt to different operating systems.

In two years Android could be obsolete or outclassed by something new, and BlackBerry would again be running behind instead of ahead of the curve (like how BB10 was too late to ever win over a large enough crowd).

They should maintain BB10 like BBOS, for current users, maybe throwing a little bone now and then. But seeing as software is really gonna be their thing, they should make sure to not have tunnel vision there.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    What cross platform OS would you suggest? iOS is closed for use on other devices. Windows is an option, but it's marketshare is falling. Let's face it it's a Android world if you are looking for an OS that is for sale to install on hardware you plan to build (or have built).

Now for their EMM Solutions and Apps... yes they should also be looking at iOS. And maybe Windows if they want to include more traditional PC devices - one fault of BES was not managing Windows Laptops and Tablets.
    02-16-16 08:30 AM
    As a business professional or corporation,would you trust or throw your hat in with a company that has transitioned through 3 Operating Systems in less than a decade. Let alone, would abandoned their own platform in support of the competition. To many, that would exhibit a lack of commitment to your products and your customers.

And what guarantee would you have that same company wouldn't one day abandon your investment as well, when history shows that to be their practice.
    A company's reputation is as much as an asset as the products they sell.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 09:01 AM
    Whatever the strategy is regarding BB10, there's no reason to announce it because that would just cause unnecessary consternation. BB10 goes into maintenance mode. The core enterprise customers on this platform aren't looking for the latest consumer features - there using BlackBerries after all Your customers who want app will migrate to your new devices and new platforms.

You can't cater to the fans of your existing technology when you need to make a change. If anyone would learn that lesson over the past decade it would be BlackBerry.
    sorinv and LuvULongTime like this.
    02-16-16 09:04 AM
    Either go all in with Android or pack up the hardware division.
    02-16-16 09:12 AM
    02-16-16 09:17 AM
    Android. Make or break.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-16-16 09:36 AM
    Bb10. Was by far a better platform. But they are hard to sell when no one knows your there. And those that do are put off by un informed store clerks.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    02-16-16 10:14 AM
    I would probably do what JC is doing, which means I would further harden the security of the BB10 platform and fix any bugs of the existing features to preserve the user experience.

Focusing the resources on Google Android seems also reasonable.

Keep in mind, the biggest problem for BB10 are the app gap and brand awareness.
    Apparently the app gap of BB10 cannot be fixed by BlackBerry but the dev community, while the Priv is a good shot to create brand awareness.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 10:30 AM
    Bb10. Was by far a better platform. But they are hard to sell when no one knows your there. And those that do are put off by un informed store clerks.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 was the better OS.... trying to offer BB10 as part of a platform is where they fell flat. How do I install Apps? How do I install Movies? How do I install music? How do I install books? These are questions that most Android and iOS users never really have to research too much. They sure don't have to download hacks. Nor do they have to worry if access to purchased content might one day become inaccessible.

In my experience the store clerks knew enough to know that BB10 was not for the average user. Most US Carrier moved the phones out of the stores for that very reason. Some here expect store clerks to be able to talk about sideloading and installing hacks to get apps.... if BlackBerry isn't talking about it, neither will sales people.
    02-16-16 11:03 AM
    Android crap vs BB10 Os greatness. No comparison. BB10 rules.

  
    02-16-16 11:41 AM
    [QUOTE=Doggerz;12267651]

BlackBerry10 is dead. Chen wants android to fail too, so its tenure in Android will be short lived.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-16-16 11:48 AM
    Yes, because it solves one of the biggest obstacles BB10 had to face-a lack of apps. They can now court people who left because of the app situation with a device that provides them. Of course, BB has to let people know that their Android offerings exist(as well as the company), and marketing hasn't exactly been their strong suit. The downside is that they've become just another struggling Android OEM left in Samsung's wake, not to mention Apple's.
    02-16-16 01:03 PM
    It's too late to think about android by BlackBerry.

 10
    phuoc likes this.
    02-16-16 01:16 PM
    In your opinion, should blackberry focus on android and forget bb10 ?
    I thought they already had.
    02-16-16 02:38 PM
    Don't you think this threads title is somewhat provocative? Say, for instance, that a BB10 die-hard like myself, were to come in here giving it large, it would be deemed that this person is the aggressor.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    02-16-16 02:39 PM
    Don't you think this threads title is somewhat provocative? Say, for instance, that a BB10 die-hard like myself, were to come in here giving it large, it would be deemed that this person is the aggressor.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    I think this can be talked about in a sterile, non-emotional way though. I believe the question has little to do with preference, but all to do with what strategy one believes is the best for BlackBerry to embrace knowing what we know about the metrics and the financials.

Given that, here is my sober assessment (as a user and fan of both):

With BB10 having crashed in the consumer and BYOD space, and the fact that the number of ultra-secure customers out there is nowhere near the profitability breakeven point for an independent OS, the answer seems obvious to me.

I don't know if the Android play will work, but I KNOW that BB10 didn't.
    Last edited by conite; 02-16-16 at 03:09 PM.
    02-16-16 02:54 PM
162 123 ...