How does everyone else's GPS work? Good? Bad?

Mine only seems to work outside. If I check-in to Facebook, or add a location during a Tweet, it can be pretty unreliable indoors (and sometimes outdoors) unless on wifi. Is this normal? Is it my phone, or the network, or the app?

03-10-11 04:01 PM
    GPS's need to be away from barriers like walls, rooves etc. especially metal, for satellites to receive a signal. It's like your phone not working within some buildings. Out in the open, the GPS can be accurate up to 3 meters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 06:18 PM
    The BlackBerry GPS (in my experience) is very reliable (ie accurate). However, the receiver chip is also very weak in comparison to standalone GPS receivers.

It's therefore to be expected that the GPS receiver might not get a signal indoors especially in a building with thick or metal walls or roof.

WiFi should have no affect on the GPS signal.
    03-10-11 06:23 PM
    I live in a 2 story house and the GPS on my 9700 easily finds me on the lower floor. I work in a single level office building with earth berms half way up the concrete and brick walls. Don't know what the roof is made of, but GPS easily works inside my office too. I also have an LG Optimus T. The GPS connects faster outdoors, but doesn't seem as sensitive (accurate) as the 9700. Outdoors is always better, but my experience with the GPS on the 9700 is excellent.
    03-10-11 10:03 PM
    I've found the Blackberry GPS to be sufficiently good for my needs.
    03-10-11 10:24 PM
    My Bold GPS is very reliable.

03-10-11 11:21 PM
    I navigate in my rig with it regularly. As long as I have a fix on where I'm going, it has been remarkably accurate

03-11-11 12:34 AM
    My GPS never let me down. Pretty accurate and reliable.
    03-11-11 01:47 AM
    My GPS is odd. With the Foursquare app it won't determine where I am at all and I have to search for my location manually, but if I use something like Facebook Places or Google Maps, it will get my location almost instantly.

So to answer your question - yes and no.
    03-12-11 02:34 PM
    maybe its just me but my gps sucks. if i just the check in on facebook it shows i am in a field 3 blocks away and it dont matter if i am inside or outside. also if i am at house number 800 it will say something like 884 which is annoying. but if i use it for driving its good so its not the best on the torch
    03-12-11 08:16 PM
    Works great on my 9000. On Google Maps, I can see myself moving through my house. BB Traffic is dead-on.
    03-12-11 08:33 PM
    Do you have location aiding turned on? Might help with speed a little but GPS itself is not affected by Wi-Fi or network signal.

03-13-11 12:37 PM
    Mine is pretty accurate, even indoors sometimes. I find that when it's in my pocket, though, I get some mixed results. I like to rollerblade and have used GPSLogger to track me. Then loaded it into Google Earth and it showed a jumpy pattern. So IDK. Works great when I'm driving and it's on the seat next to me, though.

03-13-11 12:53 PM
    maybe its just me but my gps sucks. if i just the check in on facebook it shows i am in a field 3 blocks away and it dont matter if i am inside or outside. also if i am at house number 800 it will say something like 884 which is annoying. but if i use it for driving its good so its not the best on the torch
    A couple of thinks.

1) does the Facebook app actually uses the GPS, or just tower triangulation?

2) about the address, it's not the GPS it's the maps. Maps assume a certain distance between house numbers. Usually an average of the (low address - High address)/Length of street. If the sub-division is not built to that average, the number will be off.
    03-14-11 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD