I'm new to the BB and today It had its first major drop. I was sitting in my lap and when I went to get out of my truck it went to the pavement. It got several minor scratches on the screen and sides but nothing major. I figured I would start this thread to see how and what happened on every one elses first drop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-07 11:05 AM
    I was at a concert. I was putting it back into the holster on my belt. Missed the holster and hit the ground. My heart stopped. Some gouges in the plastic on the top and back. In the 4 months I've had it...only drop.
    10-22-07 11:21 AM
    Havent dropped it, I use a holster. But I cannot figure out why people put these things on their lap when driving. My girlfriend does this.
    10-22-07 11:45 AM
    I always put mine there so I don't have to fight my holster I can just pick it up. And there's 2 kinds of cell phone users, those that have droped there phones and those that will so be careful lol

10-22-07 11:54 AM
    Or maybe there are 2 kinds, those that are careful with things and those that like the vibration in their lap.
    10-22-07 12:10 PM
    Haha I'm careful I'm just forgetful too

10-22-07 12:13 PM
    I've had my curve for 2 months now and have never came close to dropping my little beauty. If I did drop her my heart would stop beating momentarily. The reason I know this I saw my wife drop her curve in the garage and both of our hearts stopped working. I thought she was going to cry and if she would have I would have understood; however she had a protective skin on it and didn't suffer one scratch. I think that I better knock on wood...
    10-22-07 01:04 PM
    I dropped mine 2 days ago. And yes, my heart stopped beating for a second and heard a defeaning silince and I got numb. Good thing I got the hardcase and it just bounced on the carpet. But still! Hate when I have butterfingers
    10-22-07 01:08 PM
    My first drop with my first BB came less than 24 hours after its activation, about a year and a half ago. It was a Nextel 7520. I was walking in my driveway, and I went to grab it out of the holster and it slipped out of my hands as it was exiting the grasp of the holster. I tried to recover and save it only to get the tip of my middle finger on its edge sending it into not only an accelerated fall but at drastic spin.

When it hit the pavement, it rolled, the battery cover came off and the battery ejected - Basically a "yard sale". The recessed screen survived without a scratch, but the rest had gouges and scratches throughout. I did not drop the thing after that.

So last week I upgraded to the 8830 World Edition. I didn't activate it without a Body Guardz on it.
    10-22-07 01:46 PM
    Haven't dropped it yet... but with previous phones, I've attempted the "foot" catch in hopes it doesn't it the ground,... or hits a little softer! Gotta protect my baby! LOL
    10-22-07 01:54 PM
    Had my 8830 for about 2 months and dropped it when I had to hop a fence. My heart dropped for a few minutes..... The corners were banged up and 1 tiny scratch on the screen so I got a plastic cover but for some reason it doesn't protect the screen, god forbid.
    10-22-07 03:17 PM
    I've had two blackberry's, and I've never dropped them. buuuuut...

with my first blackberry, when working at a restaurant I kept the bb in my backpocket so that it didn't get any food or liquid spilled on it through my front pocket. But one day i slipped on a spilled drink and fell flat on my ****. I took out my once flawless extension of myself to find a shattered screen.
    That's when i found out that the woman at the phone store didn't actually put the insurance on my account for my $500 dollar phone.

So I had to suck it up and use this now useless touch tone phone for 3 months...

Until I my contract was finally up and I upgraded last week to the 8830 WE!!!

BUT today I longboarded down to the local pizza shop, and OF COURSE I couldn't leave my little berry at home; WHAT IF THE WORLD NEEDED ME?

On the way home an hour ago my front wheel hit a small rock, sending me tumbling through the air and leaving me with less skin on my hands than I would prefer, but at least he blackberry was safe in its case in my pocket!

I didn't feel any pain until I took out my precious friend and discovered another shattered screen.

At least this time I made sure I had insurance!!!!!!!
    10-22-07 09:54 PM
    I dropped my 8830 for the first time last week in a parking garage. Luckily it was in the holster, which I only use at certain times. Also I successfully used the aforementioned foot trick! Just a very tiny scratch on the chrome corner.

10-22-07 10:17 PM
    I've read all these horror stories about dropping you BB till I can't ake it any more! I used to have a Treo (before I saw the error of my ways and converted to BB) that I kept a skin on all the time. Wouldn't you know, the one day I take it off, I dropped it getting out of my truck! It suffered a few minor scratches--just enough to prevent me from listing it as "mint condition" on eBay.

I read something about insurance. Does AT&T insure the BBs? I'm calling tomorrow to find out...
    10-22-07 11:26 PM
    I'm new to the BB and today It had its first major drop. I was sitting in my lap and when I went to get out of my truck it went to the pavement. It got several minor scratches on the screen and sides but nothing major. I figured I would start this thread to see how and what happened on every one elses first drop.

You might want to look into Shield Zone ... invisibleSHIELD | iPod Case, Screen Protector, Cover, Shield, Skin, Invisible Shield

I've used screen protectors in the past but Shield Zone is just amazing. It's an invisible indestructable film that covers MOST (not all) of your BlackBerry. It would still be possible to scratch a couple places on your BB that wouldn't be covered (principally your keyboard) but most of the rest of your BB would be protected.

It's not cheap, but it is a very good value. It also minimizes the face and finger oil most of us get on our phones all day. It's worth it just for that. I can use my BB all day and not be bothered by oil residue.

I highly recommend this product.
    10-22-07 11:53 PM
    I dropped my 8800 on the garage floor the other day and freaked. I scrambled as fast as I could to pick it up. Fortunately it only had a minor scratch at the top, but I still spent a good 10 minutes trying to buff it out with a micro-fiber towel.I learned my lesson to not try and carry it in my hand while bringing bags of groceries inside.

10-23-07 11:38 PM
    Thankfully, I havent have any signifficant drops. In regards to the users who put the phone on thier lap while driving -- yikes! That is crazy. I put my phone in the door handle slot on my car, that way I dont have to fight with the holster when it rings or vibes.
    10-24-07 06:39 AM
    Mine stays in my holster, but I have a car that has the bluetooth throughout the car. It announces who is calling, so I dont have to pick it up.
    10-24-07 07:11 AM
    Mine happened yesterday. I saw a spider. =/
    10-24-07 07:24 AM
    Mine happened yesterday. I saw a spider. =/
    And decided to throw your phone at it???
    10-24-07 09:13 AM
    dropped 1 time and no damage and still working great
    10-24-07 10:45 AM
    I didn't drop mine... I dropped scissors ONTO mine. ...got a small gash on the screen. Did a search on here for good protectors that didn't turn my nice slim 8800 into a FATASSBLACKBERRY and saw the invisibleSHEILD. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I had it within a few days and the gash that was on the screen is now not even visible. It's not perfect (it does attract dirt around the edges which is REALLY annoying and a bit gross) but otherwise it's fantastic. It's actually all I use... no holster no case or anything.
    10-24-07 12:52 PM
    I have 2 Blackberrys and haven't dropped one. I have had a 7100t for going on 2 years now still haven't dropped it. I had an 8100pearl and never dropped it but I had it stolen off my hip while I was working.
    10-25-07 12:13 PM
    I had the most amazing thing happen today. I was walking through wal mart and it was pretty busy and some guy ran in to me knocking my baby off my hip and I suceeded in the foot catch! See playing hacky sack when I was in school payed off

10-26-07 09:06 AM
    I dropped my 8800 on the garage floor the other day and freaked. I scrambled as fast as I could to pick it up. Fortunately it only had a minor scratch at the top, but I still spent a good 10 minutes trying to buff it out with a micro-fiber towel.I learned my lesson to not try and carry it in my hand while bringing bags of groceries inside.

I've dropped my Pearl twice now--both times on the sidewalk, and it's been going along like a champ-thank god. But yeah, talk about scary-LOL
    10-26-07 09:24 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD